#16 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 1,604 Thanks
  • 1,017 posts

Posted June 22, 2017 - 10:58 AM

Welcome to GTT and congrats on your new PK and attachments.

• S76 said thank you

#17 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,226 Thanks
  • 43,339 posts

Posted June 22, 2017 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for your service!

#18 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • Member No: 87401
  • 37 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for your service!

Hi KennyP,

No, I did not serve. All my helicopter experience was civilian. Actually I was in the process of signing up when the draft stopped.

Bob
  • KennyP said thank you

#19 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,246 Thanks
  • 755 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 06:43 PM

Cool stuff! That was quite the giveaway. Congrats!! :thumbs:

• S76 said thank you

#20 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 37 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 04:12 PM

Well, the honeymoon is over! I knew this tractor had issues. But I thought with a little work I could play with it for a yr before starting a complete resto mod. That isn't going to happen. I think this tractor caught fire at some point. The headlights are missing as is all the wiring. It has been repainted and I can't find a s/n anywhere. It has just been rewired enough to run, no charging wires or rectifier. These items are no big deal, but, the loader is cracked to bad to be used. No brakes, linings are gone. 2nd transmission is full of water with bad bearings. The bolts that hold the frame to the gear reduction housings are loose and won't tighten without removing the cover. Soooooo......

Therefore, I am shifting gears. I am going to completely disassemble this thing, drag all the pieces into the basement and start rebuilding it piece by piece. Hopefully I can put up some procedures that others may find useful. I have already started a brake re-line procedure that I hope to post.

Bob
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#21 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,226 Thanks
  • 43,339 posts

Posted June 27, 2017 - 06:51 PM

Hi KennyP,

No, I did not serve. All my helicopter experience was civilian. Actually I was in the process of signing up when the draft stopped.

Bob

You still 'served' in a sense!

• S76 said thank you

#22 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 37 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 09:59 AM

Found a little time to start tearing the old girl down.

IMG_1294.JPG

I need to get it in the basement for winter project work. The engine doesn't smoke at all. Except for needing a new carb which I got off the Internet new for $30.

But I would really like to put a 23 HP Predator on instead. The twins are so smooth. Has anyone done this?

One of the trans had water in it due to a bad shifter boot. I haven't disassembled it completely to find the extent of the damage.

IMG_1295.JPG

Anyone have a trans for sale?

Lastly I want to thank the forum. By reading I have learned most of the weak spots or parts prone to breaking so I can address these during the build. Great info. Thanks

Bob
  • Austen and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#23 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • 1,246 Thanks
  • 755 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 11:23 AM

Nice job!

Before you do the engine swap, I'd run the big single for a while before you totally rule out that you don't like its performance or character. These tractors have low gearing and combined with the low-end torque of the single, you'll be hard pressed to find much that'll stall the motor out even at lower revs. :thumbs:

Regarding the T-92 trans, they're not too hard to come by. You could post a "want" ad here and I'd also suggest asking on the Yahoo PK group as well. These transmissions are often found on Ebay too but you don't always know the internal condition of them.

Edited by Austen, August 04, 2017 - 11:25 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#24 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,570 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 12:17 PM

Hi  2X what Ausren posted you will not find a better engine tractor combo the the Kohlers, I have read where a fellow installed a V twin 20 hp Honda but it involved lots a machine work, hogshead adapter engine mounts and when he was all thought the engine sat 4" higher and the hood didn't fit, I have a couple of Kohler K321 / 14 hp tractor the Kohler runs pretty nice and has lots and lots of torque which the V twins don't have.

• KennyP, Austen and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#25 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • 1,246 Thanks
  • 755 posts

Posted August 04, 2017 - 06:54 PM

I have a couple of Kohler K321 / 14 hp tractor the Kohler runs pretty nice and has lots and lots of torque which the V twins don't have.

Yup, the single and v-twins have completely different powerbands. The v-twins make all their power up top and like to be wound out which is better suited for hydrostats IMO where they need to be at those RPMs anyway to operate at their peak.

If you're at full tilt all the time with the RPMs on a gear drive, it's not always so good in situations where you need to creep along unless you have the secondary trans and gear it down really low.

• MNGB and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#26 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 37 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 10, 2017 - 07:11 PM

Thank you all for your opinions on staying with the Kohler. The engine in it (or the engine that was in it) did run good and didn't smoke a bit. I guess I'll give it a go.

My end game is to fix up the loader and eventually put a little backhoe on the rear. I don't have a need for the rototiller. It looks about 3 ft wide? Didn't measure it. Complete with driveshaft and the pulley and bracket set up that goes in the front. (Is it called mule drive?) The pulleys and bracket look new. Rototiller looks period to the tractor but looks like very little use on it.

What is the tiller and pulley bracket worth? Will prob sell it. Not yet decided.

Thanks for your input. Graeatly appreciated.

#27 S76 OFFLINE  

S76
  • 37 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 10, 2017 - 07:19 PM

One more thing please. I cannot find a data tag on this anywhere. But I am wondering if you can guesstimate the year with the following info.
Electric front pro
Small round brake pedal tops
Engine has points and condenser
2, 3 speed transmissions

What other indicators are there that may help?

Thanks

Bob

#28 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,570 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted August 10, 2017 - 07:36 PM

Hi Bob, looking at the picture in your first post it looks like the tractor has a 3 pt hitch is that right? If so the first year for 3 pts was 1975, as for a data tag they did not use a metal tag but rather a decal with the serial number inked on it and many did not make it thur the years. If it had a 3 pt can you post some pictures of it?

• Austen said thank you

#29 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • 1,246 Thanks
  • 755 posts

Posted August 11, 2017 - 10:39 AM

Thank you all for your opinions on staying with the Kohler. The engine in it (or the engine that was in it) did run good and didn't smoke a bit. I guess I'll give it a go.

My end game is to fix up the loader and eventually put a little backhoe on the rear. I don't have a need for the rototiller. It looks about 3 ft wide? Didn't measure it. Complete with driveshaft and the pulley and bracket set up that goes in the front. (Is it called mule drive?) The pulleys and bracket look new. Rototiller looks period to the tractor but looks like very little use on it.

What is the tiller and pulley bracket worth? Will prob sell it. Not yet decided.

Thanks for your input. Graeatly appreciated.

If you decide to sell the tiller and have all the pieces, I'd definitely be interested in it if you could ship it through Fastenal on a pallet.

#30 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,808 Thanks
  • 8,928 posts

Posted August 11, 2017 - 05:49 PM

One of the trans had water in it due to a bad shifter boot. I haven't disassembled it completely to find the extent of the damage.

Anyone have a trans for sale?

First off, how misleading was the seller?

Next, I agree that you can't do much better than the Kohler K for this application.

Also, I wouldn't jump to buy another trans. Check and see how much wear it has. It may only need cleaned with kerosene and refilled with trans fluid. If it needs rebuilt, that's not a bad job and is preferable to buying another worn trans.

• KennyP and MNGB have said thanks