• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrcando OFFLINE  

mrcando
  • Member No: 87392
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 12:27 PM

I'm a new member, and am in the process of making ready for use, a model L, Super Convertible Gravely that has been in storage nine yrs. I just started it up recently and noticed that I can't engage the attachment clutch control. I know that when the tractor was last used, the control was disengaged before shutting off the engine. I'm hoping that it is just sticking from non-use. I've sprayed the detent mechanism with WD-40, but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions barring a major teardown of the clutch assy.? 

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,793 Thanks
  • 4,773 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 05:13 PM

Welcome to GTT:wave:

Technically you have a model "C" not an "L", but that's splitting hairs.

Does the PTO lever move when the tractor is not running?  Gravely didn't allow a provision to engage the PTO - you just have to cram it in and let it sound like its destroying things inside.

With the lo/hi lever in the middle [a makeshift neutral] it grinds less.  That is the correct way to do it but it'll still grind.

#3 mrcando OFFLINE  

mrcando
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 09:58 PM

Thank you Kris, for your prompt response- and straightening me out on the correct model I have. First, I need to make sure we're calling things by the same name. When you say PTO lever, I assume you mean the little curved lever near the PTO which is operated by the Attachment Clutch Control rod that is on the left and accessible when you're standing at the rear of the tractor. It has a loop in the end of it that makes it easy to get hold of. I am assuming I'm supposed to pull on it to engage the mower and push on it to disengage from it. When you say 'cram it in' it sounds like you mean I should be pushing on it to ENGAGE the mower. Is that correct? And no, it does not move when the tractor is not running. I have a copy of the owner's manual but it doesn't say which direction is correct for engage/disengage. When it was running and I couldn't pull the lever back, I did try to push it forward, but didn't push very hard, thinking that was the wrong way.

Anyway, I'll go out tomorrow and start it up and try pushing harder on the lever to engage the PTO, but I may wait until I hear from you. Thanks for your time Kris, I really appreciate it.

Phil  aka: mrcando

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,793 Thanks
  • 4,773 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 09:46 PM

Got your PM.  Sorry I didn't get back to your post.

Yes,  that's what I'm calling the PTO

On the Attachment Clutch Control you pull to engage - push to knock it out of gear.

Sounds like you need to remove the 4 bolts that hold the implement to the tractor to see whats going on in there.   You'll have to support the rear of the tractor as it will fall backwards with no implement on the front.  There was a quick-adjust foot just for that purpose below the carburetor on the drawbar but lots of them have vanished over the years.  You will need a 3/4 inch wrench.  DO NOT tip the tractor forward with no implement on or you will spill the engine oil al over the place.  This is 1930's thinking you are dealing with even though your tractor is much newer than that.  If you tear the gasket there make a new one or buy one before reinstalling the implement.  An old cereal box makes a great gasket and cuts easily with household scissors. DO NOT use silicone or any liquid sealant because it will just tear the gasket next time you remove it.  So long as the gasket doesn't tear you can reuse it a few times.  Once inside,  maybe you can see whats going on.  If its been sitting for an extended time there may be rust [just enough] to cause the problems you are having.  Wouldn't take much.   Also once inside you can remove those two bolts and clean/lube the pivot and maybe that's all it needs.

Best of luck and I'll try to do better checking back in this thread.  :thumbs:

#5 mrcando OFFLINE  

mrcando
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 09:56 AM

Thank you so much, Kris. You just confirmed what I had thought would be my next step. Do you recommend removing the battery tray to gain better access to the swivel mechanism at the top of the PTO? I've got everything else working on the tractor except this. (well, it has developed an oil leak around the rear main seal, probably from sitting in storage so long). And thanks for the tip on the gasket!  :thumbs:

Phil

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mower, model l