6 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,424 Thanks
  • 5,826 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 06:45 PM

Not one head on any plant.  2nd year they are that way.  WHY ? ?  Cabbage has nice heads, beets are looking good as are the onions, etc.  3 yo pumpkin seeds are up and going as are the cucs - even a couple volunteer plants.  Don't understand why the broccoli and cauliflower is all leaves and no heads.

• glgrumpy said thank you

#2 64fleetside OFFLINE  

64fleetside
  • Member No: 77612
  • 182 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 06:59 PM

Had some go the same way, and some with tiny heads. Soil lacking something is my guess. But a few did welpl. I use Ironite, 13-13-13 and manure and lime, maybe my ratio is off.
  • Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,424 Thanks
  • 5,826 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 08:37 PM

Checked on the net - they like cooler more normal weather conditions.  We had some real hot weather early.May have caused the upset here.  Also mentioned that in some case it can take from 55 to 70 days for the heads to form.  With the up and down temps I doubt that will happen.  Goats will love those leaves though.

• oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,869 Thanks
  • 4,018 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 11:10 AM

Possible insect damage at the growth point? I have had groundhogs nibble the leader off cabbages and they grew huge side leaves but did not head out at all. Frustrating!!!

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,424 Thanks
  • 5,826 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 12:34 PM

Couple days ago we got one head of cauliflower but it was full of little brown spots.  Thought it may be insets or ??  Goats got to eat that one.  We now have several that are forming heads, some are small and green yet while othes are soft ball size and white, looking real nice.  Rest of the garden it going great.  Tomato plants are about 32" high and bushed out through the cages all around, full of blooms and lot of small green fruit. .  Planted early cabbage and have had 3 heads so far.  Later cabbage is forming nice heads.  Onions are getting about base ball size as are the beets.  Will have to harvest them after the 4th.  Lettuce has been done for a while bu keeping it for goat feed.  When ever the granddaughter is here we go to the garden and pull a bunch and she feed the goats through the fence.  They will fight for fresh lettuce leaves.  Run the tiller over the garden yesterday for weed control and today it is raining. 

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,318 Thanks
  • 7,157 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 05:30 AM

Do you tie the cauliflower leaves ? Heard they need that done to stay white

#7 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,624 Thanks
  • 6,438 posts

Posted July 03, 2017 - 06:05 AM

Glad to hear they are doing a bit better.