• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,074 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 01:37 PM

I am working on a Briggs 3.5 hp motor on a tiller,no spark,Well the reason is the flywheel key way has a big ole chunk out of it so it looses time by a hair and wont fire,Basically one whole side of the keyway is broke out and gone,There is just enough left at each end of the crank shaft I got it to stay running for a minute or two,Question is what are the odds I can weld on the crank shaft ,build it up a little then grind it out to refit a key,I am not worried about my skills as this is right up my alley ,I just wonder if it can be done in the motor with out ruining the seals??I will get some pics of it soon

#2 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,378 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 03:05 PM

Sounds like someone put a steel key in instead of the aluminum one. I had one similar a long time ago. Tossed the whole engine, and eventually the tiller part. Pretty sure you will fry the seal. 

• Sawdust and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#3 daniel_b OFFLINE  

daniel_b
  • Member No: 65956
  • 94 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 03:26 PM

maybe with a little help from my frien' JB   :D

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,428 Thanks
  • 5,830 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 03:34 PM

If you do try welding it, put a couple clamps between the seal and weld area to slow the transfer of heat.  Then weld a bit at a time allowing it to cool some between welds times.  Is it a half moon key or straight?  Might try JB and put it together before the JB sets up - and hope you don't have to take it apart again.

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,845 Thanks
  • 8,956 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 03:37 PM

Might try JB and put it together before the JB sets up - and hope you don't have to take it apart again.

Maybe fabricate a temporary key from nylon/plastic which will not adher.

#6 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,832 Thanks
  • 1,147 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 03:45 PM

Probably doable if you have a tig welder , just burn in a little at a time. Heat sink paste works good but would cost more than the engine is worth .

Try grinding it to fit a bigger key , got nothing to lose the crank is already on its last leg.

#7 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 1,074 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 03:58 PM

I got it welded up pretty fair ,dont want to heat it anymore or the seal will be shot ,so far so good,trying to reshape everything is the fun part ,Pics coming

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 BigFlash ONLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 231 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 05:03 PM

Get the key way as good as you can and then put the flywheel on with either red loctite or bearing mount. It will help considerably with keeping the flywheel on the shaft in the right spot, and some heat from a propane torch and a puller will have it back off with relative ease incase of future repairs.

#9 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,318 Thanks
  • 1,491 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 07:18 PM

I vote for JB Weld.  I had a wood chipper with a damaged output shaft.  Ran for years with JB Weld.  If it will take that abuse, a tiller should be a breeze.  I made a key & a sleeve, installed the key, plastered on the JB & slide the sleeve over the shaft.  I split the sleeve so it would slide on past the key & hose clamped it tight.  Once it curred, I filed it to fit the chipper flywheel.

Motor end small1.jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, June 20, 2017 - 07:18 PM.

• Alc, Cvans, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#10 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 1,074 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 08:43 PM

I vote for JB Weld.  I had a wood chipper with a damaged output shaft.  Ran for years with JB Weld.  If it will take that abuse, a tiller should be a breeze.  I made a key & a sleeve, installed the key, plastered on the JB & slide the sleeve over the shaft.  I split the sleeve so it would slide on past the key & hose clamped it tight.  Once it curred, I filed it to fit the chipper flywheel.

attachicon.gifMotor end small1.jpg

That was a big chunk missing JB weld has saved my bacon before also

• Cvans said thank you

#11 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 1,074 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 08:48 PM

Get the key way as good as you can and then put the flywheel on with either red loctite or bearing mount. It will help considerably with keeping the flywheel on the shaft in the right spot, and some heat from a propane torch and a puller will have it back off with relative ease incase of future repairs.

I hadnt thought about loctite ,,,That will be next after i get the flywheel on straight.Right now it wobbles ,I need to shave some of my weld off,Its real close though!Its a customer machine and I told him it may not work out but i would try,He said not to spend more then $100 parts and labor on it,,,Well the labor end will be more but he is a good guy and will bring me more stuff so I will eat a little labor! :thumbs:

#12 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 1,074 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 08:50 PM

If you do try welding it, put a couple clamps between the seal and weld area to slow the transfer of heat.  Then weld a bit at a time allowing it to cool some between welds times.  Is it a half moon key or straight?  Might try JB and put it together before the JB sets up - and hope you don't have to take it apart again.

It is a straight key

#13 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,455 Thanks
  • 1,801 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 11:21 PM

Myself, I would weld it up.

Take a wet rag, and wrap it around the shaft in front of the seal, weld it, and shape it. It will be just fine

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,789 Thanks
  • 5,744 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 11:38 PM

Dremel and a cut off wheel will dress up the key way. I have had excellent luck using these. 

#15 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 12:06 AM

I hadnt thought about loctite ,,,That will be next after i get the flywheel on straight.Right now it wobbles ,I need to shave some of my weld off,Its real close though!Its a customer machine and I told him it may not work out but i would try,He said not to spend more then $100 parts and labor on it,,,Well the labor end will be more but he is a good guy and will bring me more stuff so I will eat a little labor! :thumbs:

Welding on one side of a shaft, or any thing else will cause distortion. the chances a machined shaft will still be straight after being welded are very close to 0. I have used red locktight on key way repairs before with good luck but never on a fly wheel. Don

• Cvans and Reed Breneman have said thanks