• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 07:19 AM

Jd 300/kohler k341 won't start... had troubles with it starting hard before.

Dad said that the hard start was because it flooded...

Won't start now, cranks real nice now. Seen a puff of smoke come from carb/air filter area...

Any ideas? I've always had trouble with this tractor, so I'm tempted to sell it... even as a non runner.
  • hamman said thank you

#2 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 09:28 AM

Pretty much need 3 things to start/run, fuel, spark, compression,,,,,, which one dont you have??  If you dont have the patience to work on the old stuff your better off getting out of the hobby and buying new.

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,753 Thanks
  • 3,791 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 10:08 AM

Clean and set your points to 0.020. Check the rod that opens and closes the point, that it is not stuck or sticking

Noel

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,449 Thanks
  • 5,250 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 10:22 AM

If it cranks easy I'll wager the rod has a split personality now..  Do a compression test or pull the plug and see if there is compression when you crank it..

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,801 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 10:30 AM

When was the last time you did a tune up?

#6 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 12:10 AM

When was the last time you did a tune up?

I bought it as is... never used it enough last year to warrant a tune up. Maybe 10 hours total.

Previous owner went through the machine...

#7 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 12:18 AM

Pretty much need 3 things to start/run, fuel, spark, compression,,,,,, which one dont you have?? If you dont have the patience to work on the old stuff your better off getting out of the hobby and buying new.

spark plug was loose, tightened it some... might not have spark, I'll test that first thing to uh, wake me up😂

Fuel tank was 1/4 full, but looked to have some sort of sparkly looking crap in it... almost like glitter.

Compression, it has lots at near tdc on the compression stroke, enough for the starter to "bark" before... sometimes it will "hang up" at tdc and everything stops, battery charger gets real loud, as if it has a big load on it.

Battery is also continually stone dead.

I was told by my dad that I need to either reset or rebuild the carb, he thinks it leaks into the combustion chamber, and hydro locks it enough to make a hard/no start condition

#8 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 09:39 AM

Ok sounds like you have a few issues to resolve.  The K series Kohler engines seem to be the standard in most of the old "good ones" and the sooner you master it's quirks the less frustration your going to have keeping them running. 

The #1 issue I have with the K301 and the K341 are the points.  Usually have issues with tip contamination or the gap setting, which determines spark timing.  Without being there, but by your descriptions it sounds to me like the gap setting is not correct, giving you the issues of "starter barking", "hydro locked", "hang up", certainly sounds as if the spark time is just a bit off.  The Kohler manual calls for using a timing light to set point gap, I not longer have such tool myself so I gap by ear and trial and error. 

The K series engines have ACR (automatic compression release)  below 600 or 800 RPM so they spin pretty easy on the starter shouldn't have barking/ hydro lock appearances. These symptoms are usually due to spark firing to soon before TDC, again check the Kohler manual and your point settings.  .

If you have chit in the tank rinse it out,,, all that chit has to go into the carb  which is only going to create more unnecessary problems and frustration for yourself. 

• MH81 and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,801 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 12:43 PM

spark plug was loose . . .

Fuel tank was 1/4 full, but looked to have some sort of sparkly looking crap in it... almost like glitter.

Compression, it has lots at near tdc on the compression stroke, enough for the starter to "bark" before... sometimes it will "hang up" at tdc . . .
Battery is also continually stone dead.

Anyone of these could be due to kids messing around with the equipment, putting stuff in the tank, etc. :thumbs: Remember when you were 7yo?

#10 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted June 22, 2017 - 09:12 AM

Anyone of these could be due to kids messing around with the equipment, putting stuff in the tank, etc. :thumbs: Remember when you were 7yo?

Ya, I never sat down, my arse always was sore... still is, I guess 10 years doesn't change much😂

My brother knows that I'd pretty near kill him if he messed with anything. I nearly beat my cousin when he looked at my moto mower funny.

No wonder everyone says I need some anger management baloney... jeez😂

Edited by Greasy6020, June 22, 2017 - 09:15 AM.