• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 buckhvnter3 OFFLINE  

buckhvnter3
  • Member No: 87345
  • 19 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 09:49 PM

I've had my head wrapped around getting a bigger tractor. Currently own a JD lt155. It is a good rider with a good engine. I bought a house last October and have really noticed how bad the yard is. Don't get me wrong, I don't pedicure it but do like it to look nice. So. I have looked at some new tractors and have "built my own" but about fell out of my chair when the price was tallied up.

Here's what I want to do. Be able to move dirt, gravel, etc. (bucket), grade the dirt (also bucket?), stuck with 48" deck in my head for some reason, something that has enough traction and geddy up to climb small inclines if needed. Sorry if you're cross eyed after reading😊 Thanks for any input.
  • hamman and chieffan have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,577 Thanks
  • 4,710 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 09:52 PM

Your budget and how old you are willing to go will narrow your choices considerably.
  • hamman, Cvans, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#3 buckhvnter3 OFFLINE  

buckhvnter3
  • 19 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 10:13 PM

Budget under 10k. Be nice to be under 5k.. Old is fine as long as I don't go broke fixing things. Really looking for an all in one that cuts nice. Curious about diesel. Never owned one but know they produce torque. Live on about an acre. Want something that'll last a long time.

Edited by buckhvnter3, June 19, 2017 - 10:58 PM.

• hamman and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,318 Thanks
  • 7,157 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 05:26 AM

I think this site might be the wrong place to ask advise for ONE tractor lol . Most here have way more then one . They might have one  for lawn care and say leave duty . One for the garden , one with a loader and rear hitch .  That said , there will be some good suggestions for a good multi purpose tractor for you ,  Al

• hamman, Delmar, MolonLabe and 2 others have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,504 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 06:04 AM

for $5k you could buy a pretty heavy duty older machine plus some attachments,  and rebuild it from the ground up, and have some money left over.... many 30-40 year old tractors out there and most parts are still available,  not as many parts as you might think are "manufacturer specific"...  how big the yard is, now many obstacles you have will play a part. 

I'm thinking a larger  Cub Cadet, Wheel Horse, maybe an Ariens (though attachments can be harder to find for Ariens if you want anything beyond a mower deck) but most in this category will have a Kohler or Briggs engine, a Sunstrand hydro and a Dana rear end no matter what brand the actual tractor is.... it's how they package these common components that separates one from the next.

even Deere uses these same components on some of their machines.

• Alc, hamman, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#6 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 09:13 AM

Nothing wrong with most of the older stuff IF you have the time, tools, skills, cash and desire/resolve to rebuild them and the patience to search for attachments that can be difficult and spendy to find and then they need rebuilding.  There is NO free lunch with equipment,,,, it "might" be a cheaper lunch but it's certainly not free. 

I've done the rebuild thing and there is nothing wrong with bringing an older piece of iron back to it's former self if done well, but it is not cheap, easy or quick.  Last big ole Wheel Horse took a month or 3 to complete the rebuild process and it was in pretty decent shape to start with, another few weeks and more coin to source a nice blade and snow blower that didn't need rebuilding or paint.  It's a nice machine, Kohler K341, hydraulics, hydro, but it suffers from dated ergonomics and attachment changing is also lacking when compared to an X5 series JD.  But all in all it was a bunch less coin than either of the 2 high end JD X5 series machines equipped with hydraulics and a blower/blade combo.

• Alc and buckhvnter3 have said thanks

#7 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 1,605 Thanks
  • 1,019 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 12:09 PM

With those parameters, I'd focus on a late 80's, 90's SCUT w/ diesel, 4wd, FEL and an MMM. A diesel Kubota with 2wd/4wd and an FEL is not a hard find. I would think JD's would be a bit tougher to find, and I know the prices are generally higher. And there's more than a few others out there, obviously. JMO.

• js5020 and buckhvnter3 have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,437 Thanks
  • 8,471 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 05:49 PM

You have the right idea to ask your options. You have a very wide variety of choices. Deterrmine what you want to do with the machine. Look at the attachments available. For smoothing out driveways, I use my earthcavator behind my Simplicity 3310. I have a tiller attachment, mower deck, snowplow, and snow blower for it too. I have attachments for my Allis Chalmers B-10 that will also fit the Simplicity.

There are a bunch of older brands that have varieties of attachments. Look at www.Simpletractors.net for alot of info on old Simplicity GTs. Allis Chalmers, Ariens, Bolens, Cub Cadet, Ford, Jacobsen, Gilson, MTD, Sears, and Wheelhorse all had good machines. See what is available to you locally. Check our Manuals Section and Picture Galleries.

The other aspect to this is, what are your capabilities as far as mechanical repairs. We can give alot of support but you will have to do the work. Having someone else do the work is usually too expensive. Let us know where you stand and ask more questions. Personally, I feel that the old iron is much better then the new and alot cheaper. I own several of the same tractor with many attachments. That way I have backup. Good Luck, Rick
  • buckhvnter3 said thank you

#9 buckhvnter3 OFFLINE  

buckhvnter3
  • 19 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 10:48 PM

Thank you all for the ideas. I am very mechanically inclined. I do it 50 hours a week. Have worked on old iron but rare for it to come through the shop. Definitely more solid than what is made now days. The only area of knowledge I'm lacking in is diesel and curious but haven't had time to investigate. Right now I'm certified by Briggs,Honda,Kohler,Stihl and Toro. Work on them all, even the ones that float here on boats😐. I have a mig welder and a heck of a lot o tools.

Tinkering has always been an addiction of mine. Time is hard to come by lately though. Raising one boy that wants to do everything dada does and the cutest baby girl that'll melt your heart with a smile. A lot to tinker with in the new house as well. Momma comes up with a lot! Be nice if she'd do at least a quarter of it, lol.

I like my lt155. Only live on an acre so I could keep running it as the grass cutter. What I want to be able to do is move dirt to re-grade yard and possibly till to really do it right, but would use tiller after that far and few between. Would like to move whatever I needed to like gravel, wood, more dirt, snow, etc.. I've never eaten mole before but they like my yard so I'd probably want to pull a roller. May not be the solution but might be enough that they'd reconsider. I've been looking at what Deere and Kubota have to offer. Was looking at more of an all in one (bucket, mower deck, bagger and was amazed at how much money they were. Thanks to all for your input.
  • tiretrx said thank you

#10 cranman51 OFFLINE  

cranman51
  • Member No: 82052
  • 4 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 04:18 PM

How about a nice FARM tractor......8n...9n....ford 2000....never wear it out....mows....digs post holes...york rakes.....plows garden or rototills.....hitch a snow plow on front......never wears out...little tractors are for LAWN MOWING.....after using your farm tractor for 50 years and you want to move to a trailer park...sell it for twice what you paid for it!

• MolonLabe and buckhvnter3 have said thanks

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,577 Thanks
  • 4,710 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 06:16 PM

For an acre, I would get one with a 3pt hitch. Get a boxblade and various attachments for your grading. Then rent a skidloader for the heavy work. But then you lose the cool factor of a loader.

#12 buckhvnter3 OFFLINE  

buckhvnter3
  • 19 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 07:07 PM

For an acre, I would get one with a 3pt hitch. Get a boxblade and various attachments for your grading. Then rent a skidloader for the heavy work. But then you lose the cool factor of a loader.

#13 buckhvnter3 OFFLINE  

buckhvnter3
  • 19 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 07:20 PM

That's what is stuck in my head. Don't think I'd be doing heavy lifting all of the time but the power to do it if I needed to is what I'm thinking about. Could rent a skid loader but the rental fees may add up. Don't have room for 3 tractors. I plan on keeping the lt155 for now, just fixed the front end on it and tuned it up last year. The idea of having an all in one sounds too good to be true and insanely expensive. I built my own x758 series and price was knocking on 20k
Don't know what to look for yet. I'm new to the family here, this jd I have is my first.
  • shorty said thank you

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,577 Thanks
  • 4,710 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 08:11 PM

10-15 year old scut might be the ticket.

#15 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted June 21, 2017 - 08:24 PM

20K whoa, what the heck are you pricing into this?

If your putting 3pth, rear pto, diesel, awd, and loader on an X7 you might as well go series 1. A 1023E is really no bigger physically might be a few lb heavier but about the same price with all the options mentioned above. The series 1 sub compacts are better suited for loader/backhoe operations than the X7, the X7 is more suited for lawn mowing in my opinion.

I use to say if you need a small loader tractor that can mow lawn get the series 1 and if you want a big lawn mower that can use a loader get the X7 but I have had to reconsider after seeing my neighbor use his 2305 (predecessor to the 1023E) with a 54" deck cut his Very landscaped (manicured $$$) lawn last week when his old 325 was down.  The much larger 2305 did a dang nice job and I didn't see him having much issue with the turning radius or tearing up things with the R4 tires.  If I weren't in the process of downsizing from the current property there would be a 1023E in the barn right now to replace my 30+yr old compact, probably be one on the new place once we get there. I believe JD has the 1023E for 99 a month bare machine, add a loader and deck and your likely in the 150-180 range? for 84m if you don't want to shell out 16K or so all at one time.  Not that bad a deal considering it will likely be with you for 25 or 30 yrs if you take care of it and keep it inside. 

Of course being in the Midwest you could likely find a used earlier low hour X7 and be in your initial budget numbers for just the tractor and deck.