7 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,989 Thanks
  • 6,157 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 07:28 AM

Went rolling through just to the SW of us.  Couple EF1-2 tornadoes west about 80 miles.  Some still w/o power this morning.  We had power out for about 5 min.  Strong winds up to 40 mph and hard rain, 1.48 by my weather station.

Tomato cages stayed upright except 3.  Plants OK.  Lost one Cauliflower plant that broke off at ground level.   Rest of the garden made it OK.  Had lots of smaller limbs down and one big 8" broke over.  We were right on the NE edge of the worst part.  Haven't heard of any building damage but haven't been out and about yet.  Hybred willow make nice dense shade trees but the sure loose a lot of small limbs during windy condition and through the winter.  Think I will start planting Cottonwood, bug resistant and usually free for the digging.  Just pick your size.

• Gtractor, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#2 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,977 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 09:14 AM

The neighbors lost their old cottonwood during the 5/27 storm. It was dead from being struck by lightening too many times. I am not a good tree guesser, but I would say it was 60 foot plus before it died. Luckily it wasnt near any buildings and didnt land on the fence when it came  down.

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,162 Thanks
  • 5,937 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 09:52 AM

Think I will start planting Cottonwood, bug resistant and usually free for the digging.  Just pick your size.

Don't plant the Female cottonwoods or you will have fuzz everywhere. Some towns have ordinances in place that forbid their planting.  The stuff is death to air-conditioners and central air units if it isn't continually removed. The males are a wonderful tree to have around. Love the smell of them when the sun warms them up.   

• Gtractor, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#4 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,523 Thanks
  • 4,392 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 11:10 AM

Good to hear the storms missed you. Sometimes Ma Nature is merciful.
  • chieffan said thank you

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,770 Thanks
  • 4,763 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 04:54 PM

Dad has an 70 foot plus female Cottonwood tree.  Some years it really gets bad with it's flying seed.  Been that way since I can remember in the early to mid 1970's.  Gets in your nose and just a royal pain.  He can't cut it down because its too close to 2 pole barns and his house.  His bucket truck is only a 55 footer.  :wallbanging:

• Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,739 Thanks
  • 44,523 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 07:46 PM

From what I understand, Cottonwood's a great lightening attracter!!

• chieffan said thank you

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,989 Thanks
  • 6,157 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 06:38 PM

Don't plant the Female cottonwoods or you will have fuzz everywhere. Some towns have ordinances in place that forbid their planting.  The stuff is death to air-conditioners and central air units if it isn't continually removed. The males are a wonderful tree to have around. Love the smell of them when the sun warms them up.   

When you live in the country it don't make any difference what gender you plant.  To many trees around the air is full of flying cotton every spring.  If I plant a female and it shed its cotton, the wind will blow it off to other places and won't effect me ? ? Wishful thinking but that cotton will fly a mile before it lands.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,989 Thanks
  • 6,157 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 06:41 PM

From what I understand, Cottonwood's a great lightening attracter!!

Have a 60' steel TV tower up that is 3' in the ground.  That should make a good lightning rod if anything does.  I have heard the same thing and don't doubt it a bit.  Probably because of their fast growing ability and high moisture content.

• KennyP said thank you