Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I just started pulling and was wondering what tractors are good to pull when you have a low budget

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tractorpuller288 OFFLINE  

Tractorpuller288
  • Member No: 87363
  • 4 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 10:43 PM

I started pulling this year on my friends cub cadet..so i wanted to look into building a pulling tractor but i only have a limited budget and all the cub cadets i have found are out of my price rage so my question was what other tractor brands are good for pulling and still are fairly cheap?

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 07:18 AM

Cub Cadet are probably the most popular.  Keep looking till one turns up, meantime increase your budget.  You will need it.

• Tractorpuller288 said thank you

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 07:26 AM

A lot of new pullers get a Sears and have fun.
You're going to hear a lot of gnashing of teeth about the belt and hp loss and poor man's puller and all that, but the bottom line is having a good time. Also, the two speed rear end is nice, I hear.
I would look for a Kohler to put in the frame. The Tecumsehs are torquey engines, but hate to be over revved and God knows you can't pull without running 1000 over.
Sorry if I sound cynical, spent some of this weekend around a guy that only exist to pull and I've had my fill of bravado.
Also, everyone will tell you to never pull a Hydro. Some very respectable pulling done by them as well

Edited by MH81, June 19, 2017 - 08:29 AM.

• WrenchinOnIt, Sawdust and Tractorpuller288 have said thanks

#4 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 09:51 AM

Sorry if I sound cynical, spent some of this weekend around a guy that only exist to pull and I've had my fill of bravado.

I may sound even more cynical but...

if you don't have enough money to buy a cub, which go for a few hundred running near me, and i live in an expensive state...

and you want to pull weight with a garden tractor...

why not get a cheap garden tractor with a plow, pull your own garden, grow your own food, and all the money you spend on gas and broken tractor parts will actually have a return in the form of feeding yourself and your family, not wasted in the form of excess pollution thrown into the air with no real work actually produced.

if you're really trying to save money and still have a good time, that is...

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,837 Thanks
  • 3,381 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 07:14 AM

Ah... donr mind the grumpy old men on here.. they mean well just come off the wrong way.
Are you pulling a transfer sled? And are you pulling in a stock class? These things matter.
Strickly stock you can pull with a hydro as long as there is no speed limit. As a hydro will get you trucking and as long as you know to let off the pedal as the load increases you will kick butt!
It will be good up to 1200 pounds. Over that you need a gearbox.
Oh and you better TAKE NOTES! Setup is EVERYTHING! from the hitch to weight placement to tire pressures and tread design.
I don't play to loose...

Edited by skyrydr2, June 20, 2017 - 07:20 AM.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, shorty and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Tractorpuller288 OFFLINE  

Tractorpuller288
  • 4 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 08:15 AM

I plan on pulling in a stock class.

• MH81 said thank you

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,957 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 09:30 AM

If you don't mind us asking, what is the price range you're hoping to stay in?

Ah... donr mind the grumpy old men on here.. they mean well just come off the wrong way.
Are you pulling a transfer sled? And are you pulling in a stock class? These things matter.
Strickly stock you can pull with a hydro as long as there is no speed limit. As a hydro will get you trucking and as long as you know to let off the pedal as the load increases you will kick butt!
It will be good up to 1200 pounds. Over that you need a gearbox.
Oh and you better TAKE NOTES! Setup is EVERYTHING! from the hitch to weight placement to tire pressures and tread design.
I don't play to loose...

This is useful info. Print it and tape it under the hood :D

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,837 Thanks
  • 3,381 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 10:38 AM

A killer pulling tractor in a strickly stock class is a Cub of course and a Ford LGT '72-76 vintage with a hydro! 125-165 they all pull good just be sure to use the factory hitch mounting points if you use a Ford. I just made a hitch that pinned to the factory drawbar on the bottom and to the center link for the 3 point hitch. I pulled mine with everurhing still on it except the mower deck and it kicked butt for years! Now that tractor is back in the homestead performing garden duties like tilling and plowing.
  • MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Tractorpuller288 OFFLINE  

Tractorpuller288
  • 4 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 01:20 PM

Im looking to purchase a tractor for under $700 but to keep the build itself under $1400

#10 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,159 Thanks
  • 1,648 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 02:54 PM

You could easily get a Cub for that price. I'm not a puller but in stock classes, it's anyone's game. I've seen Case hydrive out pull all. Seen a Deere 100/200 series never stop haha. Heard some call the varispeed machines cheaters. There's been successful pulling with hydros of all types. If your pulling your probably also breaking things. Get something that's common around you so parts are easy to get. Then it's just down to proper setup. Also look for the higher hp models: cub 1650, Ford 165, sears ss16 etc. The bigger you start with, the more you'll end up with after tinkering.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • skyrydr2, Sawdust and Tractorpuller288 have said thanks

#11 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,331 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 05:49 PM

I would start by getting a set of rules from the local club or clubs.  My kids pulled in several classes over a span of almost 20 years but the stock class was the most fun for them and cheapest for me.  I don't believe we ever spent more than $800 on a tractor in that class and they all have some great memories and all six have a few trophies to remind them of those days.

• MH81, skyrydr2, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,239 Thanks
  • 9,178 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 06:49 PM

I plan on pulling in a stock class.

Im looking to purchase a tractor for under $700 but to keep the build itself under $1400

If your going strictly stock, a Wheel Horse can do wonders. They have a trans that can handle up to 35hp. Get the trans that has the 1 1/8" axles and 8 planetary gears. Get a 16hp Kohler and Kevlar belts.

There are things you can and can't do to your engine. As was said, get a copy of the rules. Club rules vary.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 Tractorpuller288 OFFLINE  

Tractorpuller288
  • 4 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 23, 2017 - 09:03 PM

You could easily get a Cub for that price. I'm not a puller but in stock classes, it's anyone's game. I've seen Case hydrive out pull all. Seen a Deere 100/200 series never stop haha. Heard some call the varispeed machines cheaters. There's been successful pulling with hydros of all types. If your pulling your probably also breaking things. Get something that's common around you so parts are easy to get. Then it's just down to proper setup. Also look for the higher hp models: cub 1650, Ford 165, sears ss16 etc. The bigger you start with, the more you'll end up with after tinkering.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Its hard to find cubs that run or are not rusted to bad but people want more then $800 for them 

#14 jser OFFLINE  

jser
  • Member No: 9139
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 24, 2017 - 06:33 PM

I've seen alot of great pulls come out of Simplicity/Allis Chalmers tractors. I pull a couple of tractors with Peerless 2300 transmissions in them, I snapped an axle in one but the insides have not given me issue. My Massey Ferguson 10(Repowered with a Kohler V-twin) has the vari-drive still on it, I have struggled to get it dialed in but when it works it is not fair for anyone else!

#15 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,213 Thanks
  • 461 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 05:45 PM

I have an extra 72 john deere 110 with no deck I was considering making into a puller !0 hp with the engine rebuilt,would this be a fair tractor for this?

Attached Thumbnails

• PTDC0354.JPG