#1 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,666 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 05:48 PM

So, the Weather has been absolutely garbage every single day on days off including today, so I called my buddy, and said lets tinker.

I told him I would bring a condenser for the mag on the Wisconsin, and we could mess around with it while it rains AGAIN, as the Tractor is at his place right now.

Before scootin out there where the Gibson is, I stopped at Orielly Auto for a Condenser. Picked one up that is for a 1955 Chebby V8.

Got the Engine mag apart, and reworked the original bracket to fit the new part, and voila, she got a nice bright blue spark!

Bolted the mag back on, tossed in oil mix gas in the bore, tossed in some Ethenol FREE go-juice, and she started on the 3rd pull!!

Buddy suggested we put the Wisconsin on the Gibson, and I agreed.

He was cramped for time, so we worked as fast as we could, and got it 95% done. I just need to reconnect the trottle cable, but she drives.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics of the swap procedure, as I was rushed with his schedule, but the end result was grand.

Boy, the Wisconsin runs good, and I can't believe how clean the tank was inside, and I didn't even have to pull the carb apart!!!!

Lil vid, a before, and after shot...
Sorry the vid went sideways at the end, but I wasn't the camera operator;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 00m0m_fX9A7Qwhynm_600x450.jpg
  • 20170618_163229.jpg

Edited by stiemmy, June 18, 2017 - 07:44 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,454 Thanks
  • 29,551 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 07:31 AM

Awesome. You'll get a lot of looks at the shows and plow days.
  • stiemmy said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 7,712 Thanks
  • 7,324 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 07:44 AM

Didn't get the Oil/Gas mix part?  Not a 2-stroke, so wasn't following that part. Never had one of those big Wisconsins, but would be neat to try one.

• stiemmy said thank you

#4 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,666 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 11:50 AM

Sorry Gl, I didn't mention in this post like I had in the 1st thread about the tractor is the Wisconsin was not running for quite a long time. It was originally pulled out because of hard starting, but I'm sure has been neglected for a long time.

The reason for using mixed gas on startup is so everything gets lubrication right away, and to minimize a dry start:)

Here is the original thread of the Gibson.
http://gardentractor...ng-up-a-gibson/

Edited by stiemmy, June 19, 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,453 Thanks
  • 1,983 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 12:24 PM

It's good to see the Wisconsin back in place on the Gibson. It does sound like it's got a knock, but I can't tell if it's the rod, valves, or just the sound of the exhaust. There should be shims between the rod and rod cap that can be removed to close up the crank to rod journal clearance if excessive. It would be a good idea to remove the base from the engine to clean the oil pump assembly and make sure it's working as it should. I took apart a Wisconsin AEH parts engine that had been starved of oil in the past. The cylinder is badly scored and has a horizontal crack near the top of the cylinder. The piston was partially melted, also. I figured that I would mention this since I've seen plugged oil pump screens in some of these old engines. Good luck with your new/old Gibson, they are fun tractors to run around and put to work!
  • stiemmy said thank you

#6 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,666 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 12:56 PM

It's good to see the Wisconsin back in place on the Gibson. It does sound like it's got a knock, but I can't tell if it's the rod, valves, or just the sound of the exhaust. There should be shims between the rod and rod cap that can be removed to close up the crank to rod journal clearance if excessive. It would be a good idea to remove the base from the engine to clean the oil pump assembly and make sure it's working as it should. I took apart a Wisconsin AEH parts engine that had been starved of oil in the past. The cylinder is badly scored and has a horizontal crack near the top of the cylinder. The piston was partially melted, also. I figured that I would mention this since I've seen plugged oil pump screens in some of these old engines. Good luck with your new/old Gibson, they are fun tractors to run around and put to work!

I noticed that too, but was simply out of time, I was actually parking it in the video.

I did check the oil when I 1st started it, and its in desperate need of a change. I got video of that too, but haven't posted that yet. It was quiet on the 1st start. I was on the lookout for unusual temps, and signs of starvation, but didn't notice anything out of line.

I'll look into it more down the road, but I don't suspect anything serious with it right now.
  • classic said thank you

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,453 Thanks
  • 1,983 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 05:13 PM

One of the best things about that engine, is that you can remove the inspection cover from the side of the block and check the internals out. You can check for connecting rod play and clean out the oil sump. You can also verify if the oil pump is working like it should. It's well worth the effort to pop this cover and have a look. Also, the governor gear bushing may be worn and that's worth checking. If this gear fails, it can easily wipe out your camshaft. These are great engines, but they can give you problems like any other engine that's worn. In many cases, these old Wisconsin engines show little wear and you may luck out.
  • KennyP and stiemmy have said thanks

#8 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,666 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 11:03 PM

Thank you.

Yes I intended on looking in there that day, but buddy was leaving, and I didn't feel right being there alone.

I just hope that I can do that before I move it, or loading it will be a PITA, as I don't plan on running it till I know what is goin on, IF anything.

#9 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 4,453 Thanks
  • 1,983 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 12:52 AM

You're welcome,stiemmy. I just wanted to mention these things, since some of the parts can cost a bundle for these engines. I did manage to find the parts to rebuild an AEH for a Gibson, but it took a bit of hunting around to find what I needed. Your Gibson looks great with the original engine back on it.

Edited by classic, June 20, 2017 - 12:52 AM.

• stiemmy said thank you