20 replies to this topic

#1 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 1,991 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 01:26 PM

Got a call from my stepfather early last week. Said a coworker had a tractor that might be up my alley. It was on a piece of property that was hoping to go on the market soon. Needed it gone. I'm thinking it's a GT. Nope!!!!

Here lies a 1949 John Deere A. Nothing major froze. Carb was but didn't take much to make it move. Engine has compression. I don't think it's been long since it last ran. Points and condensors looked new. All but 1 tire took air. Rears are in excellent shape. Fronts need replaced. I've always wanted a big tractor. Never was specific on brand. More on what i can afford. I think FREE is good to me!! It's home now. Here's a video of me seeing if it would roll.
https://youtu.be/4FwCHEIFBUk

And a pic of it sitting at it's new home. Never worked on a Deere 2 cylinder. I'm always open for advice/suggestions? I have most the body. No fuel tanks though. Just learning about it right now. Plan to pull the clutch apart and also pull the starter. It is electric start. Also, going to pull the valve cover to make sure valves are moving.

Eric20170618_121421.jpg IMG_45111.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • Gtractor, EricFromPa, Cvans and 10 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 7,716 Thanks
  • 7,328 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 02:31 PM

Lots of places for nests and but hiding on those! Heavy stuff to pull off too! Might need a lift or hoist, hang from trees. Big wrenches too.
  • boyscout862 and dropped82 have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,440 Thanks
  • 3,844 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 05:41 PM

That's a real treasure Eric, and running to boot! Never was a fan of the narrow front wheel set, but I believe you can easily remedy that if you choose to. Before my time My Olde Deere changed one over for a neighbour without what he called "too much trouble".

• Cvans and dropped82 have said thanks

#4 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,536 Thanks
  • 5,606 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 06:54 PM

When you get it running good you will have a working beast. Because of their weight distribution they can put more torque to the ground than conventional tractors. Be extremely careful when backing up to anything. As you apply the hand clutch in reverse the movement will tend to make you apply more pressure to engage the clutch. Very quickly you will have moved farther and faster than expected. Never let anyone stand behind you when backing up. Having owned 1 "A" and 2 "B's" this advise comes from experience. Other than that they are a good dependable tractor with a sound that is music.

• Gtractor, dropped82, Rock farmer and 2 others have said thanks

#5 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,642 Thanks
  • 1,132 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 09:07 PM

Those old two bangers given proper care will last for generations.

Mike

• dropped82, oldedeeres and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#6 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 268 Thanks
  • 225 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 10:03 PM

The farm my dad worked on had three of those Johnny poppers, a styled late model A, a 620 and a 630. The are a very dependable rugged tractor, most of the weight is over the rear. One thing to watch for especially with three point equipment is they will pull wheelies, when the mounted three bottoms we used hooked into a nice size rock the front end would lift right up. The hand clutch and shift pattern does take some getting use to. Nice find!

• dropped82 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,642 Thanks
  • 1,132 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 10:21 PM

The old johnnies always amazed me how far they would lug down before you had to grab a gear.

Mike

• dropped82 said thank you

#8 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,474 Thanks
  • 1,557 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 11:27 PM

We have a 44' model at our farm and I am working on a buddies 49' right now for him in my basement.  My 1st advice is to crawl under it and check to see what shape the block is in on the thing.  My buddies was thin and patched at some time in the past. I pulled it out for other reasons and found the patch job (which was filling the holes with JB weld) and when I started to chip away at the JB weld it was so thin that it opened up a hairline crack from the front of the block to the back.  I got with a GOOD local JD guy and he found me another "good" block.  When I got that one cleaned up to paint it sure enough hiding under the rust was a pinhole.  That one was able to be taken care of fortunately.  He told me though that good blocks are getting hard to find anymore and he doesn't know how long he will be able to.  It looks a bit rough to me but a challenge is always good.  I guarantee it WILL be a money pit to fix it up right if things need work.  I got lucky on ours and only had to put in new gaskets and rings and then put new bearings in the tranny initially. Later it had problems in the transmission and half the tractor had to be taken apart to get to the transmission work that was needed done.  Then it has constant carb issues even after being professionally rebuilt by a JD that I trust with a LOT of experience and it still gives fits.  I'm not saying your's will or trying to bash JD's, just my experience. I always wanted a JD just to hear them run but after going through all the nonsense with ours that we dealt with I wouldn't do it again.  I will take my Case's and IH's anyday, they are so much simpler.

Good luck.

Edited by IHCubGuy, June 18, 2017 - 11:32 PM.

#9 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,474 Thanks
  • 1,557 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 11:39 PM

Looking at the picture a 2nd time I see that it has the air cleaner cup off.  Is it included?  Also the left side brake assembly is pulled from the transmission.  Was that with as well?  Would be draining the transmission and flushing it account of water and also pulling the cover between the steering wheel/throttle pedestal and the governor housing and looking in the crankcse to see what lies in there and to check the journals and the connecting rods.  The mains and rods on it are poured babbitt and use shims to adjust them.

Edited by IHCubGuy, June 18, 2017 - 11:39 PM.

#10 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 795 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 01:13 AM

I agree with IHCubGuy,it will be a money pit,it's going to be a pain all over the place,green parts are first soaked in gold and have to be begged for and it will plant you in the dirt like a seed drill if not careful,but it will be worth every minute,drop of blood and dollar when you hear that beast come to life and the joy of running a true flywheel low revving engine can be seen in all behind the wheel,the horizontal twins are so cool in fact you will hear that pop on your pillow,I'm not green,I'm so red I'm grey,but I have a 39 H,41 B and 37 A (all hand start) and they smoke my red's and Orange's 10 to 1 far as the cool factor go's,I never heard sweeter music in a tractor
  • tiretrx and dropped82 have said thanks

#11 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,717 Thanks
  • 1,158 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 05:08 AM

First motor driven vehical I ever drove was one of those. my uncle had a dairy farm. after bailing hay all day, he let me drive it to the swimming hole.

• tiretrx, dropped82 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#12 Kster526 ONLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 542 Thanks
  • 323 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 05:42 AM

Man some people have all the luck. Congrats on the new addition to the family.  I'm with you always wanted /want one. Do not know to much about the big ole girls but the are machines and make the burliest man feel like a kid again. Good luck with it.

• Cvans and dropped82 have said thanks

#13 dtsh ONLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 115 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 10:23 AM

I remember working an A and a B as a kid, not the most capable tractors in the world, but they were useful for the tasks they could do.

I can't tell you how many acres I baled with that old A and a NH square baler (can't remember model).

That one looks pretty weathered and likely in need of some major repair. It's been a few years since I looked for parts, but I suspect what you'll need may well exceed the tractor's value - if that matters to you. Hard to beat the price though!

Edited by dtsh, June 19, 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#14 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 1,991 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 02:19 PM

I've been perusing eBay. What I've tallied up so far does not exceed 1k. Considering I'm starting at 0, I've got a little room. There's more to it than what's in the pics. I have the rest in my shed right now. I have the brake drums, hood, grills, nose. I'm mainly missing the seat and fuel tanks. Both I've found seemed reasonable. After more inspection, I don't think it's gonna be long before it's running. Time will tell....

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • Gtractor, IHCubGuy and Cvans have said thanks

#15 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,474 Thanks
  • 1,557 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 04:41 PM

Just curious if you checked out the block on the underside yet.  That seems to be an area on them that is an issue.  

I thought I would encourage you with some pictures of ours before and after.

Attached Thumbnails

• JD-A2.jpg
  • JDA3.jpg
  • JD-A4.jpg
  • JD-A5.jpg
  • JD-A6.jpg
  • JD-A.jpg

• Gtractor, Cvans and dropped82 have said thanks