• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#106 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 07:26 PM

Some Ditch Witch machines used those tires,pretty pricey.I have a couple of the Simplicity 9020 same except for the sheet metal as the AC 720.King of the hill as far as brute pulling force in the Garden Tractor world.

#107 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 09:42 PM

:thumbs: Looking good Daniel.

Mark

#108 lowrider OFFLINE  

lowrider

• Member No: 5529
  • 1 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 12:41 PM

Daniel,

Have followed your progress on this thread with considerable interest. The 720's are certainly interesting machines with very good looks. I am drawn to GT machines as are you. Turns out that I have located one that can be purchased without attachments at a price that I can almost afford if I don't factor in the effect of my wife's predictable reaction. I have way more projects than I should already, as seems to be the case with many folks here. Wondering if you have any words of wisdom about things to look out for on a 720 and attachment adaptability. I have a 54 inch deck off a John Deere 400 series tractor, and if it can be easily mated to this machine, that would be a strong argument for getting it. The Deere has a stout bevel gear box exiting a horizontal shaft out towards the rear. Don't have any idea how easy or difficult this would be to match up. Also, does anyone have any feelings about how useful the 2000 rpm pto speed is for something like this. I have attachments for smaller AC's such as 416, 716H and B112, but don't seem to run into category zero hitch stuff here in western Oregon.

Will be quietly watching as you proceed with your 720, and hope that winter at least finds you with more time to work the projects.

Lowrider

#109 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 02:30 PM

Lowrider, the 720 uses a mule drive to the deck, but I would imagine one could fab a jackshaft under neath to be belt driven from the front pto clutch, then go shaft to a deck. Anything can be done if you have fabbing skills. The rear pto is priceless for 3pt tillers. I have a Massey 4250 cat-0 tiller that runs off 2,000rpm pto. I have extended the tiller to 53", and it will work with any cat-0 3pt & 2,000rpm rear pto, such as my 720, my Massey "2055", and my modified Bush Hog JBI. A fabber could even build specialty stuff like a post hole digger & more. I built a 3pt finish mower from a belly deck to also run off my rear pto.
As to what to watch out for, I am pretty new to the 720's, but look for play in the rear axles (have to jack it up to check), front axle pivot bushings, and of course you'd want to run till good & warm to really check the engine & the hydro.
I likely won't have time this winter to do much if anything more to my 720. As with you, too many projects!

#110 lowrider OFFLINE  

lowrider

• Member No: 5529
  • 1 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 02:54 AM

Thanks Daniel,

This will help me in making a reasonable decision. The 720 is showing only 800 hours on the meter, but it looks too tired for this number, perhaps partly because it has been out in the Oregon winter rains too long. The Onan runs fairly well, as does the PTO. It is smooth runner with no smoke but loud. Will check rear axle play and the front pilot bushings. No sheet metal dents but plenty of rust pits to fill. Cheers,

Lowrider

#111 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 11:55 AM

This 720 got mothballed as a parts tractor to keep my 620 in parts when needed.  I am planning to put my 620 up for sale, so now I have a new plan for this 720 IF I can find the time.  I have the towable backhoe, which is kind of unhandy being it can only move around via "crabbing" it with the bucket.  I would love to put the backhoe under this 720, making it a dedicated backhoe unit.  

I also have a heavy built home brew front blade for this 720 to do backfill with.  The 720 has a plenty heavy chassis & drive unit, and if I do this, it would also have a full undercarriage.  Would need to build a rotating seat base, add hydraulic outriggers, build a direct drive for the pump, and much more, thus why I say "if" it ever comes about.

The 620 hasn't been started in well over a year, but yesterday I slipped a battery in & she fired right up!  Idles & accelerates just 

fine still.

Here are the 2 machines.  The 720 is day I picked it up at former owner's place.

Allis 720.JPG

Caddigger 821.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#112 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 03:59 PM

Wow Daniel, that sounds like a great combination. The 720 will make a strong back hoe unit. I will be watching this build for sure when you get it started.

• olcowhand said thank you

#113 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 05:50 PM

Wow Daniel, that sounds like a great combination. The 720 will make a strong back hoe unit. I will be watching this build for sure when you get it started.

That would be IF it gets started! 

#114 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 07:38 PM

I hope you find the time to do this build Daniel.

It'd be a great machine when done.

#115 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 07:51 PM

You need to keep an Allis, Daniel. 720 backhoe would be the ticket.

#116 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 06:16 PM

I've been studying things, and I will put the hydraulic pump under the cover where the PTO clutch shaft went. I'll drive the pump via a universal jointed shaft from the engine. I have a very heavy built front blade that came with it, and my Caddigger frame, once cut off to length will attach at the rear to the final drive plates, then up front to the thick steel plates of the blade mounts that bolt below engine on each side of the 720 frame. The front blade will be the front outrigger, and I'll have to build hydraulic outriggers for at the rear. Being it will be some time getting to this project, in the meantime I can collect what I need as I can afford. I'll need a 2 spool valve and 2 cylinders to control the rear outriggers, plus associated hoses & fittings. I have a driveshaft I can alter for the pump drive.

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#117 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 06:28 AM

Sounds like you have most of the goodies to do this build.

Those hydraulic items won't be to big of a hit, if you watch ebay, or

shop surplus centers. Then it's just a matter of finding a week to

put it all together.

#118 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 09:18 AM

How long will your down riggers be Daniel, 4' or so?

#119 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 09:36 AM

How long will your down riggers be Daniel, 4' or so?

Yes, between 42 & 48".  I'll add hinge plates to the current "slide in & pin" down riggers.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#120 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 09:38 AM