• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 12:21 PM

After I finished mowing, I went back to the shop to look at that intake. I decided to try to level it myself, so I Ground some face off the intake ports to lower it to the level of the worn down exhaust ports. After an hour or so of careful filing, it mated to the block pretty darned good. .002 to .003" was the widest gap on the exhaust, so with the crushing of the new gasket, I think I'll have a good seal. I went ahead & mounted the intake.
With a bit of luck, I may get this engine back together this coming week. Next day off though, no shop time. Taking family to Cumberland Falls.

#47 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 06:42 PM

Got the pistons w/new rings installed back in the block. One piston looks to have been dropped, as it had a ding on the crown & the top ring groove was compressed to where the new ring wouldn't fit all the way into the groove. I broke one of the old rings, then sharpened that edge of the ring on the grinder & used it to cut the groove back to proper fit. All went back in smooth & feels great. This is quitting time for today though.

DSC00490.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00491.jpg
  • DSC00492.jpg

#48 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 07:41 PM

Going back together pretty well . Also I've been meaning to ask , what was the most common use for the 720 tractors ? ( grass cutting , market gardening landscapers ) Al

#49 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:15 PM

Going back together pretty well . Also I've been meaning to ask , what was the most common use for the 720 tractors ? ( grass cutting , market gardening landscapers ) Al

I'd have to say most common was mowing with their 60" decks. Most have the wide Good Year flotation tires like on mine, and they were mainly for mowing. The other option was 16x8 rims with ag tires & 12" rims with tri-ribs up front. They were for garden plowing & the like. When the time comes that I can afford, I would like to put 29x12.50x15 ags on the rear of this. These may be absolutely too wide to plow as they would nowhere near squeeze into even a 12" plow furrow. These flotations are 31x15.50x15.
  • Alc said thank you

#50 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 07:41 PM

both very expensive tire sizes! I was thinking about the 29's for my Bolens but now see they are making UTV tires for 15" rims. Maxxis and ITP i think are the manufacturers

#51 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 05:58 PM

Almost no progress. Been so bloody hot & humid that I'm dragging butt by later afternoon farm chores. I did manage to get the heads torqued down this evening. Sure wish I had more steam in my sails! Can't install the oil pan until I get the oil intake tube mounted. The original was lost, & used on ebay are priced silly. I have some shorter ones from a BF Onan, so I just need to extend the tube 2" and I'll be in business.

#52 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,634 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 06:14 PM

I know what you mean about the heat & humidity. I am not accomplishing much this summer.

#53 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 07:42 PM

Somehow I've completely missed this thread until today! That sure looks like a beast Dan! Sounds like you're handling all of the issues so far too! Great find you have there!

#54 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 08:08 PM

After we all got back from Cumberland Falls, I got a little shop time on Big Allis. The oil pickup tube went missing before I got the tractor, so I took a shorter one from a BF engine & welded in 2" more tube. Once welded solid, I then brazed it to be sure of a perfect seal. Got it installed, cut a new oil pan gasket & oil pan is now installed also. Slow going, but getting there!

#55 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 02:25 PM

Needed to mow today before heading out to my 3 day meeting tomorrow, but so danged hot, I'll mow after milking cows tonight. So I had some more shop time! I have my Onan CCKB completely assembled, minus an oil filter, which my wife is picking up for me today while shopping. I will take out the spark plugs, then crank it over till I see that my oil pressure comes up like it should. I never fire one up just after assembly until I prime the oil system. I took the oil sender unit out & screwed in an oil pressure gauge. I have the timing all set and ready to go when the time comes. I'm suspecting a bad coil because the PO said it would run an hour, then quit. let it sit an hour, then he could mow another hour or so. I have a known good coil on another tractor to test if this one won't develop spark. She won't get fired up before I leave tomorrow for sure, but hoping to prime the oil system before I go.

#56 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 07:45 PM

Great project, and progress. I just found this thread. Looking forward to more reports.

#57 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 03:06 PM

Got her all pressured up with oil, then even fired her up off carb spray. Then no more time to piddle with it. Then while sitting eating lunch, it came to me that I forgot to align the pin into the governor, so the flywheel & timing cover have to come back off! Doesn't pay to get in a hurry! :wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging:

#58 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 06:20 PM

olcow, been there:smile1: good thing you thought of it before turning it up and wrecking a few hard to find pieces. i usually remember right as the engine starts making funny noises:madhop:

#59 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 08:01 PM

Feeling better today, even after a long one. So after supper, I went to the shop, pulled the flywheel & timing cover, aligned the pin & re=assembled. Fired right up, but only with carb cleaner. I think the rubber float needle is stuck in the seat. Maybe tomorrow, but definitely get the carb in order Sunday!

#60 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 09:28 PM

Glad your able to work on the Allis. It's the best therapy I know of when we are having a tough few days.