18 replies to this topic

#1 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 02:13 PM

I need some help on the routing for the transmission belt on my 7. Got her to fire up today and the belt is loose with the clutch out but tightens when the pedal is pushed in. The routing looks to be straight forward but I just cannot figure it out. The pedal doesnt push very far either if at all. I down loaded the manuals allready but they are so fuzzy I cant see the picture to make out what it shows.

The spring on the mower deck I assume goes over the front axle and into the frame where theres a groove cut out but it needs to realllllyyyyy stretch to make it.

Also she didnt want to fire at first, so I pulled the plug wire to see if it had spark and low and behold it started with the wire off allbeit close to the plug and then quit again when it was put back on. Finally got it to run with the plug wire on and it seems to work good. Has a bit of a backfire every now and again but all in all not to bad.

#2 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 03:53 PM

WooHoo!! Glad to hear you got her running. Those aluminum block engines can be real finicky. The carbs can be a nightmare. Sorry, can't help you out with the routing of the drive belt. My 7 is all torn down and waiting for me to go put her back together... Maybe I'll be able to get out there tonight and start on it. Spent the day in the wood shop trying to catch up in there.
:wewantpics:LOL!!

#3 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 07:58 PM

After I made the post I went back down to the tractor and it hit me like a ton of bricks how it went. Got it right on and the drive worked great. However the engine ran exceedingly hot and it pushed a LOT of oil out the breather! I would guess in the 15 minutes I ran it that it lost half the oil in the block. So it looks like if I want to keep using it I need to check that out as well.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Better look for mouse condos
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 08:34 PM

There are oil return holes in the breather cover plate. Make sure they're not plugged, or that it isn't installed upside down.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 08:42 PM

Also make sure your tune is right and check for any blockages in the shrouding and fins. Shouldn't overheat sitting there running.

#7 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 09:08 PM

Better look for mouse condos

I had the tinwork all off when I had pulled the flywheel, she's all clean that way. As for the oil, I just went down and pulled the dipstick and cleaned it off, put it back in and then pulled it out again to check it. Low and behold it's about a 1/4 inch above the full mark. I have a small hill next to my house that I came down on it when I was mowing and I am wondering if that is what made it pump out the oil. For now I'm going to let the oil go and check all the settings on the carb to see if they are right to try and solve the excessive heat issue. The carb itself was to hot to touch for very long. Had the same problem on the kohler on my 100 once, when you ran it the carb itself would be hot to the touch and after some fine tuing and tweaking it is 100% better and now the carb stays very cool to the touch. If this all checks out O.K. the onlt other thing to worry about at the moment is the one pulley on the tightener assembly for the deck drive has a wicker in it. I didnt notice it and it tore up the brand new belt I put on and stretched it to the point that it falls off when disengaged after 15 minutes mowing time. A new pulley there and another belt should hopefully solve that problem. Might change out the air cleaner as well if everything checks out O.K. as the one on it now is an oil bath and the plastic bowl is cracked and doesnt hold any oil. Thinking if I do to see about a paper element filter.

#8 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 09:13 PM

There are oil return holes in the breather cover plate. Make sure they're not plugged, or that it isn't installed upside down.

I think its on right, but I'll double check it.

#9 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 09:17 PM

Also make sure your tune is right and check for any blockages in the shrouding and fins. Shouldn't overheat sitting there running.

It was under load cutting grass. Once she fired and I got her to run halef decently smooth at idle I put her right to work. Was chopping down 3-4 inches of grass in 2nd gear with it.

Just remembered I gotta check the mower deck as well becaused even with the roller set the same on each side it does tend to wanna scalp on the one side. Maybe theres a pin in the hanger that came out or it's misadjusted somewhere.

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 09:52 PM

Too much oil is not a good thing. Where did it come from? Is it a mixture of oil and gas? Any gas smell to it?

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 09:58 PM

Too much oil is not a good thing. Where did it come from? Is it a mixture of oil and gas? Any gas smell to it?

No, it looks like nice clean oil. Honestly I never checked it as I bought it from a friend at work who I assumed had it at the right level. Apparently he never checked it either. Of course he only had it for about three weeks and didnt really use it for anything as he just decided to get out of it when the belt broke. I am going to drain it and put in fresh and see what happens from there.

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 10:26 PM

Well that's good news. Sounds like someone just overfilled it.

#13 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 10:29 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed thats it.

#14 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 10:36 PM

WooHoo!! Glad to hear you got her running. Those aluminum block engines can be real finicky. The carbs can be a nightmare. Sorry, can't help you out with the routing of the drive belt. My 7 is all torn down and waiting for me to go put her back together... Maybe I'll be able to get out there tonight and start on it. Spent the day in the wood shop trying to catch up in there.
:wewantpics:LOL!!

Pics to follow when shes all ready to go to work. As for now it looks the same as the pics I posted from when I bought it, just operational.

#15 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 08:42 PM

Well I think everytings a go with the 7. I worked at it a little this evening and besides the issue I have with needing to get a new pulley on the deck drive and replacing the belt it chew up I think all is well. Readjusted the carb and I think it runs cooler and the settings were not to far off from where I put em. Got the hood and other tin back on and gave it a little bath and then put her back to work pulling the lawnsweeper and it did just fine. You guys were definetaly right on one thing, it steers REALLY tight.