• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 mmmmmdonuts OFFLINE  

mmmmmdonuts
  • Member No: 85466
  • 50 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 07:57 AM

Mostly finished the towers for the loader. Just need to weld some plumbing fixtures to it to finish it as one tower will be used as the hydraulic tank. Each tower consists of the following:

3/8 thick bottom plate
3x3x1/4" tube as the main top
1/4" thick side brackets where the mounting arms will connect.
1" thick block that the hydraulic cylinder connects to.
1/8" top plate cover to ensure the tower is sealed.

After I finish the arms I will most likely go back and weld the plumbing fixtures on and I may solder/braze over the welds to make sure the towers will be air tight just in case I have any porous welds.

rps20170901_080304.jpg
rps20170901_080244.jpg
  • KennyP, Cvans, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#17 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,884 Thanks
  • 5,802 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 09:54 AM

You might want to reconsider the brazing or soldering. Both of those options can make it difficult to get paint to adhere properly. Why not put some air pressure in them and grind and re-weld any leaks?

• KennyP and mmmmmdonuts have said thanks

#18 mmmmmdonuts OFFLINE  

mmmmmdonuts
  • 50 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I will probably do that then. I don't see anything porous welds where it came together and I made sure to buy steel plumbing fittings rather than the cast iron ones normally used (which I always crack when I weld) so I am hoping that will help.

The reason I even thought of it in the first place is it a technique we use at work with some cabinets. The difference being they're aluminum and they get plated after instead of painted. I never thought about paint not sticking to solder/brazing.
  • Cvans said thank you

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,884 Thanks
  • 5,802 posts

Posted September 01, 2017 - 03:26 PM

It's never a good idea to use cast iron fittings in a hydraulic system so your on the right track there. Also you might be surprised and have very few if any leaks  :D

• mmmmmdonuts said thank you

#20 mmmmmdonuts OFFLINE  

mmmmmdonuts
  • 50 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted September 08, 2017 - 01:35 PM

Haven't had a chance to leak check the tower yet but I looked back at the welds and they actually look much better than I remember so I maybe alright.

I made quite a bit more progress today and got the boom arms mostly built before the rain started coming. The arms consist mainly of the following:

2x2x1/8 for the main sections of the booms
1/4" plate gussetts on either side of where the two arms meet
1" thick block where the hydraulic cylinder mounts to the tower
2" wide x1/4" plates where the cylinder will attach to the bucket

Got a little bit more to do including adding the 1"OD x1/2"ID piece of DOM in the ends where the hitch pins will go. There is even a small chance this may get done by winter (minus painting) hopefully!!!

rps20170908_142212.jpg

rps20170908_142150.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, loader, fel, troy bilt, gtx, pf engineering