#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,077 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 09:02 AM

Guess it was time to have my problems.Went to cut grass yesterday even though it's wet[leave tracks all over] It was one of the better days to cut grass.I started the MF 1655 and cut for about 1 hr.I took a quick break and went back to it,the tractor wouldn't start.I tried a few more times and finally it did start but ran only on one cylinder.Ok I knew that I had replaced the right side coil a couple yrs ago so pulled the plug on the left side sure enough no spark.Oh well figured I'd used the MF gc2300 to finish cutting,I started it up and while waiting for it to warm up all of a sudden it started to rattle like crazy.I knew what it was right away as this happened last year as well.The 3 cylinder diesel vibrates so much on lower rpms that the exhaust pipe breaks at the flange that bolts to the exhaust manifold.So now I had to fix that before using it as well.I just shut it off and figured to try the MF 1655 again and it fired right up running on both cylinders so I cut the rest of the grass that I could and didn't shut it off untill I was done.I tried to start it right after shut down and it would only run on 1 cylinder again.But after it cooled down I did start it and it would run on both.So now today I'll fix the exhaust on the MF gc2300 and then next week will have to get the left hand coil for the Honda motor in the MF 1655.Larry

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 09:05 AM

We all have "those days" I'm afraid. At least you accomplished what you set out to do!

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 09:18 AM

Glad you were able to get the 1655 fired back up and finish the mowing. Those days do suck but I guess we all have to take the bad with the good.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 11:21 AM

Those intermittent electrical problems can give you fits. You got the work done in the end at least. I hate it when the problem disappears as soon as you approach the tractor in troubleshooting mode only to reappear at the worst possible time! It looks like you already have the problem nailed down.

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,077 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 12:23 PM

Took the muffler off the MF gc 2300 did the repair etc: put the muffler back on had all the bolts put back into there spots,then grabbed the socket and dropped it.Now where did it go it didn't hit the floor.I started looking into every little spot that I could and noway could I find it.I couldn't really look underneath with the MMM being on so I finally had to take if off so I could look from underneath.Still couldn't see it any where.My other thing next was to pull a shield off the front of the tractor that covers the flywheel etc: I pull it off and still can't see the socket.Look in behind the starter,the motor mounts.Still couldn't find it.I started thinking maybe it hit the ground and rolled under one of the tires or under the mower deck.Still couldn't find it any place.I crawled under again tried pulling the trouble light under with me and couldn't move it,of course the cord had wrapped itself under the cardboard I was laying on,so I had to get back up and straighten it out before crawling back underneath.After doing all that the third time underneath my eye caught on the shiny socket wedged between the front diff and the pivot point.You know I had one heck of a time getting it out of there I had to actually jack the front of the tractor up just a bit in order to get it out.For a few minute job of just taking a couple minutes to tighten the muffler back up ended being at least a extra hour just taking more stuff apart and putting it back together.Hopefully this is over as it started about this time yesterday.LOL Larry

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 09:22 PM

Been there & done that same kind of thing waaay too many times Larry. The worst was when I lost my sunglasses & ranted & raved for a half hour looking for them. Then I bent over to look in a low drawer, and they slipped off the top of my head! And I hadn't been drinking either! LOL

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 09:46 PM

This is a little off topic, but every time I see this thread title I keep thinking it says server load averages LOL. I have been messing with the server too much tweaking :D

#8 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 11:19 AM

At Least you found the socket. I have been working on a engine while it was on my run stand. While i was reassembling the air cleaner assemblies. I noticed a 6mm bolt missing. I was about to just grab another bolt and get ready to start the motor when I had a thought. What if it fell down a barrell of the carb on this side?????? So 15 min later I am staring at this bolt balancing on the throttle butterfly!!

So I know what you mean when you just have to find the socket that fell but didnt hit the floor.