• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 277 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 11:24 AM

I'm in the process of hooking up a 10" plow from my Speedex S23 to the 3 point hitch on my 1632. Can anyone tell me how far inboard of the right hand wheel the plow should be located? I checked on the S19 with a 8" plow and it is about 6" from a line parallel with the inside of the wheel to the tail of the plow. Would it be same for the 10" plow or should the 10" plow be further from the wheel? Any help would be appreciated. Floyd.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#2 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 932 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 11:52 AM

What you want to do is put the left tires from the tractor up on 5" of blocks.  Then with the plow sitting flat on the ground and the land side parallel with the direction of travel the heel of the share should be in line with the inside sidewall of the right tire.

Ideally you set it up with some ability to adjust left <-> right to fine tune it.  Likewise you want to set it up with the top link about half way extended, that way you can control the depth by adjusting the top link.

• MH81 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,362 Thanks
  • 7,747 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 01:52 PM

Have pictures?  Some of early plows didn't have much adjustments. They just kinda bolted into the rear lift arms in place of the hitch bar if you had/have that. Would think you would have to also go from Sleeve hitch or even TO a sleave hitch on the plow, then make a draw bar on the 3pt on other tractor to mount THAT too. Best bet is too go to www.speedextractorinformation.com site and look at the pictures from shows and such and manuals to see just what is or was done to mount such a thing Really think the later tractor used a diff plow, might need to find one of those?? We need pictures of back of both tractors and the plow you have to start.

• MH81 and drbish have said thanks

#4 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • 277 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the help MiCarl. I had  6" of blocks under the wheel to get the plow to line up with the draw bar when the plow is sitting on the garage floor . Like said on the S19 the heel of the share is almost 6" from the inside of the right wheel and it plows nice. You answered what I wasn't sure of. That it would better to have the plow closer to the wheel rather than further away. The way I'm hooking it up I will have room to move it side to side. I'll post some pictures once I get started on it. Maybe tomorrow.

#5 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 932 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 06:58 PM

Like said on the S19 the heel of the share is almost 6" from the inside of the right wheel and it plows nice.

We must have a challenge with terminology.  There is no way what I understand you to be saying could possibly plow well.

The idea is to have the right wheels in the prefious furrow with the plow share making a horizontal slice to the previous furrow.  The moldboard rolls the soil into the previous furrow.  To do that the rear most point of the cutting edge must reach to the furrow you're driving in.  Anything left of the inside of the tire and you're just pushing the soil into the portion that wasn't plowed.

Here is a picture from the Brinly site of a properly set plow working.

Old-Plow-on-JD-GT.jpg

• MH81, old coot, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#6 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • 277 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 07:53 PM

I decided to install the plow on the S19 and measure the offset again.The first time I just set the plow under the hitch of the other S19. This time I got a measurement of 2" which is closer to MiCarl was saying it should be.DSCF6339.JPG DSCF6338.JPG P1060639.JPG Since the picture was taken of the tractor plowing I adjusted angle and it is plowing deeper and is doing a better  and neater job.

Edited by speedbird, June 15, 2017 - 08:01 PM.

#7 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,321 Thanks
  • 1,992 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 09:18 PM

I decided to install the plow on the S19 and measure the offset again.The first time I just set the plow under the hitch of the other S19. This time I got a measurement of 2" which is closer to MiCarl was saying it should be.attachicon.gifDSCF6339.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF6338.JPGattachicon.gifP1060639.JPGSince the picture was taken of the tractor plowing I adjusted angle and it is plowing deeper and is doing a better  and neater job.

The right hand end of the plow share should be just past the inside edge of the tire.  As it now you are leaving a strip of unturned ground.  In pictures  #1 & #2 you are still off by about 2&1/2"

Edited by CRFarnsworth, June 15, 2017 - 09:20 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 932 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 06:36 AM

The right hand end of the plow share should be just past the inside edge of the tire.

I've got the 12" plow on my 1631 set right at the edge of the tire and it's giving me a little trouble.  I suspect things are flexing a bit with it in the ground and I end up pushing instead of rolling the soil.  I'm going to move it 1" to the right before my next outing and see if that helps.

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,097 Thanks
  • 44,116 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 07:29 AM

All Brinly Plow manuals have a set up & adjustment procedure in them. Read those to set your plow.

#10 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • 277 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 06:08 PM

On the S19 there is no sideways adjustment at all. The way the factory decided to mount it is it. The only adjustment is being able to tilt the plow assembly up or down. The plow will pivot left or right as you drive down the field so it may sit at a different offset from the wheel under actual plowing conditions. I'll have to check it next time I use it. Until I started to hook up a plow to the 1632 I never gave it any thought, so all this advice has been a big help. I'm glad I go it before I got too far along with the installation and ended up doing it wrong. Now  I might get it right the first try. When I get it hooked up I'll post some pictures. Floyd.

Edited by speedbird, June 16, 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,097 Thanks
  • 44,116 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 06:21 PM

Without pics, I haven't a clue what you mean in you first sentence. Gotta see what we are working on!

#12 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • 277 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 01:20 PM

Here are some pictures of how the plow hooks to a Speedex S19. To put the plow on you take the draw bar off and use the same 4 bolts to attach the plow.DSCF6340.JPG DSCF6345.JPG

Edited by speedbird, June 18, 2017 - 01:23 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#13 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • 277 Thanks
  • 144 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 05:44 PM

Finally I've got the 1959 plow mounted on the 1978 Speedex 1632 Total cost less than $20. I'll have to take apart to paint some parts and then find some place to try it out in the dirt.DSCF6347.JPG DSCF6348.JPG DSCF6349.JPG DSCF6354.JPG

#14 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 932 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 06:49 PM

Looks good!

#15 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,321 Thanks
  • 1,992 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 08:34 PM

I like your solution for moving the plow laterally. I see how to adjust  the plow tip/landslide angle.  What I don't see is an adjuster to keep the plow vertical.   Was the angle figured in with the new mounts?

Hoping this works out well for you.  There is a certain pleasure in plowing and turning a nice furrow.     Enjoy.                Rick