• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Totegote OFFLINE  

Totegote
  • Member No: 87312
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 08:44 AM

Hello all. A new guy here. I had a s24 my dad gave me years ago with the sliding engine. I've been looking for another Speedex since I got stupid and sold that one but I was wondering when did they start making the ones with transmissions that had more gears at least I think they did and did they have a clutch also? Thanks for any replies. Totegote

#2 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 12:02 PM

I think you need to get into the number series tractor for the multi-speed transmissions.  The next to last digit tells you how many forward gears.  1030, 1630, 1631, 1632 etc. all have three forward speeds.  The ones that end in 40 have 4 speed transaxles.  The ones that end in 7x or 9x are infinitely variable hydrostatic transmissions.  There may be others I overlooked.

I'm not aware of any Speedex having a true clutch after Henry Ford quit supplying parts ('40s I think).  My late 1631 has the engine fixed in place with an idler pulley on an arm to tighten the drive belt.  I'm not sure when Speedex started doing that, probably in the '80s.  Not a true clutch that you can slip - it's pretty much grab and go.

• boyscout862 and Totegote have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,462 Thanks
  • 7,820 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 02:01 PM

Most are sliding engine to tighten belt, or seperate idler that tightens belts on the 4 digit models like Carl says. Many will also have the 3spd warner tranny's in them turned sideways, with belt from engine, then chain going back to the big bullgear set-up on left side. Many with four speeds are the Tans-axle models and probly the least trouble some of all the models. Belt tightening on those. That sliding engine isn't bad, only moves about 1" or so to tighten belt, just need to have the good sliders under engine on frame. Go to www.speedextractorinformation.com for look at the manuals. They are short and just parts books mostly to get ideas of what model you might like. Lots of pictures there also once you learn how site works to get around.

• boyscout862 and Totegote have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,338 Thanks
  • 2,987 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 05:09 AM

My old S19 had 4 speed peerless and an actual pulley style clutch instead of the sliding engine. Good old tractor.

Eventually I wanta find a S18 or S19 with the 8hp Kohler K181 in it. My old S19 had an old blown up 8hp briggs in it. I stuck a 5hp briggs in it and used to run it in the local parade until I gave it to one of my buddies for his kid and him to restore.

Edited by EricFromPa, June 15, 2017 - 05:23 AM.

• Totegote said thank you

#5 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 279 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted June 17, 2017 - 05:49 PM

I believe that I have seen later model S24's on Craig's list that had a 3 speed tranny. I checked the brochure section of the  Speedex tractor information website, but there is lack of details for the 73-74 models. Has anyone else any Info about this.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,462 Thanks
  • 7,820 posts

Posted June 17, 2017 - 11:54 PM

Looking at a 1630 for info is about same. Think might even be same as late S24, just bigger engine?? Sure look the same on most of the rest of it.