Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Stihl,,,,I now have some respect for them!No Bashing intended.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,123 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 01:33 PM

I will say Stihl makes a nice product, but parts are pricey.  I rebuilt a carb on a Stihl weed wacker for a guy.  The rebuild kit for the carb was $65.  It consisted of some gaskets, a diaphragm, and a couple small parts...nothing out of the ordinary.  If you look at what most landscape companies around here use, it's Stihl.  I would say there's a good reason for that.

On a side note...I recently switched to a Troy-Bilt 4 stroke weed wacker.  That thing sips gas, has gobs of torque, and no 2-stroke smoke/smell.  Love it!  Between the weed wacker and my 40V cordless lawn tools, the only 2-stroke item I have left is my chainsaw.  I don't see that changing any time soon.  I do have a 40V cordless chainsaw I use for small trimming.  It's pretty handy.

The identical carb is available on eBay from China for $13 and its flow tested. I replaced mine few years ago although the carb was not the issue as it turned out.  Chainsaws here are Stihl as well as my weed whacker

Edited by Jazz, June 13, 2017 - 01:35 PM.

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#17 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 02:02 PM

I have an 026 pro, Its a hunk of crap.

You can send that hunk of crap my way anytime

Eric .

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#18 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 02:15 PM

I buy the home owner saw for 189.00 MS180 for wood carving because its light and cheap. I use it for about 3-4 years and toss it aside and buy a new one. I can't even begin to think of the amount of hours I put on a saw in one year. My bigger saws tend not to get used as much because they are heavier and I only need them for bigger cuts. Yet again I buy the basic home owner version MS250. The MS250 will last me a good 8 years easily. I always use a premium grade fuel (may contain ethanol) and a top quality synthetic 2 stroke mix.

Also as mentioned above keeping your fuel filter screen is very important, that goes with any brand saw or power equipment, things like a dirty air filter, or fuel screen is the users fault and I have never faulted a saw for things like that.

Since you know I love Stihl saws and many reason why there are some things I can gripe about. one thing is the small passage way for the saw dust to exit, making cut with the grain always clogs up. Another is the small oil ports that lube your chain, these are located in the bar (tiny holes) and have to be cleaned out often. the oil injection system itself is very nice its the holes are to small and work well while clean but after they clog they drip oil down the side of the bar not though it like it should. The last and most problematic thing I have found are the exhaust spark arrester screens get clogged and robs all the power and rpms to your engine.

I have found some simple fixes for these. For the small saw dust passage way I put a paddle bore bit to the side case cover and put two holes right around the sprocket area , removing a little of the material make it harder for the saw dust to get clogged up and also gives you an access port to push it out of if it does clog. Also allows you to see in there. I'll post a pict later if anyone is interested in this.

For the bar ....I just drill a slightly bigger hole before putting any new bar on.

The spark arrester ..... I toss the screen and pry open the front of the exhaust ports with a screw driver.

Be easy on the primer bulb, don't push it like your trying to pump it up , just a few light slow pushes are all you need. This goes with anything with a primer bulb. I only stated this because I see a lot of people pump them and not just lightly push a few times.

I started running the ES series bars. My 361 and 041 Super can really put some oil through those. They have larger and also angled oil ports which I feel work much better over the E bars. Theyre more expensive but are worth it to me. Make my chains last longer and my bars wear less. You didn't mention what bars you used. If your using honeowner saws, im gonna guess and say your using the E series bars? Figured I'd ad some food for though there.

Eric

• Cvans, SupplySergeant and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#19 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 1,948 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 02:27 PM

I started running the ES series bars. My 361 and 041 Super can really put some oil through those. They have larger and also angled oil ports which I feel work much better over the E bars. Theyre more expensive but are worth it to me. Make my chains last longer and my bars wear less. You didn't mention what bars you used. If your using honeowner saws, im gonna guess and say your using the E series bars? Figured I'd ad some food for though there.

Eric

I run the stock E series bar on my larger saws , but for my carving saw I have to swap sprockets & chain to a 1/4 inch pitch  so I can run dime or quarter tip carving bars. Bars and chains are not a big issue with me because I mostly cut soft woods, its the sap and sawdust and clogging that I get. Maybe thats a difference between the ES and the E having larger holes...I never inspected it or used it...I just noticed that the larger holes made my tip drip a bit better and since it takes just a few seconds to bore it out I figured I would share that. 

• dropped82 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#20 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,340 Thanks
  • 2,988 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 03:45 PM

On a side note...I recently switched to a Troy-Bilt 4 stroke weed wacker.  That thing sips gas, has gobs of torque, and no 2-stroke smoke/smell.

I'll stick to my 2 strokes untill they find a way to make them run faster without flying apart. After you run 1 for a while you'll realize they have good Low end torque but nothing at the top end where you need it for trimming tall grass to keep the head from just tangling up and stalling out. Both of mine would float the valves at higher rpms. Good for the average consumer that keeps the weeds short but I regularly trim grass that's 3ft+ high with heavy invasive weeds like Burdock and ivy mixed throughout.

• Cvans, Billy M and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#21 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,300 Thanks
  • 495 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 05:10 PM

I'll stick to my 2 strokes untill they find a way to make them run faster without flying apart. After you run 1 for a while you'll realize they have good Low end torque but nothing at the top end where you need it for trimming tall grass to keep the head from just tangling up and stalling out. Both of mine would float the valves at higher rpms. Good for the average consumer that keeps the weeds short but I regularly trim grass that's 3ft+ high with heavy invasive weeds like Burdock and ivy mixed throughout.

When the weeds get that tall I get out my special weed trimmer,,,Round up :D

• Cvans and dropped82 have said thanks

#22 tractorskipper ONLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 275 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 09:37 PM

For the gentleman complaining about the weak coil, I would suggest that is on purpose.  The mighty & all knowing EPA does not like oil rich 2 cycle mixes!

Weak coil?  I knew they wouldn't run if the mix was not perfect but I didn't know how they did it, that may be it.

Skip

#23 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 611 Thanks
  • 526 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 09:53 AM

I've cut stuff that thick before (with a 2-stroke at the time), but I use a brush blade when it gets that tall.  I also use the blade that looks like a circular saw blade, not the crappy wide 3-blade setup.  It's a Stihl blade I made and adapter for.  I cleared a building lot with that blade one time.  I cut down trees up to about 2" with it. It works great and doesn't tangle like a string trimmer head.  Watch your ankles though!

4153fbde1c18126d6c7bed7b4fdda80a.jpg

Edited by Billy M, June 14, 2017 - 09:54 AM.

• Cvans and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#24 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,900 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 03:56 AM

You can send that hunk of crap my way anytime

Eric .

they are the most uncomfortable to hold chainsaw I've ever used. spend a day with one and you'll agree.