Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Stihl,,,,I now have some respect for them!No Bashing intended.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Reed Breneman ONLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 11:04 PM

I personally have never gotten along with a Stihl anything(Not trying to bash the product or name)And I have proudly converted many friends and family over to Husqvqrna and Echo (My brands)For me Stihls were always broke and something I cant stand is stuff you fix and fix to no avail,Well I worked on a Stihl fs55 string trimmer and learned quite a bit ,The biggest thing was unbelievably cool!!Fuel lines,,,,Why cant other Brands follow their lead.Man to Replace some brands is a real pain in the you know what!Not Stihl ,A screw driver and about a minute and you are done(Awsome)I will give stihl credit for a great design on that part!Now I know that there are several of you who may not get along with husqvarna or echo,Again my intent was not to bash ,,,Actually to compliment!

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,537 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 02:14 AM

I feel your pain, and joy at the same time, wait....what? Lol

Typical with anything mechanical, some functions are designed this way, while others are designed another way, typical with diff brands.

There is good, and bad with everything now days. Unfortunately, it's not with just 1 manufacturer.

Goods are designed with bottom line in mind 1st, last, and always. Unfortunately for us middle class folks, that can't afford a new weed chomper, saw, etc every year, we suffer the most.

Wait till ya get ur hands on a tamper proofed carb on a 2smoke, not all makes have em, but, they are creepin in, and, those engines dont last a dern. (Very, very lean) Just my .00002 cents:)

Edited by stiemmy, June 13, 2017 - 02:21 AM.

• KennyP, boyscout862, KC9KAS and 1 other said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,384 Thanks
  • 3,015 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 05:04 AM

I like the Sthil weed whackers to. I have a fs 56. Only thing I don't like is how weak the coil is on it. You get the oil just a Little to rich and it will not run.Coil is to weak to ignite the richer mixture. You'll flood it out and have gas poring out of the muffler and it still won't start. Mix the fuel as Stihl recommends and it's a powerful smooth running machine.

1st thing you need to do on a new Stihl weed whacker is remove the spark arrester. The performance increase is night and day. Most of the new consumer grade weed whackers have DB (decibel level) guidelines that they must stay within. Stihl cleverly made the spark arrester very easily removable. Just unscrew it and your good to go. No need to remove the muffler or any of the plastic case to get to it.

BTW You can't pay me enough to take another Ryobi branded or Troy bilt branded trimmer. I will NOT work on another one or Own another one even if it's given to me. It will go rite in the dumpster where it belongs.I just junked 3 a couple days ago.

My 30 year old Original Weed Eater feather light still starts in 2 pulls and my old 1985 Homelite st120 starts in 1 pull with only the choke pulled.Both of these have Never had a single drop of 2 cycle oil run though them since they were new.Both of them get used 10W30 mixed in there tanks. 2 large cap fulls of used oil and shake them up to mix.

Homelite is still on it's original gas line. I have a carbide tipped 8" saw blade on it and it gets abused every time I run it.Doesn't care if I put to much oil in it. It just smokes more and keeps the bugs off of ya.

• boyscout862, Sawdust, SupplySergeant and 1 other said thanks

#4 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • Member No: 69470
  • 143 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 06:54 AM

BTW You can't pay me enough to take another Ryobi branded or Troy bilt branded trimmer. I will NOT work on another one or Own another one even if it's given to me. It will go rite in the dumpster where it belongs.I just junked 3 a couple days ago.

I used to work at Home Depot and EVERY year we would get a ton of returns on the Ryobi trimmers for one reason or another. I always pushed people towards the Eco's since they almost never came back. You get what you pay for.

I'm a Stihl guy. They aren't perfect but my blower and trimmer have never let me down. Only 7 years old though.

• boyscout862 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#5 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 06:57 AM

I'm also a Stihl guy. Most issues I mainly see with all the stihl equipment I buy is fuel lines and screen in the carb. Both are easily remedied as you see. I have saws, weedeater, and a blower.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, June 13, 2017 - 06:58 AM.

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,142 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 07:13 AM

Stihl guy from the get go.  Bought a 2 line trimmer about 17 years ago when I bought the acreage.  Been to the shop once and been going strong ever since.  Also have 2 chain saws, one bought about the same time.  Couple or 3 new bars and chains, fuel line replaced and they are both good running saws.  A lot is how they are treated.  Took a Ryobi line trimmer in on trade, wouldn't run.  New $10 carb and it runs like it is supposed to.  It stay down at the lower building and garden area.  Don't get a lot of use but but has never failed me in 2 years now.  I always store mine with the tank up and away from the carb to keep the fuel from flooding the carb.  Good thing we all have different preference or a lot of people would be out of work.

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#7 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,922 Thanks
  • 1,296 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 07:20 AM

I have an 026 pro, Its a hunk of crap.

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,748 Thanks
  • 5,583 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 07:25 AM

I used to work at Home Depot and EVERY year we would get a ton of returns on the Ryobi trimmers for one reason or another.

I almost returned my Ryobi weed eater back a few years ago, fought with that thing for a whole season, almost chucked it over the fence, just wouldn't rev up or hold rpms. The next spring I decided to fix it, of course they have they special mixtures screws you cant turn without the special tool....okay, watch me. I grabbed the cut off wheel in my Dremel and cut slots in both screws, I ended up turning both out 3/4-1 full turn, now she runs like a scolded dog. Emissions BS had it running to lean.

I like my Stihl chainsaws. My 290 gave me fits, but thanks to you al, I replaced fuel lines and fuel filter and she runs good now. Other than the Homelite dad had back the 70's,we've pretty much ran stihl and liked them.

#9 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,353 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 07:57 AM

I like Stihl and Toro. I have a couple of Stihl saws that run like a top. I bought a Husqvarna saw and put less than ten hours on it before problems started. I have a Toro leaf blower that runs like a scalded ape. I bought it to replace a 15 year old remanned Weedeater blower that I bought for $ 40 from Northern Tool. It stil ran but the fuel lines deteriorated and, at the time I didn't have time to work on it. It's on the list to repair but hasn't made it to the top yet. You can Toro push mowers for nothing around here. Clean them up, clean the carb and out good fuel in them and they keep going. After 15 years I put a new plug in my Stihl weed eater. I keep fresh gas in it and run it dry at the end of the season and it has never let me down.

My daddy has a big Stihl that was built in West Germany that starts first pull every time and runs strong. It will put more wood on the ground then you want to bust and stack. The "Made in West Germany" label on it gives you history buffs an idea of how old it is.
  • dropped82, Leonard VanCamp and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#10 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,689 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 08:01 AM

I have used Stihl saws for quite a while, but my go-to small saw was always my 1984 Husqvarna Rancher 50. Unfortunately, my 2200 lb horse stepped on it last fall, broke the oil tank part of the case. Now I'm looking for a similar Stihl, or another Husqvarna.

My trimmer is a Stihl FS90, runs every time, only maintenance it's needed in four years is to make sure I run it dry at the end of the season, then squirt some oil down the plug hole before I put it away.  

#11 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,059 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 08:05 AM

I have used and burred many saws in my past I will only buy Stihl. Most of the time when people complain that they are junk I ask them whats a better saw? I have owned them all from jonsered, to poland, husky, ...There is not a chance that someone can convince me that any of those are any better. 

When doing live demonstration its amazing how many people tell me what saws are the best or better ones to use. I have never thrown a piston in a Stihl, but I have a husky ...first one was a 6 month old saw and it was used as a secondary saw so it had very little time on it. 

If stihl went out of business today and I was left buying another brand I would go to the Jonsereds ...They are just a little bouncy for chainsaw carving and not as balanced. 

• MH81, dropped82 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#12 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 620 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 08:45 AM

I will say Stihl makes a nice product, but parts are pricey.  I rebuilt a carb on a Stihl weed wacker for a guy.  The rebuild kit for the carb was $65.  It consisted of some gaskets, a diaphragm, and a couple small parts...nothing out of the ordinary.  If you look at what most landscape companies around here use, it's Stihl.  I would say there's a good reason for that.

On a side note...I recently switched to a Troy-Bilt 4 stroke weed wacker.  That thing sips gas, has gobs of torque, and no 2-stroke smoke/smell.  Love it!  Between the weed wacker and my 40V cordless lawn tools, the only 2-stroke item I have left is my chainsaw.  I don't see that changing any time soon.  I do have a 40V cordless chainsaw I use for small trimming.  It's pretty handy.

• boyscout862, Jazz and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#13 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,187 Thanks
  • 8,898 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 09:25 AM

I bought my first gas chainsaw in 1981. It was a Pioneer Farm Saw. It lasted until 2009 when the ignition module crapped out. In 1986, for brush work, I bought a small Echo chainsaw and brush cutter/trimmer. They both still work. To replace the Farm Saw I bought a Stihl Wood Boss. It is lighter and has less vibration but doesn't seem to cut quite as fast. I am very happy with it an am going to try modifying my chain grinder to give a sharper angled cutting edge to get it to cut faster. I think that in all tools, when you buy a good brand you have much less chance of problems. That is as long as you do the proper maintenance. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, June 13, 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#14 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,944 Thanks
  • 2,172 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 10:34 AM

I bought a Stihl 036 over 10 years ago and use it heavily. I've had no problems with it other than a fuel line replacement and a few carb cleanings. The small fuel strainer screen in the carburetor should be cleaned once in a while, especially if you notice less power in your saw or it dogs down. Remove the screen, let it dry, and hold it up to a light. You will most likely see that the screen is partially or completely blocked. Clean this screen and your saw will come alive. It drove me nuts the first time my saw bogged, but it ran like new again after I cleaned the screen. I never bought another brand saw new, but I've used some other brand saws that were used. My Stihl has been tough and dependable, so I'll continue to use Stihl products since my Stihl weed whacker has been holding up well, too.

#15 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 2,059 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 12:58 PM

I buy the home owner saw for 189.00 MS180 for wood carving because its light and cheap. I use it for about 3-4 years and toss it aside and buy a new one. I can't even begin to think of the amount of hours I put on a saw in one year. My bigger saws tend not to get used as much because they are heavier and I only need them for bigger cuts. Yet again I buy the basic home owner version MS250. The MS250 will last me a good 8 years easily. I always use a premium grade fuel (may contain ethanol) and a top quality synthetic 2 stroke mix. 

Also as mentioned above keeping your fuel filter screen is very important, that goes with any brand saw or power equipment, things like a dirty air filter, or fuel screen is the users fault and I have never faulted a saw for things like that.

Since you know I love Stihl saws and many reason why there are some things I can gripe about. one thing is the small passage way for the saw dust to exit, making cut with the grain always clogs up. Another is the small oil ports that lube your chain, these are located in the bar (tiny holes) and have to be cleaned out often. the oil injection system itself is very nice its the holes are to small and work well while clean but after they clog they drip oil down the side of the bar not though it like it should. The last and most problematic thing I have found are the exhaust spark arrester screens get clogged and robs all the power and rpms to your engine.

I have found some simple fixes for these. For the small saw dust passage way I put a paddle bore bit to the side case cover and put two holes right around the sprocket area , removing a little of the material make it harder for the saw dust to get clogged up and also gives you an access port to push it out of if it does clog. Also allows you to see in there. I'll post a pict later if anyone is interested in this.

For the bar ....I just drill a slightly bigger hole before putting any new bar on. 

The spark arrester ..... I toss the screen and pry open the front of the exhaust ports with a screw driver. 

Be easy on the primer bulb, don't push it like your trying to pump it up , just a few light slow pushes are all you need. This goes with anything with a primer bulb. I only stated this because I see a lot of people pump them and not just lightly push a few times. 

• MH81, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks