• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 756 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 12:01 PM

Got out in the garage and finished up the horse, other than the starter, before it got really hot out.  Got the decal removed on one side of the hood, notched out the hood to clear the intake assembly and reinstalled the hood.  Trimmed the opening under the seat open just a bit larger and set the battery in place, wired that up to the starter so I could sort out the rest of the wiring.  Everything works, grid heater, lights ect.  And I can "bump" the starter.  So once the 12vdc starter arrives, I can key start her.  I got the old engine sold, took that money and got a new air filter and a complete 12vdc charging system ordered.  Other than dealing with decals on the intake side of the hood, she is mostly done and ready to go to work.  Might try mowing a bit this afternoon.   She starts on one pull with the rope starter.  I extended the exhaust about 3 inches to clear the hood by an inch or so, that should keep any soot off the paint.  Mike

20170615_124537_zpsmeaw3tm6.jpeg

20170615_124600_zps0q7vqexg.jpeg

20170615_124641_zpsn85xzfem.jpeg

#47 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 756 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 02:17 PM

Mailman brought me a 12vdc starter today.  I swapped it with the 24vdc one and now she fires up with the turn of the key.   I should have the charging system kit early next week.  I have to pull the flywheel and install a metal cup with magnets on the inside of the flywheel, then the stator ring on the block.  A small voltage regulator mounts just below the starter and a single wire goes to the hot side of the battery.  I can tap that feed at the terminal on the starter solonoid that is direct feed from the battery.   

#48 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

--Crazy about GTTalk-- 'sort of'

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,403 Thanks
  • 8,666 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 02:17 PM

Man, your fast! Any employer would be well to hire you.

• Cvans said thank you

#49 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,712 Thanks
  • 30,338 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 02:22 PM

Where abouts do you live Mike?

#50 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 756 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 02:39 PM

Thats part of the austim, the ablity to hyper focus.  But if its something I have no interest in, then its hard to get any motivation to do it.  There is little to no middle ground.   I am going thru the process of being hired for the local Chrysler plant here in town, have to go to Indy tomorrow for drug screen and physical.  I am very good at assembly, as long as its not to fast as I can become a bit of a clutz if pushed to fast.    

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#51 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,712 Thanks
  • 30,338 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 07:21 PM

have to go to Indy tomorrow for drug screen and physical.  

Good, you're easy driving distance to come to my plow days!    Just a 3hr drive.

#52 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 756 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 08:30 PM

I am an hour north of Indianapolis.  We have been trying to get a good north central area plow day going for a few years.  Need someone with ground that is into GT's and willing to host once the crops are harvested.   

#53 pryan05 ONLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84973
  • 379 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 07:14 AM

Nice work on your conversion, you got to love the click clack of a diesel at low RPM.  You sure made quick work of that job.  Thanks for posting.

Ryan

• Cvans said thank you

#54 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

--Crazy about GTTalk-- 'sort of'

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,403 Thanks
  • 8,666 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 09:12 AM

Thats part of the austim, the ablity to hyper focus.  

With focus like that , you could light a cigarette.

What's your next project???

• Cvans said thank you

#55 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 756 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted June 18, 2017 - 08:07 PM

Cant afford another project right now.  I did get the parts in to install the battery charging system on the Yanmar.  So that has to be done yet.  Mows excellent, will be cutting more yards tomorrow.  Will be working with my custom decal guy on new hood decal for that side where the intake cut out had to happen.   Mike

• olcowhand, Cvans and LilysDad have said thanks

#56 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 756 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 06:58 PM

I made quick work of installing the magnet ring/cup assembly inside the flywheel and the stator ring to the block.  Now she is charging her battery when running.  I have mowed 3 yards so far with no problems other then my worn twist lock throttle creeping back toward idle once and awhile.  I will pick up a new one here in the near future.  Starts nearly instantly, even first in the morning. The intake heater probably isn't really necessary, but nice to have if I need it. Mike

• Cvans said thank you