• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 05:14 PM

That is the one benefit from my disorder, hyper focus and the ablity to "see" how things fit together in my mind.  The downside is I will not notice how hot and crappy I feel till I need to sit down from being overheated.  I did have my fans going as it was quite hot and humid today here.    I worked out the muffler arrangement  while sitting in the "throne room" this morning.  Just had to wait for the engine to be in place so I could tack the muffler to the flange mount where I wanted it.  Then finish welding off the engine.   I will have to shorten the decompression lever and I shaved the filer cap smooth instead of having a tall rib to twist it open. Most of these engines lack the top filler cap, and there is oil fill/dip sticks on both sides of the crankcase down at the bottom.  I can open it with a small channel lock when I change the oil.  The hood will lay on top of the valve cover, but I am adding some spacers between the hinge and the grill to raise the nose up about a 1/2 inch to gain just a bit of clearance over the valve cover.  I will have to notch the one side(left side) to go over the intake.  I am talking to a WH decal maker about a new hood decal for that side, and replacing the "8" below the word Commando with "Diesel" in the same font and colors.  He made the custom Autism decals for it for me.  I can either raise the whole decal up above the intake notch on the left side of the hood, or just seperate the words Wheel and Horse on each side of the notch. I will notch the hood tomorrow, I am to tired to do it now and would make a mess of it.  If I figured it right, the exhaust exits just below the hood line, and just a short extension pipe to clear the hood side should be needed.  There is enough air flow that it blows well clear of the tractor.    Mike

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#32 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,495 Thanks
  • 9,327 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 05:31 PM

It's a shame you have to cut the hood, but I'm sure you will make a neat job of it and it will look factory.

You mentioned a new drive belt. I've had trouble with using the ag belts from Farm & Fleet until they are broke in. They are stiffer than the Wheel Horse belts and somehow that conflicts with the WH type drive.

#33 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 05:46 PM

So far the belt I put on the transmission, a bit over a week ago when the original one died, is doing fine. I normaly use the green "power rated" kevlar belts from Gates, but they were out of the one I needed for the transmission.  That belt is fine with the diesel, but the crank shaft sits a bit higher up than the Kohler, so a bit longer mower PTO belt is needed, probably an inch bigger.  I will take the Horse on my trailer with me so I can fit the belt up in the parking lot.   Mike

• Cvans said thank you

#34 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,180 Thanks
  • 8,584 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 05:51 PM

Engine looks like it belongs there. 

#35 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 06:10 PM

Its close to that Willie.  I could engineer an underhood intake, but it would be hard to retain the intake grid heater.  Also, diesels like a nice cool air for the intake, and not the hot air from under the hood, it hurts performance.  Espically when I have to mow on really hot and humid days.  So the cooler air from outside the hood and the intake grid heater are the main reasons I am going to notch the hood.  I will keep it as clean as I can.  Other brand of GTs had thier hoods notched from the factory to clear air intakes and exhausts, Case and Sears come to mind.  For those that come to the Rochester IN tractor show, she should be there on Saturday.   Mike

• Cvans said thank you

#36 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 07:53 PM

she should be there on Saturday.   Mike

You know I think your going to make it. After listening to you talk about your muffler I put together one on mine today. What a difference. It's wonderful and no more straight stacks for this kid. 

• olcowhand said thank you

#37 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 08:01 PM

This one seems to work ok, came off a 5hp Honda on a pressure washer that the cam chain broke. We scrapped the motor and I hung on to the muffler. I could never take straight exhaust on non turbo diesel.  My pickup has 3 inch straight off the turbo. Its a Detroit Diesel 6.5L V8.    I just sold the huge moldboard plow that was to large for this little horse and while waiting for him to show up, I took the muffler back off the engine and painted it with high temp flat black paint.  Looks much better.  I have to get her done, I have one more yard to mow this weekend, then more next week.  We got just over 2" of rain tonight, so the grass is gonna grow!  Tomorrow's tasks are electric start wiring and battery mounting, hood notching and reinstall, then load on trailer and up to Rural King to sort out the belt length for the mower PTO.  Mike

Edited by mtoney, June 14, 2017 - 08:02 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#38 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 08:22 PM

I happened to have a good muffler off of a Cub Cadet 127. Fit like a glove and is so quiet. 

1717-3426.jpg

#39 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 08:31 PM

Awsome.  You did what I did, used something you had in your bin/drawer/shelf of "stuff"!  I hope the starter shows up a day early to, my back is really feeling it tonight from yanking on that engine so many times today while bleeding the injection system.  Mike

#40 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,227 Thanks
  • 30,828 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 09:08 PM

Mike, the WH is looking great!  That little diesel is gonna pull so much stronger than the Kohler.  I'm totally sold on diesels in my GT's.  Besides the torque, they costs way less for fuel.  I burned about 2 gallons mowing out at Dad's the other day, and he said he burned almost 5 gallons of gas in his zero turn when he could still do his mowing.

• Cvans said thank you

#41 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 09:15 PM

There are a bunch more of these on ebay for sale, one add says he has 100's in stock.  The grid heaters work on 12vt, I just reduced the stack from 2 to 1 row.  Just replace the starter, $65, and your all set.  The shaft adapter was $61.   The diesel I got cost me $425 with shipping, added all up is still way under what brand new Yanmar costs.  And about the same as the clone of this model.  I will take a genuine model over the clone.  These were made in Italy by Yanmar according to the build tag on it.  Also has an excemption for the federal goverment due to being a Non EPA compliant model.   Nice that our federal goverment can get away with that.  She starts first rope pull now that the air is out of the injection system.  She will get her first mowing use on Sunday probably, or possibly even friday before I clean her up for a show.  Its a small yard, good test run.  Mike

#42 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,227 Thanks
  • 30,828 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 09:18 PM

I would like to buy one of these, but right now I don't want to spend the money.  Hoping some are still available at this price when I'm ready.  

#43 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 09:23 PM

I know that feeling.  Thankfully I got something sold that I was selling on ebay to fund the purchase of the diesel.  Waiting on the start date for my new job.  Will make affording things easier, just wont be making many shows for a couple years till I can bid a different shift than the one I will probably be on.   Mike

#44 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 11:56 PM

It looks like that shaft is long enough that you could cut off the taper and still have plenty left for a pulley. 

#45 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 07:08 AM

you could, but its undersized to the pully and has no keyway.  With the load from the transmission belt and mower deck, and plow days with the moldboard plow are in the works as well.  So I wanted her set up right.    Mike

• olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks