• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 07:56 PM

Thats for sure!  Thats one reason why I did the tractor, so many misconceptions about those of us on the spectrum.  While I am considered high functioning, I do need support to live. Should something happen to my wife, I have a trustee to manage my finances and make sure bills are paid.  I need a routine to my work and written lists as I have no short term memory.  I need a special weighted blanket to sleep and calm down with agitated. When I get very overwhelmed/overstimulated I become non verbal.  i have lots of issues with sensory intergration issues, certain loud sounds, or other certain sounds are unbearable.  Bright daylight is like looking into a welders arc for me. So I have automatic tinting glasses, and very dark tint on my truck windows.  I have what they call an eyebrow tint on my windshield that I can look thru at night to deal with glaring oncoming headlights. I run amber fog lamps on my truck as its less glaring for me and I can see to drive.  Without them its hard for me to see to drive at night.  Along with huge socializing issues outside of the net that would take hours to describe.   So yes, I have my challenges.   Cheers  Mike

• olcowhand, Cvans and LilysDad have said thanks

#17 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,496 Thanks
  • 9,327 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for having the courage to share Mike! I find it fascinating to perceive other people's perspectives. Do you know that there are people in south east Asia that see different colors than we commonly do? The rainbow is one smooth transition of changing light. It is we who have decided to divide it into red, yellow, orange green, etc. Well, these people I mentioned, divided it into something different.

In the same way, people in India have a different number of notes in their musical scale. There are so many things in our lives that only exist because we have mutually agreed to perceive them that way. When someone decides to look at them differently, it can be inspiring.

• Cvans said thank you

#18 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 09:37 PM

I have no reason to doubt that your diesel conversion is going to be a complete success. You seem to be one who investigates things to a great degree before diving into a project. I would suspect that your ability to retain that information is probably greater than most people and therefore more usable to you. Have you ever run into the phenomena of storing information in boxes or cubby holes? I have at least two relations that claim to do this. At least one has been called on to try and teach others how to do it. 

Thanks for enlightening us on the aspects of your world. I wish more would do it so it would be easier for others to understand. 

• olcowhand and LilysDad have said thanks

#19 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence Chris! And, yes I research things to death.  I ordered a new 12vdc starter for it since I had the $$ at this time.  With mowing season in full swing and me lacking the patience to wait to convert her over in the off season.  I want to be able to converted over a period of a few days.  I plan to go back and put 12vdc charging on the motor, just a magnet cup and stator that is around $50, then a $30 regulator and we have charging.  I will make that whole decision once I see how the extended intake works with the hood, if it looks dorky, then I will remove the intake heaters and mount the air cleaner in its normal position, which should keep it inside the hood.  I dont mind sharing my struggles one bit, if those that can verbalize what things are like do not, then the normal folks will have no idea what its like from my point of view.  Where daylight is like white hot flame and is actually painfull till my glasses tint.  And while I can blast music for a short while to relieve stress, at a point only I can deterimine, I turn everything off to enjoy the silence.  I usually listen to the tractor for short mowing jobs, but on longer runs and when attending other really loud events, I wear my headset to tone down everything. How I dislike being hugged, or touched unless I initiate it.  Thats one of the easiest ways to piss off or trigger a meltdown in someone on the spectrum, touch them without thier consent.  Its all I can do not to go off on family at gathering when they want to hug ect.  And they know I am on the spectrum!   I am normally very quiet and introverted, till you get me going on garden tractors/mowers or my model trains!   Wanna talk about sports, eh....not so much here!       My engine, shaft adapter and starter should be here this week.  Already working on exhaust ideas in my mind, the motor just has a two stud flange mount, no muffler or anything.  factory muffler would foul the fuel tank in the wheel horse and I do NOT want a stack.   Thinking a little gravely muffler tucked under the hood with a 90' elbow pointed slightly downward to shoot the exhaust down and away from me.      Mike

• olcowhand said thank you

#20 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 11:46 AM

How I dislike being hugged, or touched unless I initiate it.  

While I understand this is not all that uncommon your wife must be a very understanding person. Your lucky to have her.  :thumbs:

I can also relate to your wanting a muffler of some sort. I have none on the Lister but that is going to change when it gets moved into the next tractor. After about an hour of listening to that Thumping my head starts to pound.  :hitting_self_roller:

#21 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 12:52 PM

She wasnt at first, I was undiagnosed till I was 39.  We were in marriage counciling and the therapist diagnosed me, which was further supported by the Dr I had to see to qualify for state vocational rehab to help me find some type of job.  I am in the middle of that process, moving at the speed of goverment as usual.  She now understands and accepts who I am and that she cannot change things about me.  Make me more into cuddling ect.  Yes she is very understanding once she learned I wasnt being a horses ass on purpose. I have few friends, having run most of them off over the years. Mike

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#22 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,262 Thanks
  • 1,710 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 02:18 PM

Not true with my Hogzilla. I leave my hydro set at full speed, then use my throttle to set my ground speed. But then it's 25hp diesel, and the heavy duty hydro/trans out of a Simplicity, same as what's in a John Deere 430. I've had lots of smaller hydro's, but wasn't into the plowing with them back then. I'm sure the smaller ones did have the issues you speak of.

I second that!!

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#23 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 05:47 PM

I can believe larger hydro tractors do not suffer from this issues.  With enough horse power and better control linkages than is normal on a garden tractor such as a Cub Cadet or JD that are commonly seen at plow days.  I have seen guys use throttle to control speed of Cub Cadet with the hydro handle fully in the foward position, but not a good idea on an air cooled engine.  Liquid cooled would be a different story.   Looks like the engine will be here by the end of business tomorrow.  Friday for the 12vdc starter and shaft adapter.   I have a muffler from a 855 JD, I might be able to use it, wont know till the engine is in place and I see how much room I have.  I will have to make an adapter or cut and weld, not a problem as I am getting pretty good with my little harbor freight mig welder!     Mike

#24 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,183 Thanks
  • 8,584 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 06:39 PM

I am looking high and low for a diesel for my FF

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#25 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 07:32 PM

I am looking high and low for a diesel for my FF

How many horse power are you looking for?

#26 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,183 Thanks
  • 8,584 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 07:35 PM

How many horse power are you looking for?

Around 20 maybe more

• KennyP said thank you

#27 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 07:49 PM

Thought I might be able to help you out but right now I only have a 12 hp Kubota and 13 hp Yanmar here. 

• UncleWillie said thank you

#28 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 09:56 AM

Here is the Horse today, awaiting the arrival of FedEx.  Since I took the pic, I removed the fuel tank and installed a return line fitting at the top of the tank.  And FexEx arrived, took me 30 min to unbox the engine as they incase it in "great stuff" expanding foam!   It arrived safe and sound to say the least.  I can see that I will have to relocate the battery to the area under the seat to give me the room to line up the crankshaft with the mower PTO.   More pics later.   Mike

20170614_095323_zpsavtznuda.jpeg

• olcowhand, Cvans and LilysDad have said thanks

#29 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 818 Thanks
  • 683 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 03:50 PM

Next round of pics!!!   Here is where I am at with it.  I drilled new holes in LH frame rail, welded mounting tabs on RH frame rail and bolted engine in place.  Plumbed in the fuel and fuel return lines to the factory fuel tank, found out that the intake heaters will work on 12vdc so I reduced them to a single bank as powering both with a normal L&G battery might leave little to crank her over with if its really cold.  I picked up a heavy duty momentary push button switch and mounted it where the choke cable used to be on the dash.  I wired the old generator red indicator light to the switch so I know I am getting power to the intake heater.  I also picked up the long battery cable and covers to go over the terminals on the battery to protect it from shorting out.  I think the throttle cable is long enough, but I need a screw lock mount to connect it to the throttle lever on the front of the diesel.  With only rope starting, it took awhile to bleed the fuel system, but once cleared of air, she fires right up.  Just roll it easy till you hit compression, stop and depress the compression release lever, put foot on front tire, and yank the rope hard.  Throttle control is right on the front of the engine for the moment till I get the cable hooked up. The muffler is a Honda one from an engine I junked, I welded it to a flange that I salvaged from another junked engine(good reason I keep some of this crap for years!!), I also had to weld the holes shut in the muffler body as it bolted on the original motor. I will weld on an extension once I get the hood fitted to the Horse again.  I let it run at mid rpm for about 30 min, then idled down and shut it down.  About that time the mail arrived and low and behold my tapered shaft adapter showed up.  I installed it and the tripple cast stock Wheelhorse pulley and fitted up the belt cover, had to drill a couple new holes and add a spacer or two, but I just finished driving the horse around.  I will need a slightly longer belt for the mower PTO.  Thats fine as the original one has WH markings and is probably close to original and is about shot anyways.   Mike

20170614_152432_zpsrn2xrm85.jpeg

20170614_152530_zpsv2esvksv.jpeg

20170614_152512_zps37sliakt.jpeg

20170614_162638_zpsoo2k30nb.jpeg

Edited by mtoney, June 14, 2017 - 03:59 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#30 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,185 Thanks
  • 5,948 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 04:09 PM

Your a quick worker and it's turning out nice. Is the valve cover low enough to fit under the hood?

Your starting to make me wish I had the other WH here.