• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 768 Thanks
  • 667 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 07:14 AM

This will be the official repower thread for my custom Commado 8 "Autism Horse".  Pictured below is the tractor as she is today with her Kohler K181, and a couple pictures from the eba

1196a0ef-6016-4c89-a126-518a5d086162_zps

s-l1600%207_zps6mskweli.jpg

s-l1600%206_zpscnvjybir.jpg

• olcowhand, LilysDad, Coventry Plumber and 1 other said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,794 Thanks
  • 5,745 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 08:32 AM

I just purchased this WH with plans to take the Lister-Petters out of a Hydro WH to put in here. I had it in a manual WH before and it made a much better combination. The hydro takes too much horse power to operate. And yes the Hood will have to be raised to accommodate it. The gentleman is suppose to hold it a couple months till I can get up there to get it. 

00R0R_kOSwZGi5PhC_600x450.jpg

This is the tractor during construction that it is in now.

WH to Lister 013.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#3 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,455 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 12:00 PM

I just purchased this WH with plans to take the Lister-Petters out of a Hydro WH to put in here. I had it in a manual WH before and it made a much better combination. The hydro takes too much horse power to operate. And yes the Hood will have to be raised to accommodate it. The gentleman is suppose to hold it a couple months till I can get up there to get it. 
00R0R_kOSwZGi5PhC_600x450.jpg

This is the tractor during construction that it is in now.
attachicon.gifWH to Lister 013.JPG

Great looking rig!!!

I'm kinda confused on the hydro taking too much power post?? It would be a challenge to over work that Diesel!

#4 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 768 Thanks
  • 667 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 12:19 PM

Hydros do sap power compared to a gear drive tractor.  The story on the cub cadet line and the first hydrostatic drive garden tractor they did discusses this issue.   Also, at plow days, you have to "baby sit" a hydro with constant adjustments to maintain ground speed.  With a gear drive, pick your best gear and sit back and let the plow eat dirt!  My whole plan is to make the install look factory as possible with little to no hood modifications.   The Yanmar is 7hp with the torque of nearly a 10hp gas engine.  It will just fit under the hood with the hood fully closed as I had the seller give me a height measurement before I purchased the engine.    Mike

• Cvans said thank you

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,794 Thanks
  • 5,745 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 01:12 PM

My Lister is only 5 hp. at the rpm's the governor is set for. It totally destroyed the transmission on the first WH. I'm hoping the 16 hp. WH has a heftier gearbox. We could put the tractor against a power pole in second gear high range and it would dig those over sized ATV tires down to the frame on hard ground. The next one will not be abused as it is such a pleasure to use in the garden. The sound of that low rpm diesel is pure music. 

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,794 Thanks
  • 5,745 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 01:21 PM

Here it is installed in the first WH with the stick transmission. I will try and make a Video of it today so you can hear it starting and running. 

2ir21jr.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, Mark 149 J. and 1 other said thanks

#7 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 768 Thanks
  • 667 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 03:36 PM

Might only be 5 hp, but the torque pulse is what killed the transmission.  Same issues with the transmissions in the early Dodge Ram's with the Cummins diesel, they didnt put up with the torque from the I6 for very long.  Beefing them up was the only solution, espically in a truck that was "turned" up.     The little Yanmars are very smooth, have internal counter balance shafts to smooth them out.    Mike

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 5,794 Thanks
  • 5,745 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 03:57 PM

Here is the sound. I found this old video and after this I'm out of here as I've hijacked your thread for too long already.

When do you think you will have your engine in hand? Your going enjoy this project. Get your belt length and alignment right and the rest is a walk in the park. Hope you will post photos as you go. 

http://s857.photobuc....mp4.html?o=264

#9 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 768 Thanks
  • 667 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 04:38 PM

Should have engine and shaft adapter before the end of the week.  I should be able to keep the same belts as the crank height is the same between the two engines.  If not, the local Rural King is 5 min from my house.  BTDT!  Might start on it Sunday or later next week, Have a tractor show to take her to this weekend.  So one more show as a gasser!    Mike

• Cvans said thank you

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,166 Thanks
  • 7,598 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 05:24 PM

I would think most of wheelhorse trans are same??  Seems there is more idle gears in the differentials or such is the difference?  Putting these big Deisels in a tractor doesn't win any "looks" contest for sure. Maybe that Yanmar will be little nicer looking, looks neat just as it is in the pictures. Has one beefy starter on it for a little guy. Does one need to get bigger battery's to make these turn over?  There was a fella at the Wheelhorse gathering s that always had those in some racy looking chassis and he would go out on the road and race off!  He could even do Wheelies AND, get this.....shifted the manual trans, stock he said, into next gear w/out using clutch!  Was neat as heck. He had about three of them in diff sizes.

Found some pix from that show.  Seems I'm missing a couple, didn't see in my pictures that were one he raced up road. That little rig had tiny engine, not a diesel, but was kinda rat-rod cute.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1004141249.jpg
  • 1004141249b.jpg
  • 1004141250.jpg
  • 1004141250a.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, June 12, 2017 - 05:55 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#11 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,845 Thanks
  • 8,956 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 06:04 PM

It totally destroyed the transmission on the first WH. I'm hoping the 16 hp. WH has a heftier gearbox.

I would think most of wheelhorse trans are same?? 

What you want is the trans with 1 1/8" axles, 8 pinions and maybe posi if your pulling.

​Edit: This trans is capable of withstanding 35-40hp in pulling matches.

I'm curious to know if your autism horse has any savant abilities.

Edited by LilysDad, June 12, 2017 - 07:00 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,074 Thanks
  • 30,468 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 06:13 PM

Hydros do sap power compared to a gear drive tractor.  

Also, at plow days, you have to "baby sit" a hydro with constant adjustments to maintain ground speed.

Not true with my Hogzilla.  I leave my hydro set at full speed, then use my throttle to set my ground speed.  But then it's 25hp diesel, and the heavy duty hydro/trans out of a Simplicity, same as what's in a John Deere 430.  I've had lots of smaller hydro's, but wasn't into the plowing with them back then.  I'm sure the smaller ones did have the issues you speak of.

• Cvans said thank you

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,074 Thanks
  • 30,468 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 06:15 PM

Oh, and Mike, that little Yanmar looks to be perfect for the WH.  What is it's HP rating?

#14 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 768 Thanks
  • 667 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 07:14 PM

The Yanmar is 6.6hp at 3600 rpm.  And the Autism Horse has no more of any savant abilities than I do.  Common misconception that all autistics have some kind of savant ability.  I am gifted in the mechanical ablities area as long as it it not to complex.  I need to get a new tach a matic for the mower deck, mine is very worn and it lets the mower deck get cockeyed and then it binds against the bottom of the tractor's frame.   Yes, some of the diesel installs leave less to be desired in the cosmetics department.  I am trying to keep it factory looking as possible.  Mike

• olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks

#15 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,845 Thanks
  • 8,956 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 07:31 PM

.  Common misconception that all autistics have some kind of savant ability.  I am gifted in the mechanical ablities area as long as it it not to complex.

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't mean to imply that you did, but hey, It's a Wheel Horse. They're all high functioning!