11 replies to this topic

#1 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 06:30 AM

Im gathering parts for power steering for the bolens diesel repower. I see there are 4 and 5 port orbital valves. I also plan on adding extra spool valves. Deck lift, 3 point lift, and 3 sets of hydraulic quick connects (2 front 1 rear). Is either orbital valve acceptable for my application? should i run all this off the hydro(eaton 12) or off a separate hydraulic pump and reservoir?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 10:09 AM

Definitely go 5 port. The 5th port is "power beyond" for remote valves. The charge/lift pump will do fine for small cylinders such as 3pt lift or push blades, but if wanting fast action from larger cylinders, you'd be way better with a separate hydraulic pump & reservoir, especially being the power steering will draw it's fluid first, so while turning, the oil flow for the remotes would be limited if using hydro fluid.

#3 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 10:44 AM

ok next question. Steel lines. I want to make steel lines for the quick connects. What to use? fittings and flares?

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 02:03 PM

I've never dealt with making steel lines, so I can't help you there. I used all normal hydraulic hose on my stuff.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 08:35 PM

A few things I can think of . You'll want to make sure that you get the correct flaring tool for the fittings you plan to use , some are 37' and others are 45' . How big are the lines you want to use ? 1/2" benders are pretty $ if you go that big .

#6 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 10:50 AM

If it were me that was going to do this, I would start out by looking up the specs for the hydrostatic pump in my tractor. What is the GPM of the charge pump? How much pressure can that charge pump deliver?

Then I'd look at the steering pumps that are available to see how much oil flow they need to operate safely. Steering pumps need a certain amount of oil to just make the tractor's wheels turn a corner at slow ground speeds but if you speed up rate in which your make the wheels turn from straight ahead to a very sharp turn, then the steering pump demands a higher flow rate. If the flow rate isn't there, then the tractor will be hard to turn and choppy or jerky.

The question then turns to what all these other remotes are going to be used for and whether you intend to power only small cylinders or you have large cylinders or motors in mind. The answers to those questions will determine everything you are about to undertake. It may turn out that your charge pump is simply inadequate for the task. If so, then you will have to decide whether you want to split the system up. As an example. the charge pump would probably be fine for feeding a 5 port steering pump which in turn feeds a two spool open centre valve with a built in relief. One spool would operate the 3 point and the other would take care of the mid-mount deck lift. A stand alone gear pump driven off a new pulley attached to the engine would feed a 3 spool valve with built-in relief to take care of the 2 rear remotes and the 1 front remote. You will need a reservoir tank for this closed system. A cooler is not necessary if no motors are involved but a steel reservoir tank from a pre-76 Case GT would be ideal for this application.

Cylinder size will dictate the GPM of the pump, the choice of valves and the size of steel lines, hoses and quick couplers. You will also have to decide on the "function" of the various valves. For instance..... the valves that control the 3 pt hitch and mid-mount lift should have a "Float" feature built into them. If you intend to put a power angle snow blade on the front, then the remote that angles the blade should have spring -return to centre and no float position but it you use a front mounted cylinder to raise and lower the blade, then float position will likely be a nice thing to have.

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 11:20 AM

You will be good with #6 steel Hydraulic Tube. Use a JIC 37 Deg. flaring tool and it will be compatible with the other JIC fittings you will be using.
Hydros put out about 4-5 GPM
  • hammerdwn20 said thank you

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 11:24 AM

Not sure on the Eaton's, but Sundstrand lift pumps put out 2 1/2 to 3 gpm max.

#9 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 01:13 PM

That hydro is 3gpm MAX. Are you going to turn the engine at 3600? And the relief valve is only 500psi?

#10 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 05:17 PM

That hydro is 3gpm MAX. Are you going to turn the engine at 3600? And the relief valve is only 500psi?

Mike.....that's pretty low on both counts.

Again....if it were me........I would opt for a completely separate hydraulic system for this application. The governed speed of the diesel comes into play then because you don't want to overspin the pump. If this is a 3600 RPM diesel, then a decision needs to be made whether the pump is going to be belt driven or coupled to the flywheel of the engine. I would choose a pump that puts out close to 8 GPM @ O PSI @ 3600 RPM. I'd feed the output into a variable priority valve that could provide anywhere from 1 to 4 GPM to the steering pump. The rest would flow through the two open-center valve bodies and back to the tank.

#11 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 05:11 PM

wow didn't know i got all these replys. thanks
The remotes will only be used for small cylinders. angling front and rear attachments mostly. Im going to try running it off the hydro first. If it doesn't work well i have a hydraulic pump the mount to the rear of the fuel camshaft of the kubota.

Ducky, thanks ill look into that

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 22, 2011 - 05:15 PM

The hydro will do fine for what you intend.