15 replies to this topic

#1 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,599 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 09:46 AM

Well, a deal came by me that I couldn't pass up. I'm not really into ztrs but have thought of getting one. Snagged this Cub Cadet for really cheap. Wiring issues pertaining to the pto clutch. I pretty sorted it out after loading it so hoping to start mowing with it.

It's a Rzt 50 with a 50" cut and 22 hp Intek twin. Runs great and hydros are good. Only thing I would like to do is possibly put larger tires/wheels on it. I don't want to go too extreme and burn up the hydros. Any thoughts on these? Any tips? I know the Intek requires clean oil to keep from detonating. Hope it'll last me, although I don't have much in it if it doesn't.

Eric20170609_221236.jpg 20170609_221244.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,969 Thanks
  • 9,524 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 11:25 AM

What are trying to accomplish by putting on larger tires?
  • WrenchinOnIt and dropped82 have said thanks

#3 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,320 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 11:40 AM

Well, a deal came by me that I couldn't pass up. I'm not really into ztrs but have thought of getting one. Snagged this Cub Cadet for really cheap. Wiring issues pertaining to the pto clutch. I pretty sorted it out after loading it so hoping to start mowing with it.
It's a Rzt 50 with a 50" cut and 22 hp Intek twin. Runs great and hydros are good. Only thing I would like to do is possibly put larger tires/wheels on it. I don't want to go too extreme and burn up the hydros. Any thoughts on these? Any tips? I know the Intek requires clean oil to keep from detonating. Hope it'll last me, although I don't have much in it if it doesn't.
Eric attachicon.gif20170609_221236.jpgattachicon.gif20170609_221244.jpg

I thought the same thing when I bought my Simplicity ZTR, but you have to condition your mind away from its a GT and needs 12 in wheels . Trust the mfg that their due diligence sized the combo correctly. Larger rears will mess up your deck level unless you get after the front. Me I'd clean 'er up put the money towards maintenance, fluids , filters ,etc and a set of Gator blades. ZTR's speed up your mowing process means more time to mess with the rest. I think you'll like it.
  • chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,427 Thanks
  • 5,829 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 12:03 PM

ZTR mowers are nice - but they do have their draw backs.  Not all but most will start to leave a ring around the trees and shrubs from that inside wheel pivoting.  After a dozen mowings it is very evident and the rings will be dirt with no grass.  Just got rid of a JD F525, not a true ZT but close enough, for that reason.  The bigger the tire the more prominent the scuffing effect on the ground.  Why most will do that but some don't I do not know.  Like WrenchingOnIt said, it will speed up your mowing time - until the dirt rings start to show up and you will be back to cross cutting like you do with a GT.  Don't know how your CC will do in that respect but keep an eye on it so you try to compensate to reduce the tell tail ring.

Edited by chieffan, June 10, 2017 - 12:05 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,157 Thanks
  • 7,588 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 03:04 PM

Those rings in your yard are from Aliens!  That's first I've heard that complaint!   I keep hearing not good on slopes or ditches and when hitting wet spot with ONE wheel, other just drives you right into the wet spot even deeper??  Sounds possible, just have no proof.

• chieffan said thank you

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,427 Thanks
  • 5,829 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 04:01 PM

My first ZTR was a Dixon 36" cone drive.  A beast to run and it started the ring effect.  Next came an Ariens 42".  I too made the rings but not as bad.  Then the JD F525 48" Tri-cycle.  It was the worst for tearing up the ground.  None of them were worth a darn on sloops or damp or wet ground.  Just no traction except dry level going.  Now using the Cub 1512 with a 50" deck.  Rings are gone now.  GF has an 1811 42" she uses in the front around a lot of the bushes, her flower areas etc.  Then she come behind me and cross cuts the trees etc. Works out good, neither have an traction problems, no extra weight or fluid.  Couple places where I have to turn up hill I have to raise the deck a bit to keep the inside wheel from slipping. 

I think the problem with the JD is that there is no individual control over the hydro's so they both want to drive.  Ariens had to wide a wheel stance to get close to smaller trees, etc.  Back wheel would get into the tree before I got clear around.  Needed a bigger deck or narrower tires I think. 
The Dixon, well it was a Dixon cone drive and won't say any more.

• Cvans said thank you

#7 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,081 Thanks
  • 1,599 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 04:23 PM

What are trying to accomplish by putting on larger tires?

Raise the mowing height some mainly. Smoother ride. I understand I'd have to raise the front also. Just a thought for improvement. I have no intentions on using or even thinking this is a GT. I can pick half of it up. I have GT's with more ballast than what this thing weighs. Always looking to improve.

Eric

#8 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 05:47 PM

My Dixon is a cone drive and the best gift I ever got was from Walt2002 on MTF. He E-mailed me complete directions on how to adjust and maintain the tranny and it has been a blessing. He worked for a Dixon dealer for a number of years and also told me to make about 2 rounds around the area to be mowed and then go back and forth on it so the clutches wear evenly. Yes, mine is no fun on a hillside and I only have on small slope equal to one pass on my front yard. I go across it and use a little forward on the downhill clutch and a little reverse on the uphill clutch. I wound up with the Dixon because a friend bought it and his entire yard is a hillside, so needless to say he was awfully frustrated!! I traded him my JD 314 which I didn't really care for so we're both happy.

Mike

• KennyP said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,261 Thanks
  • 43,390 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 05:51 PM

My Dixon is a cone drive and the best gift I ever got was from Walt2002 on MTF. He E-mailed me complete directions on how to adjust and maintain the tranny and it has been a blessing. He worked for a Dixon dealer for a number of years and also told me to make about 2 rounds around the area to be mowed and then go back and forth on it so the clutches wear evenly. Yes, mine is no fun on a hillside and I only have on small slope equal to one pass on my front yard. I go across it and use a little forward on the downhill clutch and a little reverse on the uphill clutch. I wound up with the Dixon because a friend bought it and his entire yard is a hillside, so needless to say he was awfully frustrated!! I traded him my JD 314 which I didn't really care for so we're both happy.

Mike

I have one of those that has not been adjusted nor maintained! I'm about ready to scrap it!

#10 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 10:32 PM

Kenny, if you think you want to keep and use it I'll see if I can scan the instructions and E-mail them to you.

Mike

• KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,261 Thanks
  • 43,390 posts

Posted June 11, 2017 - 04:17 AM

It runs great and the deck sounds good. Just does not steer worth a darn.

#12 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted June 11, 2017 - 06:15 AM

It runs great and the deck sounds good. Just does not steer worth a darn.

If the front tires are a little too soft it makes turning a little more difficult.

Mike

• KennyP said thank you

#13 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,590 Thanks
  • 4,298 posts

Posted June 11, 2017 - 09:47 AM

I've been mowing with my Simplicity design from the 90's, MTD built Craftsman, ZTR for 12 years, had the old Simplicity hand crank deck adjustment. I mow over and around my septic mound, ditch banks and what not, it doesn't slip any worse than my tractor. If a ZTR starts to tip on a grade, just turn downhill and you're good to go, if a tractor starts to tip you'd better be ready to abandon ship. They aren't perfect, but they beat tractors all day for lawn mowing.

#14 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 733 Thanks
  • 605 posts

Posted June 11, 2017 - 11:17 AM

Those rings in your yard are from Aliens!  That's first I've heard that complaint!   I keep hearing not good on slopes or ditches and when hitting wet spot with ONE wheel, other just drives you right into the wet spot even deeper??  Sounds possible, just have no proof.

I have wet spots in my yard every spring and when you get one wheel slipping the other just drives in to where I have to get the tractor to pull it out. This year I bought a set of AGs and haven't gotten stuck since. The ground seems to be solid enough now that I will put the turfs back on for a smother ride.

I do have rings around my trees but if the mower doesn't make them round up will. And on certain corners you can get holes from turning.

• toppop52 said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 34,261 Thanks
  • 43,390 posts

Posted June 11, 2017 - 03:23 PM

If the front tires are a little too soft it makes turning a little more difficult.

Mike

Shortest I can turn it is a 6' radius with the inside tire sliding.

• dropped82 said thank you