• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 philly OFFLINE  

philly
  • Member No: 87235
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 09, 2017 - 11:25 PM

I i have an igition coil needed for a 1965 sears suburban with the HH120 tecumseh engine with points . i need a part number for this coil or a coil or advice on how to update to solid state

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0885.JPG
  • IMG_0886.JPG

• chieffan said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,650 Thanks
  • 8,602 posts

Posted June 09, 2017 - 11:46 PM

Check our Manuals Section and with our sponsors. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 1,095 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 05:41 AM

You can put a 12v coil on it like a kohler has , just an option

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,955 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 06:38 AM

This is a viable option IMHO. Just remember that your OEM keyswitch won't work with a powered coil ignition. You'll need to replace it with one designed for power.
  • chieffan and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#5 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 187 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 04:39 PM

OK hold on Tecumseh, are you saying to use the points and just change to a new coil and condenser similar to what a car runs on? I mean used to run on, now they are all electronic. I never thought about it before and I guess the timing is set by points so really just the coil is an upgrade. Now you got my wheels turning because I got a real hard starter and have been wondering if I got a hot enough spark. This could be the answer. :thumbs: 

#6 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 1,095 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 10:48 PM

OK hold on Tecumseh, are you saying to use the points and just change to a new coil and condenser similar to what a car runs on? I mean used to run on, now they are all electronic. I never thought about it before and I guess the timing is set by points so really just the coil is an upgrade. Now you got my wheels turning because I got a real hard starter and have been wondering if I got a hot enough spark. This could be the answer. :thumbs:

Yes you can do that leave the starter gen on to charge the battery. Use a 12v coil like a car or kohler has . Change key switch to send power to coil when on. I did a Briggs like that on an old mtd 760. The coil went bad on
  • MH81 said thank you

#7 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 187 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 06:39 PM

I just got in from a long work day however I have located a couple coils left from my motor cycle stuff. They are perfect 12V coils and will work great for this I'm sure. I'm going to try this out on the weekend and see how it goes. I'll take some pictures to post the experiment.

• Cvans said thank you

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 29,955 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 03:46 AM

You might want to incorporate a dropping resistor (like from the old dodge cars) to extend points life. Also, you'll need a condenser. I think there was one in there with the old magneto?

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,932 Thanks
  • 2,559 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 09:14 PM

You might want to incorporate a dropping resistor (like from the old dodge cars) to extend points life. Also, you'll need a condenser. I think there was one in there with the old magneto?

that depends on the coil, some have the resistor built in. IIRC the number is something like 3 ohms, if you have that across the + and - "small" terminals on the coil then it is built in.... I just got 2 new 12V coils via Feebay  (they are clones of the old Bosch Blue coil that the pullers like to use) and they both say right on them "External resistor not required" 

• MH81 said thank you

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,932 Thanks
  • 2,559 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 09:24 PM

and on the condenser.... there is a difference between one for a battery powered coil like many Kohlers had/ and a condenser for a magneto ignition. I have 7 or 8 brand new Kohler ones meant for a magneto ignition, I'll probably keep 1 or 2 but I'd trade someone the rest of them even up for the same number of them for battery ignition....  you should be able to go get one for an old Dodge or Ford car and be fine with it.... not sure if the mag condenser is "weaker" or "stronger" than one for a battery ignition... a condenser is like a shock absorber, it holds the stray charge to keep the points from arcing as they open.

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 29,955 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 20, 2017 - 09:24 PM

that depends on the coil, some have the resistor built in. IIRC the number is something like 3 ohms, if you have that across the + and - "small" terminals on the coil then it is built in.... I just got 2 new 12V coils via Feebay  (they are clones of the old Bosch Blue coil that the pullers like to use) and they both say right on them "External resistor not required" 

Excellent Point.

I was mentally working with the old fashioned "Tractor Coil"