• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,882 Thanks
  • 2,491 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 10:07 PM

got some questions on an engine that I recently picked up at a garage sale.

It is a K301, recoil start, magneto (under flywheel) coil, huge (2 gallon?) steel gas tank, Walbro carb,

appears to have been short blocked--block looks like standard "Kohler gray"... sheet metal is a real dark blue, judging by some of the fasteners for the sheet metal (isn't stock) and it runs great except at hi speed, I think that the 3/16" copper flared fuel line is a little on the skinny side... and the carb needs cleaned out from sitting. which it looks like has been happening for a LONG time.

and it has the regular stamped steel ID plate plus a foil sticker on the shroud right beneath it....

It has the standard wide Kohler oil pan on it. it would work on my Ariens machines as is (except for swapping out the recoil for electric start along with flywheel--- and stator for charging)

How universal were the short blocks?  Trav1s had a thread on here a while ago that showed 3 block designs; std wide base, narrow base (Cub, Deere style) and a "hybrid" that had both patterns drilled into the block. Without pulling the existing pan, any chance of knowing "by the numbers" how a given short block was built?

I know that engines with a spec # that ends in "D" have the larger exhaust valve, any way to tell by these numbers (again w/o pulling the head) if this short block might have the bigger exh valve?

My guess that the original block had the "small" valve with that "B" suffix...

numbers on stamped metal tag;

K301T  47140B    Serial C6164550

numbers on foil tag; (no model listed)  Spec C-236644  Serial   15251 (next 4 numbers after that hard to read,  almost faded out)

is there anything to be gained by, or any way to "decode" these numbers?

depending on what I find out about this engine, to determine whether this engine is a "keeper" for a spare on the shelf, or whether I will pass it along.... I bought this engine with an idea for a repower on a particular machine that I have but as it sits, it will not fit my Cub....

judging by the 3 groove, for 3/8" belts, and the magneto ignition and pull start,  my guess is that it may have been on a concrete tamper or concrete saw.

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,914 Thanks
  • 4,074 posts

Posted June 09, 2017 - 06:37 AM

Interesting find. I wonder of Bolens 1000 can help figure this out.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 drbish OFFLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,464 Thanks
  • 1,295 posts

Posted June 09, 2017 - 07:20 AM

check this out for your info as to who it was used by
https://www.jackssma...pecs-4710-47835