• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,565 Thanks
  • 841 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 06:30 PM

The lugs on my rear ag tires are about 6/10" tall.

When I plowed up the 60 year old lawn (sandy soil) for a garden the tractor and plow worked very well.  At a recent plow day they started me in a deer food plot that was sandy and rocky and my rig worked fairly well.

I started to have trouble when I got into the big field.  They're a dairy and spread the manure.  Not much sign of manure but when my high tire hit a clump of straw it would break loose.  After the straw cleared the tire would dig a hole rather than grabbing and pushing forward.

"Modern" 8-16 R1 tires have a 1" tall lug.  I'm wondering if the taller lug would bite through the trash and keep things going.  I don't want to lay out $250 for a pair of tires if it's not going to help.

Thoughts?

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 685 Thanks
  • 711 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 07:03 PM

Was it just your tractor doing or was others having same problem? If not whats different on theirs maybe more weight on high side. I assume when you hit the straw slime it was spinning so fast when made contact with the dirt dug hole. Not sure deeper lugs would help. I'd say more weight on high side. It's not so much traction problem as it is loss of traction from the straw slime.

• KennyP said thank you

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,003 Thanks
  • 2,748 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 07:27 PM

Put more weight on the top tire than the 1 in the furrow. Don't be afraid to put chains on your AG tires. Chains help quite a bit even with AG tires. I was surprised how good Turf tires and a good set of chains does. Chains don't clog up like tires do.

You can make yourself some weights Cheap enough. Either search craigslist for weight lifting weights or make a set out of 2 bags of concrete and some 3/4" all thread,a 5 gallon bucket and a garbage bag. 25lb Iron barbell weights fit in 12" GT wheels. Just drill 4 holes and bolt them on. Might have to sawzall a notch out for the valve stem if your stems are on the outside.

I have 3 sets of 25lb weights and 1 set of 35lb sears cast iron weights. 2 sets are just drilled iron barbell weights and 1 set is off of an old 1940s walk behind tractor.  

• KennyP said thank you

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,750 Thanks
  • 2,936 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 08:21 PM

From my experience , you need more weight on the uphill wheel .  Pay attention to tire pressures also , over inflated tires do not have good traction.  

I would also check rear wheel spacing .  The  inside sidewall should be the same distance apart both front and rear.  A wide rear stance will minimize tilt and weight transfer to the low wheel.

• KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#5 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,932 Thanks
  • 5,434 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 08:26 PM

Weight is the answer, even turf tires with enough weight on them will pull the plow. 

Tractor in picture has 240 lbs of batteries under the seat.

007.JPG

• KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#6 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,384 Thanks
  • 3,657 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 08:48 PM

Lower your tire pressure about 4 psi on the high side tire.

Noel.

#7 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 1,991 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 09:39 PM

What weight do you have?

My Case 444 and my previous 442 both ran same size tire as your speedex. 8-16 r1 and only had fluid in the tires. They hold 10 gallons each which equates to heavy! I never ran other weights except for the front weights to keep my steering. I have never really had a traction problem whether pulling a 10 or a 12. How well the plow is pulling has a lot to do with it also. Setup correctly, should pull fairly easily to the tractor. My tires probably had at least 1" deep bars also. I would think as long as they don't pack with dirt, they should be fine.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#8 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,565 Thanks
  • 841 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 06:44 AM

Was it just your tractor doing or was others having same problem? If not whats different on theirs maybe more weight on high side.

Mine was by far the smallest tractor.  The next one was an Allis B that had weight hung on it just about every way imaginable.  He was pulling a single 16" trailer plow.

This past weekend I had a conversation with one of the guys that was plowing with a large Deere farm tractor.  He said he was slipping on the straw too but after it cleared the tire would grab and he'd get moving again.

Lower your tire pressure about 4 psi on the high side tire.

Noel.

That would be the cheapest/easiest fix.  Currently have 10psi all around.

What weight do you have?

My Case 444 and my previous 442 both ran same size tire as your speedex. 8-16 r1 and only had fluid in the tires. They hold 10 gallons each which equates to heavy! I never ran other weights except for the front weights to keep my steering. I have never really had a traction problem whether pulling a 10 or a 12. How well the plow is pulling has a lot to do with it also. Setup correctly, should pull fairly easily to the tractor. My tires probably had at least 1" deep bars also. I would think as long as they don't pack with dirt, they should be fine.

Eric

I have a 40lb. weight inside each wheel.  I weighed at the pull this weekend and with me on the tractor it was 1198 lbs.  When working with it I hang another weight on the front that weighs about 40lbs.

It's a 12" plow and I'm not sure I had it dialed in.  I was working with the adjustments and it seemed to be getting better until I ran into a different problem.  I tried plowing in 2nd. gear and stalled it on a restart after clearing trash.

After the stall it acted fuel starved.  It had no power and would die if I throttled it up.  I limped it onto the trailer and called it a day.  Once it cooled down it was and has been just fine.

I'm thinking I got it pretty hot plowing at lower RPM and a higher gear, then idling while I cleared the plow I got some vapor lock. The carburetor on that Vanguard sits between the cylinders and the fuel pump sits on top of the rear head. It's possible the fuel pump isn't quite up to snuff too.

I'm figuring on your 444 and 442 you had about 85 lbs. in each tire.  Figure 770 lbs. tractor (Case 444 per tractordata) + 170 fluid + 250 fat driver = 1190 lbs.  Pretty much where I was with the Speedex.  The Speedex ends up weighted to the high side because the bull gear is all the way against the left wheel, so that should work in my favor.

Sounds like weight probably isn't my problem.  Next time out I think I'll drop the pressure in the high side tire and move the plow an inch to the right.  I set the plow up with the tractor on blocks and got the tail of the share in line with the rear wheel but things may flex enough under load that I might be taking just a little too much bite.

Edited by MiCarl, June 07, 2017 - 07:01 AM.

• dropped82 and propane1 have said thanks

#9 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 967 Thanks
  • 503 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 07:01 AM

I run Carlisle Tru powers filled with washer fluid on my Cub and it's a tank at plow days. I don't ever get stuck but I see plenty of guys with wheel weights sticking a foot out of the rim getting stuck all the time.
  • MiCarl said thank you

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 7,801 Thanks
  • 5,494 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 07:16 AM

Throttling down a working engine is asking for trouble.  Air cooled engines need air to cool.  To get that air they have to have the fan on the flywheel spinning.  Run it wide open when working.  Said this before, some agree, some don't.  You proved it don't work to throttle them down when working.  Got lucky this time.

• MiCarl said thank you

#11 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,565 Thanks
  • 841 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 12:05 PM

Throttling down a working engine is asking for trouble.  Air cooled engines need air to cool.  To get that air they have to have the fan on the flywheel spinning.  Run it wide open when working.  Said this before, some agree, some don't.  You proved it don't work to throttle them down when working.  Got lucky this time.

Yes, I agree.  I've posted that before regarding mowing.  I didn't realize how hard I was working it.

#12 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

• Member No: 6766
  • 44 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 08:22 PM

washer fluid can add a lot of weight, and right where you need it