24 replies to this topic

#16 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,606 Thanks
  • 5,519 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 08:58 AM

Not sure of your throttle linkages, That looks to be a Sears motor, they pulled from the other side/sideways instead of up like you have yours set up.

Here is some pictures of what you are dealing with in regards to your oil leak, kind of in removal order. I agree, sounds like one of the O rings on the push rod tubes is shot, this can be an ordeal replacing them as the entire rocker box has to be remove, including the valve springs and rockers.

oh 160 rockers.jpg

oh 160 rockers 1.jpg

oh 160 rockers 2.jpg

oh 160 valve spring.jpg

oh 160 push rod tubes.jpg

• glgrumpy and Doug E. have said thanks

#17 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,140 Thanks
  • 7,580 posts

Posted June 13, 2017 - 06:27 PM

Yeah, looks like pain to see/fix.  If I do, can do in tractor then?  Looks like could.  This was gonna be a keeper, then ran into these things that turned me off, now not sure. Glad I can make a decision and stick to it, ha!  Still gotta wire up the dash ans switch some, BUY a battery and cables (More money in it) and should be painted to be nice, but not sure I'm up to that at this time. Taking a break, Sun Star time again now.  Even tinkered some more on the PK I got from Tahoe. That stopped last fall also when got cold. Have to make up a better dash, one I had is that breakable plastic and I broke it right in half messing with it, sheesh! Thinking of making it MM look in metal hood and such, so might try metal dash too.

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,606 Thanks
  • 5,519 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 07:10 AM

Those pics are when I did mine in my sears, not hard, just a pain. I had to make my valve tool in order to remove the little half moon keepers. It does suck you have to remove the valve springs/rocker just to get the rocker box off, decent design on one side, a pain in the butt design to work on from the other side.  If you decide to do it you will need the 4 push rod tube O rings, the 3 O rings under the rocker box bolts  and the 2 new valve seal O rings under the valves, 1 is white, the other is orange.

• Sawdust said thank you

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 08:50 AM

The Tecumseh motors are not too bad to work on you just need the right tools for the job.

I still stock the OHV valve compressor tool along with the gasket/ o-ring kits

If you need the service repair manual I have those too

• MH81 said thank you

#20 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,315 Thanks
  • 3,241 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 12:24 PM

GL here are a few pics of my H16. It looks like if you make a few changes in the holes on your linkage it might help. Hope this helps.

20170614_105104.jpg 20170614_105129.jpg 20170614_105109.jpg 20170614_105119.jpg

Sorry about the crooked pics. Ever since my computer went to Windows 10 I have had this problem. They look good in my files but come out crooked when I post them.

• glgrumpy said thank you

#21 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,140 Thanks
  • 7,580 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 02:10 PM

Sawdust, looks like that little mount arm I have up high, must go down low somewhere?  Makes more sense to be closer to linkage, less movement. Can't see where the end of that bracket bolts to on engine in pix.  It just looked natural where I had on mine, the end was bent correct angle.  Choke part looks like is same, once I get the shield back on. Want to put the batt box bottom back in and that shield, but for now have to do lots of things there and would be in way. Thanks!

#22 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,315 Thanks
  • 3,241 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 03:14 PM

Sawdust, looks like that little mount arm I have up high, must go down low somewhere?  Makes more sense to be closer to linkage, less movement. Can't see where the end of that bracket bolts to on engine in pix.  It just looked natural where I had on mine, the end was bent correct angle.  Choke part looks like is same, once I get the shield back on. Want to put the batt box bottom back in and that shield, but for now have to do lots of things there and would be in way. Thanks!

What bracket are you talking about. I can go get a few more pics. I hate these pics...get dizzy trying to see my own pics.

#23 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,140 Thanks
  • 7,580 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 06:02 PM

Here's what is my currect problem. I see yours at cable. Cable clamp then mounts to a 90* metal mount. From there it goes onto a fairly long, say 6" metal bracket, reaching back into the engine/pto area and goes to WHERE on engine??? I have about a 45* bend on one end, and out at cable is about a 30* bend where the 90 mounts on. COULD have this backwards, but that is how I found it in my box of parts from tear-down. I now have cable going down thru that shield tin thru a hole in it, like yours. I'm gonna see about saving one of your pictures and printing it and taking out to garage now. 

I had the Darn thing running little while ago, trying to get the key switch to work, but now has no spark!  Wonder if I did wiring wrong ???? Tired of it. Putting it back together much as I can and selling it as is, I'm done with it.  Never should have put another Tec engine in it and gone Briggs like I was going to.  What-ever!

Wait! Wait! NOW I see in your pix, that the 90* part is secured to the shield tin, NOT on any other bracket!  Think I did see small hole near there on the shield, so going out to look again and maybe eliminate the other part I have.  Missed that!

Edited by glgrumpy, June 14, 2017 - 06:05 PM.

#24 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,140 Thanks
  • 7,580 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 07:03 PM

Whoopee! Bracket wise! Mounted like in pix here and it works great! Just what it needs. Not sure what this other part was then in the pix, took that away and was fine! Thank you for pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170614_192849.jpg
  • 20170614_190650.jpg
  • 20170614_190645.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, June 14, 2017 - 07:05 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,917 Thanks
  • 29,739 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 06:09 AM

Whoopee! Bracket wise! Mounted like in pix here and it works great! Just what it needs. Not sure what this other part was then in the pix, took that away and was fine! Thank you for pictures.

Glad you're making headway.
Oh, that bar... it's called a dafrikzitdo. Most tractors have one, somewhere most get removed eventually.