• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,448 Thanks
  • 44,935 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 05:21 PM

I have seen enough pics of the HF lifts and others to make me 'build' my own. Yeah, I'm a cheap old fart! But I want something with access to the center of the tractor. I'm nearly 70 years young, don't' need the excess crap they sell. Plus, I'm bored! So today I salvaged some 3/16" X 1-1/2" angle and went to work. Checked all the tractors on the property and found a good set of dimensions. I need to be able to pick up anything with a tread width from 19" to 46". That handles most LT's up to the FF/20's.

I have a HF 1000 lbs lift that I modified for a small cherry picker. That's the lift mechanism. I cut the metal to the right lengths and made a cradle for the tires to set in.

DSCN2917.JPG    DSCN2918.JPG

DSCN2919.JPG

Got to dig out the Hoist and go from there. Stay tuned!

• olcowhand, MH81, hamman and 14 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,279 Thanks
  • 2,809 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 06:12 PM

Looks great. Make sure you make measurements so when you are done we can buy the plans to make ours. I agree I'm nearing the 7 stage of my life also and it gets harder every time I want to work on or service a GT.                                                                                                                               Roger

• KennyP, Cvans, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks

#3 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,689 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 10:31 PM

I'll like to see the finished project, Kenny. I made something similar to attach to my lift table to drive the front wheels of my Toro rider or my wheeler onto to lift the front ends. If I need both ends off the floor I jack up the back end with the floor jack first and slip milk crates under the rear tires. I provided motorcycle tie downs to strap the tires down in the cradles. To lift my Dixon I bolt a chain hook to the end of the table and use a short chain to lift either end of the Dixon since it has no oscillating front axle.

Mike

• hamman, KennyP, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,448 Thanks
  • 44,935 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 05:22 AM

Looks great. Make sure you make measurements so when you are done we can buy the plans to make ours. I agree I'm nearing the 7 stage of my life also and it gets harder every time I want to work on or service a GT.                                                                                                                               Roger

Here's the cradle!

ScreenShot131.jpg

I used 3/16" X 1.5" angle iron. You'll need:

4 each 14" long

4 each 15" long

2 each 18" long

I welded the 18" pieces in from the edge about 1/8" so I would get a better bead to hold them. I will make 8 legs around 4.5" long to allow the hoist to roll under it. That means some type of ramp will be needed, but I don't want to attach it to the cradle. Just be in the way when it's lifted. Stay tuned.

• olcowhand, MH81, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,448 Thanks
  • 44,935 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 05:26 AM

I'll like to see the finished project, Kenny. I made something similar to attach to my lift table to drive the front wheels of my Toro rider or my wheeler onto to lift the front ends. If I need both ends off the floor I jack up the back end with the floor jack first and slip milk crates under the rear tires. I provided motorcycle tie downs to strap the tires down in the cradles. To lift my Dixon I bolt a chain hook to the end of the table and use a short chain to lift either end of the Dixon since it has no oscillating front axle.

Mike

I have some stands I made up for that purpose. Once I get this done, I'll set an FF up to see what room I have to work under there with.

• hamman, ol' stonebreaker and chieffan have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,448 Thanks
  • 44,935 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 06:20 AM

Here's the Hoist I will use for this. And a link to the thread.

Image001.jpg

• hamman, MFDAC, ol' stonebreaker and 2 others have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,124 Thanks
  • 6,232 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 07:31 AM

Your on the right track with have an open or removable center section.  That is the way I built my wood work table.  Ramp the equipment up on the table with an electric winch.  Put the ramp up out of the way, block the wheels with angle iron. and go to work.  Easy access all around and under the center with 4 removable planks.  Hardest part is ducking under the 2X6 side to get into the open area.  Main thing is be sure it is wide enough so it is stable with a tractor up on it.

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,448 Thanks
  • 44,935 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 05:08 PM

Got it done today! First off was cutting the legs. Then the feet for those so they don't sink into the ground. (Most everything done here is outside on the gravel). Used the band saw and a stop so they would match pretty close.

DSCN2922.JPG

Here's the lift!

DSCN2923.JPG

Cleaned the legs for welding and fixed a jig to weld the feet on with.

DSCN2924.JPG     DSCN2925.JPG

Legs and side chains welded on.

DSCN2926.JPG

Here's the upper spreader pipe! It's 2.5" OD. Does the trick. Made a slot for the attachment piece.

DSCN2927.JPG     DSCN2928.JPG

All together and ready. Made some ramps out of lumber.

DSCN2929.JPG

Here's the FF/20 with the front wheels 19" in the air! Plenty of room under it!

DSCN2930.JPG     DSCN2931.JPG

May want to shorten the lift back a notch for heavy tractors. Had it out to the 600 lb. hole and was a bit hard to jack it up!

DSCN2932.JPG

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 9 others have said thanks

#9 Cub 1650 OFFLINE  

Cub 1650

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 975
  • 174 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 05:18 PM

Looks good Kenny.

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,281 Thanks
  • 5,985 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 07:06 PM

I was wondering how I was going to pick up the new Simplicity with the ceiling hoist when there is no frame extending beyond the hood. You just came up with a really nice solution.  :thumbs:

Thanks for the idea and nice work on yours!!!!!!

Time to start digging in the Iron pile.  :D

• hamman, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 06:19 AM

Nice job Kenny.

#12 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 507 Thanks
  • 329 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 03:04 PM

Very good idea but I have two questions. Will it work with a mower deck on the tractor? Anyway to secure it when it is in the air? Working under anything that is being supported by a jack even hydraulic is usually consider a good idea. Maybe something made with longer pipe to support it when it is in the air. I thought of something I made many years ago that might help. I will get one out & takes some pictures.

Charlie

• KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 36,448 Thanks
  • 44,935 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 06:16 PM

Very good idea but I have two questions. Will it work with a mower deck on the tractor? Anyway to secure it when it is in the air? Working under anything that is being supported by a jack even hydraulic is usually consider a good idea. Maybe something made with longer pipe to support it when it is in the air. I thought of something I made many years ago that might help. I will get one out & takes some pictures.

Charlie

If I am going to be under it, it will be set down on something solid!

As far as a deck if it won't interfere with the ires setting the cradle, then it should work.

• MFDAC and FixItCharlie have said thanks

#14 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 507 Thanks
  • 329 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 10:47 PM

This is what I thought about in my other post that I thought you might find interesting. I made a pair of them when I was working on a truck that I wanted support by the frame rails.

SUNP0002.JPG

SUNP0005.JPG

The lug nuts that are sitting on top of the stand are used to mount it to the rim. These are very stabile stands. 

Charlie

• Alc, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#15 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,972 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted June 09, 2017 - 05:13 AM

Neat idea Kenny. I usually end up throwing a rope over a truss in the shed for my lift.