7 replies to this topic

#1 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,093 Thanks
  • 1,018 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 11:37 AM

Is there any sort of replacement carb for the Marvel  Schebler VH 12 on a Wisconsin AKS? This is on a ridemaster. I think the original carb was worked on and has loose butterfly throttle and a few other issues.  It had a valve job prior and has not been run much since. The engine surges and after fires out the exhaust. The mag gives great spark when turned slowly by hand. I adjusted the governor per the book but there's a little slop in the linkage in on the carb. If I hold the linkage steady it stops surging but still after fires and quite often stalls. Its getting plenty of fuel. I'm not sure what's going on and may need to eliminate issues one at a time to get it running smoothly. I thought intermittent spark for the after firing but the mag seems good unless it's breaking down at engine speed. I'll be pulling the engine to check the mag to engine timing via the timing window behind the flywheel shroud.

I see they have the mag, cover, points, condenser, plug and wire on ebay if it ends up being something mag or electrical related. 

Any ideas or thoughts is appreciated.

Edited by Husky, June 06, 2017 - 11:52 AM.

• wilberj said thank you

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,365 Thanks
  • 5,788 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 11:54 AM

I think there was a article on here about repairing a throttle shaft using a spent .22 cal rifle shell.  I did this on OH160 Tech engine and it worked out good.  Takes some fiddling to get everything working good but cheap effective fix.

• Husky, Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,727 Thanks
  • 5,463 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 04:25 PM

Those carbs always have problems. I would suggest keeping a eye out for NOS carb for it.  That is what I have done I have NOS carbs on most my ridemasters they run great when the carb is not worn out.  

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Oh, shoot!!!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,788 Thanks
  • 8,917 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 04:35 PM

Bolens 1000 maybe be a help for that.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,218 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 04:50 PM

Unfortunately the "pot metal" like material they used to make these VH series carbs was very poor in quality probably why wisconsin later switched to mainly zenith on their engines.

Another option for this motor was a Zenith L51E  (11193 / 11023)

I can check with zenith tomorrow if they still have these new they would look like this:

s-l500.jpg

Only concern that may arise is the air cleaner bracket may have a different ID

• Alc and LilysDad have said thanks

#6 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,093 Thanks
  • 1,018 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 07:28 AM

Hi guys thank you for all your replies I appreciate it. It looks like there may be a few options for me if I can't figure it out. 

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,308 Thanks
  • 7,149 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 07:46 AM

I would assume that if the problem is with a sloppy throttle shaft it's sucking air around it ? During troubleshooting would putting grease around the outside of the shaft seal it long enough to determine if that's the cause ?

• Husky said thank you

#8 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 1,093 Thanks
  • 1,018 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 07:59 AM

Alc that's a good idea. I tried squirting some carb cleaner around it looking for a change in rpm. I'll include the grease test next time I work on this. It could be a number of things, mag breaking down at engine speed, various carb issues, mag to engine timing etc..... Ruling out the carb would be a nice start.