• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Macgyver OFFLINE  

Macgyver

• Member No: 7014
  • 31 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 09:11 PM

I'm not familiar with the Kohler engines and am wondering if it charges from a stator only or if it has a voltage regulator too. The volt meter will not go past 10 volts.

#2 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 538 Thanks
  • 489 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 04:34 AM

First off don't trust the voltmeter. Check the voltage across the battery posts not running and then running. An increase in voltage means it is charging at least some.

The 1986 models used a K-301 Kohler engine with a 3 amp rectified but not regulated charging system to charge the battery. These models have the lights powered by a 2nd stator winding producing AC current only so lights only work with the engine running and the faster it runs the brighter the lights.

The 1987 models used a M12 Kohler engine with 15 amp regulated charging system and the lights will run off the battery.

Let us know which one you have and will dig up the appropriate wiring diagram. Tractor model number or engine numbers will do it also.

Garry

• Alc and Macgyver have said thanks

#3 Macgyver OFFLINE  

Macgyver

• Member No: 7014
  • 31 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the tip on where to start, Ill check it out this weekend and let you know what i have. the reason I think its not charging is the battery I bought last summer will not start it now without charging it first. Maybe the battery failed?