19 replies to this topic

#16 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,709 Thanks
  • 2,597 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 07:59 PM

Sounds like you already have your method of removal picked, but if you are still open to suggestions, here is mine. I use 1500 wet/dry sandpaper like suggested above, however I use WD-40 instead of water. I've used this method numerous times with great results in removing paint from original decals. The WD-40 will act like a lubricant and won't allow the sandpaper to cut too fast. The WD-40 will also aid in softening the rattle can paint but won't destroy your original paint underneath. Good Luck to you and don't forget to keep us updated on your results. 

• TomLGT195 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#17 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,501 Thanks
  • 923 posts

Posted June 07, 2017 - 09:00 PM

Sounds like you already have your method of removal picked, but if you are still open to suggestions, here is mine. I use 1500 wet/dry sandpaper like suggested above, however I use WD-40 instead of water. I've used this method numerous times with great results in removing paint from original decals. The WD-40 will act like a lubricant and won't allow the sandpaper to cut too fast. The WD-40 will also aid in softening the rattle can paint but won't destroy your original paint underneath. Good Luck to you and don't forget to keep us updated on your results. 

I'll give that a try as well.  It can't hurt!

#18 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,958 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 04:56 AM

I'll give that a try as well. It can't hurt!

I would not recommend this if you plan to repaint it someday, you will have more fish eyes than you can imagine
  • Sawdust and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#19 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,501 Thanks
  • 923 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 10:08 AM

I would not recommend this if you plan to repaint it someday, you will have more fish eyes than you can imagine

Wow! Thanks for the warning!

I take it you found this out the hard way?

#20 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,958 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 10:47 AM

Wow! Thanks for the warning!
I take it you found this out the hard way?

no, i worked, summers at body shop years ago, was drilled in our heads how much oil/silicon sprays would ruin your day
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paint, removal, acetone, lacquer, thinner