• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1010Deere OFFLINE  

1010Deere
  • Member No: 49656
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 10:33 AM

Trouble with my Power King's K361 running right, spews some gas out the carb, and having enough power.

Sometime the engine runs ok but never to level that I think this engine should. Since so many of the engine parts seem to be the same, is it possible to convert this engine to one of the less troublesome flathead K341/K321 or is it more trouble than what it's worth?

The head parts are what are hard to find on this engine but not the lower half, and if I will have a less reliable engine than the K341 or K321 I would just as soon bite the bullet now!

Any suggestions?

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,504 Thanks
  • 7,856 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 02:58 PM

Don't think change ce of convert, but plenty of K e vines will interchange. K241 is most durable. I have put in 16 single in past.Join PK forum on facebook, lots of parts guys there.

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 620 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 03:38 PM

I have an Ariens GT18 with a K361 in it.  It was running just like yours.  It had a hole in the float in the carb.  The float was gas-logged and wasn't doing it's job.  I replaced the float and she ran like a champ.  Still does to this day.  I mow with it every week.  If the rest of the engine is still good, I would check the little things before looking into a re-power.  The K361 is a good engine if you keep it clean and keep your revs up to keep it cool.  I've seen plenty of them with grass-filled fins on the heads.  They usually end up dropping a valve seat.

Edited by Billy M, June 05, 2017 - 03:40 PM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,634 Thanks
  • 9,446 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 05:18 PM

Don't think change ce of convert, but plenty of K e vines will interchange. K241 is most durable. I have put in 16 single in past.Join PK forum on facebook, lots of parts guys there.

This is not English GL. I can't read it.

I would do a more thorough job of troubleshooting your engine first. As Billy M implies, it doesn't take much to make an engine run bad. Lots of folks on here are happy to help.

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,837 Thanks
  • 1,281 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 06:09 PM

Hi 1010deere, no it can not be converted to a 321 or 341 there are few if any parts that are the same, I have a K361 in my 84 PK it is a very nice running engine but every year (in the fall) I remove the cooling tins and clean the cooling fins check the headbolt torque and must sure the cylinder head is clean no built up crude on the head.

Your problem could very well be the carb one easy thing to check and causing a lot of run problems is the carb throttle shaft to check it just grab it at the top (with engine off) and wiggle it if it more at all its leaking air this causes erratic engine running. No one is mfg aftermarket  carbs for the k361, but there are throttle shaft bushings and a new throttle shaft available. It sounds like the carb needs a complete rebuilt and not a needle seat and gaskets.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,504 Thanks
  • 7,856 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 08:05 PM

Lily's Dad.  Wrote that on my phone, just getting up, AND, that is NOT what it said when I hit send!  Darn phone always make diff words for you, plus guess missed couple of letters there and .......it goes on and on.  There, said my rant, now quit picking on me.  Just wanted to tell guy, get another K engine, they are all over and the PK group on Facebook is just full of guys parting these things all the time and have what he wants. :shoot3:

• dodge trucker and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#7 Beef ONLINE  

Beef
  • Member No: 89116
  • 3 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:38 PM

What MNGB said is true I had headaches with my K361 running like poop. I took it to a shop,no help. Installed a new carb,something.

lived with it for years ,couldn't adjust the carb . Then I found a guy down the road that worked on all types of engines. He said he could fix it and by GOD he did. Throttle shaft bushing was sucking air. He repaired and replaced the bushing and it NEVER ran so good. Stick with the K361 it is a sweet motor. 

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#8 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,319 Thanks
  • 5,201 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:58 PM

What MNGB said is true I had headaches with my K361 running like poop. I took it to a shop,no help. Installed a new carb,something.
lived with it for years ,couldn't adjust the carb . Then I found a guy down the road that worked on all types of engines. He said he could fix it and by GOD he did. Throttle shaft bushing was sucking air. He repaired and replaced the bushing and it NEVER ran so good. Stick with the K361 it is a sweet motor.

Beef, this guy hasn't been active since the day he posted this. It's a problem that plagues all forums: somebody asks a question, they get help, and fix it. It's great they got help, but they never return to say what the problem was to help other people who may have the same issue. He probably had the carb issue and after it was fixed he didn't even think to come back on the site.
  • KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks