9 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,381 Thanks
  • 5,799 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 07:46 AM

About everything we planted is up and growing good.  Pumpkins did not come up and only 1 out of 6 Cantaloupe.  Planted more Cantaloupe and topped the hill with commercial top soil and put in 5 more pumpkin seeds.  Had trouble last year with pumpkins, third planting finally came up but died off when the were about to start to vine out.  Wondering if they are ultra-sensative to Preen?  Didn't effect any of the other plantings.

BCS 2 wheel tractor time today.  Clean the carb again, bar mowing, then put the tiller on and do the weeding in the main garden.  To hard to manurver the treactor and tiller once things are growing good.  Will then have to water everything.  We hand water just the plants, takes less water, does more good and don't water the weeds.  Heavy mulch around the tomatoes so no splatter on the lower leaves.  If that don't take up most of the day, relaxing on the deck will finish it off.  Will try and grab some photos when I finish up.

• KennyP, gopher, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,815 Thanks
  • 3,999 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 01:51 PM

I have had the same problem with pumpkins for the last year or two.... poor germination with commercial seed is my conclusion. One of my neighbours has promised me some seed from her pumpkins should they happen to grow, and I'll try again next year.
  • Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,381 Thanks
  • 5,799 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 04:24 PM

Got the photos up finally.  Had to build 4 more rings for the tomato plants.  Had a piece of web fence wire handy so used it.  The taller ones are built from 16' long cattle panels, 4 squares across each side.  Held together with hog rings.  They fold flat for storing but will ne3d staking when the plant get big.  Last year the plants were about 5' high.  Lot of trash to get rid of a season end.  I use the flags to mark the plants for easier spotting when using the tractor and cultivator.

SAM_0292.JPG   SAM_0293.JPG   SAM_0294.JPG

SAM_0295.JPG   SAM_0296.JPG  

• gopher, Sawdust and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,381 Thanks
  • 5,799 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 04:27 PM

I have had the same problem with pumpkins for the last year or two.... poor germination with commercial seed is my conclusion. One of my neighbours has promised me some seed from her pumpkins should they happen to grow, and I'll try again next year.

May be it isn't the Preen carry over then.  We use bran name seeds from Menard's but guess they can be bad also. Might try another brand of seed as there is time yet and the latest planting is not up yet either.

• oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,309 Thanks
  • 3,234 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 07:11 AM

I like the idea of using the cattle panels. We had to fence our garden this year & I already miss the wide open area like you have. It's going to be interesting this fall prepping the ground.

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,309 Thanks
  • 3,234 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 07:18 AM

We have always started our own seeds for many years. While having to live in the city we had no garden until moving back in the country recently. We had so much trouble last year with commercial seeds I think the quality just isn't there anymore. They weren't cheap either & from the big B company.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#7 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,815 Thanks
  • 3,999 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 09:45 AM

I like the idea of using the cattle panels. We had to fence our garden this year & I already miss the wide open area like you have. It's going to be interesting this fall prepping the ground.

I make tomato cages etc. out of heavy duty cement reinforcement wire. Because of on going problems with early blight the tomatoes this year are widely and randomly spaced throughout the garden. It'll make for more work cultivating between the rows but hopefully will solve the disease problem by increasing the air flow and reducing contact between the sprawling plants.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 8,381 Thanks
  • 5,799 posts

Posted June 08, 2017 - 07:15 PM

I make tomato cages etc. out of heavy duty cement reinforcement wire. Because of on going problems with early blight the tomatoes this year are widely and randomly spaced throughout the garden. It'll make for more work cultivating between the rows but hopefully will solve the disease problem by increasing the air flow and reducing contact between the sprawling plants.

I read where the blight is in the ground and carry's to the plant by watering.  The water splashes the dirt up on the lower leaves and the blight gets started on the plant.  To greatly reduce this splattering, use a layer of mulch around the plants and water at the base of the plant only.  This is what I read in a local publication from a long time gardener.  Will see if it works.

Speaking of watering, it is getting real dry here now.  Almost 2 weeks no rain.  Only 30% chance next Thursday.  Garden dirt is dry for over 2" on top now.  We are watering every other day with watering cans.  Water only the plants.  Let the weeds find their own moisture.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#9 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 187 Thanks
  • 121 posts

Posted June 11, 2017 - 07:20 PM

IMG_1633.JPG IMG_1635.JPG just got my water lines going today. It was 98 on thermometer but we have had very wet conditions up until now. I cultivated first so the rows are better and my late planting is going OK as my beans and others are up and going. If I could stop the deer from eating the water melons and cantaloupe plants I might actually get 1 or 2. LOL!!! My tomatoes are all field plants but I use plastic and a water drip tape under it. Conserves water and stops weeds, I love it. Also my wife wanted sunflowers again this year so I put in several rows and they are kicking big time.

• Alc said thank you

#10 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding
  • Member No: 84933
  • 120 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 09:10 PM

Fine looking garden!!