Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,858 Thanks
  • 4,351 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 05:59 PM

Still getting used to Win-10. I have looked all over the engine tins for a code. I guess it must have been on a label that is long gone. Parts are going in a box for now. Not sure if any are good, the only thing I might try is adapting the electric start to the donor  engine.

• KennyP and classic have said thanks

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 37,582 Thanks
  • 45,546 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 06:21 PM

Is it a 5 HP Briggs, by chance? Got some head gaskets and such for one of those!

• larrybl said thank you

#18 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,858 Thanks
  • 4,351 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 09:01 PM

I think it is a 7 or 8 by the size. Still tearing down.... Going all the way to a empty block to see everything..... got some system alarms tonight so it may be a full busy day at work tomorrow.

• KennyP said thank you

#19 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,858 Thanks
  • 4,351 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 04:18 PM

Busy day at work yesterday, and when I got home SpaceX was making their own weather. Any how I was able to take more of the engine apart. I am really liking how the cylinder wall looks, but not so much as all the water I dumped out. After emptying it I spun it over to show my grandson how an engine works, then showed him this video that I found fascinating.

I am on the fence about cracking the block. The more I take apart, the more I think it is salvageable.

Having Win 10 issues on my Shop PC, I can create a post, but can't upload pictures, or make an actual post. I moved over to my Win 7 laptop to try this again. Oops, forgot I can't paste using IE on Win 7. Now using Fire Fox. Cut n Paste worked, now to see if I can attach some pictures and post this.

Yaa!!!! It worked

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1271.jpg
  • IMG_1276.jpg
  • IMG_1282.jpg

• jhn9840 said thank you

#20 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,331 Thanks
  • 2,991 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 04:52 PM

Busy day at work yesterday, and when I got home SpaceX was making their own weather. Any how I was able to take more of the engine apart. I am really liking how the cylinder wall looks, but not so much as all the water I dumped out. After emptying it I spun it over to show my grandson how an engine works, then showed him this video that I found fascinating.

I am on the fence about cracking the block. The more I take apart, the more I think it is salvageable.

Having Win 10 issues on my Shop PC, I can create a post, but can't upload pictures, or make an actual post. I moved over to my Win 7 laptop to try this again. Oops, forgot I can't paste using IE on Win 7. Now using Fire Fox. Cut n Paste worked, now to see if I can attach some pictures and post this.

Yaa!!!! It worked

Cylinder walls look good 

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 37,582 Thanks
  • 45,546 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 05:01 PM

Cylinder walls look good 

Yeah but that valve that's open looks crooked!

#22 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,331 Thanks
  • 2,991 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 05:17 PM

Yeah but that valve that's open looks crooked!

I got a tool for him to borrow that will check the guides. It's from Briggs and Stratton 

#23 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,858 Thanks
  • 4,351 posts

Posted December 29, 2017 - 05:29 PM

Camera angle + crud. I double checked, valves are straight and no slop in the guides. Plan to finish the frame tear down this weekend, move all the parts to another shed. First step getting the engine power washed and cleaned up. May be a challenge this weekend and more likely differed to just Shop cleanup this weekend.

• KennyP and bbuckler have said thanks

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,664 Thanks
  • 5,855 posts

Posted December 31, 2017 - 05:06 PM

That looks like a diff set up from a 60s and 70s alsport trike.

Pretty neat
  • larrybl said thank you

#25 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,858 Thanks
  • 4,351 posts

Posted January 02, 2018 - 08:52 PM

Changed to my second propane tank last night, Stood in line at the propane station tonight. Still dissembling the Penncraft. This plunger assembly (I assume a idler damper) is completely shot. I may crack it open the see how it may have functioned, and try to locate a substitute. I removed  the top pan (not shown) front steering assembly, and rear drive. I was able to get a bolt out of one of the rear wheels, but the rim is froze to the axle. Here is the warm spot in the shop, spending time standing in between the three heaters watching tv.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1285.jpg
  • IMG_1293.jpg
  • IMG_1294.jpg
  • IMG_1308.jpg

Edited by larrybl, January 02, 2018 - 10:45 PM.

#26 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • Member No: 89033
  • 56 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 06:07 PM

I keep seeing more and more tractors made by MTD how many are they good luck with that one larry 

#27 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,858 Thanks
  • 4,351 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 08:21 PM

I dug out the spare engine from storage, Checking it over to see if it will work. I need to check if the pulley will fit the spare engine, the big difference are the intake and exhaust port locations. I don't think this will matter much, also there is no way to adapt the electric start to the spare. All I have to worry about is the throttle cable and wire the deck safety switch to the engine kill wire. I cranked it up to make sure it still runs. The only issue is gas seeping around this carb seal. This engine does have the codes. 130902 - 0258-02 - 740606 so 1974 vintage?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1328.jpg
  • IMG_1329.jpg
  • IMG_1330.jpg
  • IMG_1331.jpg
  • IMG_1333.jpg