Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Question about the starter on a Briggs and Stratton twin.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pdosr1959 OFFLINE  

pdosr1959

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2718
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 02:50 PM

Casey-any advice on a noisy starter on my 15.5 HP Briggs Opposed Twin??? It starts my mower fine, just sounds awful when I turn ignition. Squeaks, whines, doesn't sound like metal on metal. Is it as simple as me holding ignition key in start too long?? Starter Drive gear seems fine, moves up and down shaft fine, spring seems fine. I am just stumped-don't want to replace or rebuild starter if it is just a stupid operator!!! Thanks! Paul

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 03:02 PM

Casey-any advice on a noisy starter on my 15.5 HP Briggs Opposed Twin??? It starts my mower fine, just sounds awful when I turn ignition. Squeaks, whines, doesn't sound like metal on metal. Is it as simple as me holding ignition key in start too long?? Starter Drive gear seems fine, moves up and down shaft fine, spring seems fine. I am just stumped-don't want to replace or rebuild starter if it is just a stupid operator!!! Thanks! Paul

I don't know starter onlys well, but have an opposed twin, and its starter sounds fine to me. However, yours sounds like it could be a worn bushing, or mabey cracked magnet as I had a starter only I replaced on one of my tractors that seemed to start the tractor fine, but when I tore it apart the magnets were broken, bushings worn heavily, and looked essentially smoked, so I replaced it. I would think as long as it is working don't touch it, but if it bothers you then you have to decide is it worth fixing something that essentially isn't broken? And I am going to make this other recommendation, this thread is about starter-generators and you need help on your starter only, so I would ask a Moderator to move these two posts into a new thread in a more general section so that more members can see it and voice opinion on it. (I will get that ball rolling)

#3 pdosr1959 OFFLINE  

pdosr1959

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2718
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 01:28 PM

Great point-if it ain't broke don't fix it! Thanks for the advice. BTW-I am still not convinced it isn't the stupid nut that holds the steering wheel-aka ME!

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 03:19 PM

I think anyone that buys an old tractor because they like it and want to fix it... is a nut, including myself and many others of this forum lol. It is not a get rich quick scheme cause there is no money to be made in restoring them, it truely is a labor of love. I wish I have more room for them all LOL.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted June 27, 2011 - 04:52 AM

Paul, I'm no starter guru, but sounds as though your starter is getting close to needing repairs. New bushings and brushes may do wonders. Don't wait too long, you might need more parts. If it like the one on my 14 HP single cyl., the gears are plastic and the drive gear broke. I bought two. It was making weird sounds and making the starter bind before it broke.