• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,468 Thanks
  • 1,183 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 03:09 PM

Bought a saw at a g sale, checked spark with spark tester, good spark. I pulled the plug and watched spark, It looks great. Sniffed the gas tank smells ok, just residue. Fill the gas set the choke pump the primer 6 pumps switch on pull the rope. It spins over good compression isn't great but it is there. No pop no run no indication of burning fuel. Pull the plug and prime.   Nothing   Check the spark again looks good. Prime through the carb   Nothing. Rinse and repeat. nothing. Check to make sure it's gas in the tank. Fine. Out of ideas HELP. Don

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,056 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 03:19 PM

check the screen in the muffler  sometimes they fill up with carbon, other than that low compression would probably be the issue I'm guessing

• secondtry said thank you

#3 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,140 Thanks
  • 5,524 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 03:58 PM

Through it in the garbage or sell to someone else.

Don't waste your time and $$$ trying to fix it because they are all junk.

I bought 2 of them, neither one lasted, the owners manual I got with mine said that they have a life expectancy or 50hrs.

Do yourself a favor and by a new, good brand name saw for a small engine shop not a big box store.

• propane1 and John Arsenault have said thanks

#4 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 192 Thanks
  • 145 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 04:01 PM

You probably will have to go into the carb.  My 2 poulan chain saws both have had that problem.  Inside the carb. there is a screen and on mine they would clog up with what looks like grease.  Don't know what it was but cleaned them and now they run great.  Also the fuel lines go bad too.  And get the tool that adjusts the needle settings.

#5 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,468 Thanks
  • 1,183 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 05:30 PM

Through it in the garbage or sell to someone else.

Don't waste your time and $$$ trying to fix it because they are all junk.

I bought 2 of them, neither one lasted, the owners manual I got with mine said that they have a life expectancy or 50hrs.

Do yourself a favor and by a new, good brand name saw for a small engine shop not a big box store

Have an o31 Stihl 031 I bought in about 95. Works fine but it doesn't cut wood that has been skidded through the sand and rocks. I thought the Poulan would be a sacrificial saw.

You probably will have to go into the carb.  My 2 poulan chain saws both have had that problem.  Inside the carb. there is a screen and on mine they would clog up with what looks like grease.  Don't know what it was but cleaned them and now they run great.  Also the fuel lines go bad too.  And get the tool that adjusts the needle settings.

I can do that I have fuel line and carb cleaner on hand. I just don't understand why it won even pop when primed. Don

• DH1 said thank you

#6 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,468 Thanks
  • 1,183 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 05:36 PM

check the screen in the muffler  sometimes they fill up with carbon, other than that low compression would probably be the issue I'm guessing

Checked the screen it looks near new. Compression comes up when primed. swapped plugs with a good running weed eater. saw still does not run. Weed eater still does.

#7 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,132 Thanks
  • 739 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 11:37 PM

The plug wire is routed through the cooling fin's on the older version's of these and will jump spark easily,under compression there is more resistance,move the wire and try it,a later version had floating port inserts that were hard on the piston and loose crankcase pressure,have you tried priming through the plug hole?

#8 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 01:17 AM

I tell my customers to throw chainsaws and weed eaters over a bank when they break down. But check the fuel lines in the tank they fall off . The muffler and clean the carb there is a screen in it too

#9 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,454 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 01:21 AM

Leaking crank seals also

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,223 Thanks
  • 3,964 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 06:42 AM

Save your self the trouble. Throw it away. I worked on one like that in the winter for about a month. Drove me crazier than I all ready am. Most small engine shops won't even work on them. Mine is under my bench now. May use parts off it for my other saw some day.

Noel

Edited by propane1, June 04, 2017 - 06:43 AM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,969 Thanks
  • 5,583 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 07:06 AM

Lots of folks toss them but I tinker with them before I do..  Fuel lines are the most likely culprit..

(Other than somebody straight-gassing the thing)

A leaking gas line will starve the thing for fuel every time..  The thing should start/fire though after primed..  The easy compression test goes like this:

Grab the start handle and lift the saw..  If the saw drops the thing is hosed (rings/cylinder shot)..  Send it out back to the scrap pile..

#12 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,144 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 07:28 AM

I fought a Sears saw that had/ the same symptoms.  Put on a new carb. double checked the plug wire, etc.  Darn thing still won't run.  Was a Sears return - wonder why ? ?   Put it back in the case and forgot it.  Parts candidate.

#13 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,468 Thanks
  • 1,183 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 11:34 AM

Lots of folks toss them but I tinker with them before I do..  Fuel lines are the most likely culprit..

(Other than somebody straight-gassing the thing)

A leaking gas line will starve the thing for fuel every time..  The thing should start/fire though after primed..  The easy compression test goes like this:

Grab the start handle and lift the saw..  If the saw drops the thing is hosed (rings/cylinder shot)..  Send it out back to the scrap pile..

Has a lot more compression than that. I have worked on a lot of saws all the way back to 1940 gear drive Mcculoch. Many with much less compression. Never hav one with good spark a little compression that when primed acted like I was trying to burn water. Don