EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,314 Thanks
  • 2,968 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 10:50 PM

Here's my new to me wheel Horse after a bit of clean up and a couple "upgrades"

This one sat for a few years because of a large hole in the gas tank.Thinking someone backed into a truck hitch or something similar sized.I replaced the tank with a good clean used one from Joes Outdoor Power Ebay store.Thanks again bud ;)

Originally it had narrow 23 8.50 12 tires and rims on the rear and 15 6.00 6 tires and rims on the front.Tractor sat unused in a garage for a few years and tires were flat.They cracked bad and would not hold air longer than a couple hours.

So it spend $40 on a good set of used 16 6.50 8 Front rims with good crack free tires with tubes in them.And put a set of 23 10.50 12 tires and rims on it that I had laying around off of an older Craftsman GT5000.Little cracked but they have almost new tread and good tubes in them.

Paint that I got for the rims was supposed to be Metallic gloss Aluminum but it's a WEEEEEEEEEE bit bright lol.I like the color though so it's going to stay that way.

New Battery,Drive belt,deck belt,oil,oil filter and she's a good looking and awesome mowing tractor. Only had 268 hours on the meter and it does work.Currently has 282.6 hours on it.I've been mowing every blade of grass I can find with it all over the neighborhood lol.

Still need to wet sand and buff the hood.Someone sat a can of some sort of Wood Varnish on the hood that leaked.It's not bad, should sand out and buff up.Little surface rust on the black parts,shifter plate and seat bracket that need a little attention yet but she's looking GOOD.

She mows very even and very flat and the steering is alot tighter turning than my old Cub 582. I think she's a keeper.

IMG_20170602_175304.jpg IMG_20170602_175316.jpg IMG_20170602_175341.jpg IMG_20170602_175356.jpg IMG_20170602_175415.jpg

Edited by EricFromPa, June 03, 2017 - 12:37 AM.

• MolonLabe said thank you

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,314 Thanks
  • 2,968 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 10:55 PM

My hour meter looks that way because the clear plastic protective film was never removed from it. It will clean off just haven't gotten that far.I must of had a smudge on my camera lens lol.The glare from the rims is pretty ridicules.

Actually took the tires off the beads to paint the rims this time.They turned out alot nicer than the ones I've taped up. Not that hard to pop a tire off the bead.Paint definitely goes on smoother and easier when your not worried about over spray.

I used Valspar Armor Anti Rust 1 good coat of Primer,2 thick coats of paint and 2 light coats of clear on the rims.Thought the clear would darken it a little but it didn't.If anything it's a bit brighter.

Edited by EricFromPa, June 02, 2017 - 11:13 PM.

• MolonLabe said thank you

#3 MolonLabe ONLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 547 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 06:11 AM

Wow! Those wheels really pop! Nice tractor Eric, one that should last for many many trouble free years. I've mowed with a Wheel Horse for years and it has spoiled me.

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,998 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 07:20 AM

Nice looking tractor.  The silver will dull down some with time and use.  Clear Acrylic will not stand up to weather conditions.  Clear Laquor will. Tried clear acrylic on a boat one in a couple spots.  Lasted a couple trips out and started to dull and turn yellow.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 3,314 Thanks
  • 2,968 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 04:32 PM

I need to break up the shinny on the rear rims a bit. I painted the rear hubs and lug nuts silver when I had the wheels off. Everything that had Black paint on it other than the dash tower and hood was a little rusty.

I'm going to repaint the hubs and lug nut heads red. I have a can of IH red in the shed that's a pretty close match to the rest of the red. Just a bit to much shinny lol.

The paint is Oil Based Acrylic and the Clear is called Gloss Clear Sealer. I should of grabbed the Brushed Nickle paint instead but the cap was Alot darker than the original paint. I brang 1 of the original front rims with me to the hardware store to compare. This one was the closest I could find but it went on WAY to bright lol.

Kinda looks like the chrome rims on the Uber "Rare" 420LSE Hate the word Rare btw lol.

It has me kinda spoiled. I thought it would be harder to get on the seat but it's actually easier to get on than my Cubby. Still getting used to the front wheels out front so far. My Cub 582 front axle is back about 4-5 inches from the grill.The wheel horse axle is pretty much rite under the grill.

• KennyP said thank you