• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tek6029 OFFLINE  

tek6029
  • Member No: 85894
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 12:06 PM

Went to mow yesterday and when I was filling up the Bolens I noticed gas started leaking from the carb. It wasn't doing this when I last used it about a week ago. I have never messed with a carburetor before so I have no idea where to start. Help!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,810 Thanks
  • 18,058 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 12:21 PM

Sounds like the needle valve is not seating properly or float is sticking, did you try making a few taps on the bowl of the carb to see if it would stop it?

What model engine and carb is this?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 12:23 PM

^ What he said ^ 

The only cause of leaking gas i can think of is, sticking float/needle valve, or possibly a bad gasket. i would also say, maybe a warped top or bottom half of the carb, but if it happened all of a sudden, i wold rule that out. Your best bet is to clean the carb, make sure the float dosent stick, and the needle valve moves freely, and go fro there. 

#4 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 97 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 02:32 PM

no cracks in fuel lines or loose clamps?

try some seafoam in the gas and also shooting some down the carb and around while it's running - may "loosen" up what's stuck or dislodge some "dirt"

#5 tek6029 OFFLINE  

tek6029
  • Member No: 85894
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 05:58 PM

Got it fellas, the needle valve was stuck. Had to take the fuel inlet Barb off to get to it. It's a Bolens 2028 with the 8 horse Briggs and Stratton.

Now, to diagnose why it's not starting. The other day it wouldn't start. Gas tank was low so figured it was that. Found my leak when I filled the tank.
Runs when I pour gas right in the carb it runs until that gas burns off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,144 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 07:05 PM

Might have the needle valve stuck closed now and not letting the gas into the carb.  It is kind of the nature of some of these old carbs to want to leak gas while sitting around.  I try to remember to turn the gas off when I am finished for the day, but don't always work out that way and come back to a big wet spot and empty tank.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#7 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 234 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 01:04 PM

I'd start with chieffan's suggestion, but if you're satisfied that the needle isn't sticking, I'd pull the jets and clean them and the passages. Last winter my Husky 750 ran out of gas and some sediment from the past got stirred up and ended up clogging things up. Turned into on of those lessons about cleaning the entire fuel system the first time instead of doing it several times.