• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LA2TN OFFLINE  

LA2TN
  • Member No: 63647
  • 23 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 01, 2017 - 07:28 PM

This has probably been discussed before but I did a search and didn't find what I'm looking for. My 74 2414 is shutting down after about 10 minutes of run time. It will crank the next day but still shuts down after 10 minutes. I had an extra spark plug so I changed the plug, but still same problem. Is it the coil getting hot? If so, where can you find a replacement coil? Also, it acts like it has a weak battery when cranking even though I have a fresh battery on it. Could this be related? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0406.JPG
  • IMG_0407.JPG

#2 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 1,550 Thanks
  • 1,254 posts

Posted June 01, 2017 - 07:39 PM

Weak coil. It works fine when cold, but when hot it shuts down, so its a weak coil. Shouldnt be too hard to fix, but might be pricey

#3 todapuckett OFFLINE  

todapuckett
  • Member No: 83303
  • 20 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 01, 2017 - 08:20 PM

Is it just stopping or does it start running really bad, bogging down until it stops?  It probably is a weak coil or plug wire that shorts when it gets hot, but it may be overheating as well.  Take the engine shrouds off and clean the cooling fins, you would be surprised what all gets in there.  Also, you may want to adjust the valves if it has been awhile since they have been done.

Finally, I had this problem and it turned out to be the fuel cap not venting.

Good luck and let us know what fixes it

#4 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,285 posts

Posted June 01, 2017 - 10:39 PM

I lean more toward fuel cap not venting, 10 min is not really long enough to overheat a coil, but its really simple to check run the engine for 10 min when it stops put your hand around the coil if to hot to hold that's the problem if not, chances are just as good or better that the condenser is bad. Or as posted it could be a bad wire that is shorting out after running some

Edited by MNGB, June 01, 2017 - 10:42 PM.

#5 dlang94 OFFLINE  

dlang94
  • Member No: 63471
  • 245 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 12:06 PM

If it is the coil I found one at the tractor supply down the street from me. Had to replace the one on my cub cadet recently, but mine was barely turning the engine over when I was starting it then eventually wouldn't turn it at all.

#6 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 62 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 12:51 PM

If it is the coil I found one at the tractor supply down the street from me. Had to replace the one on my cub cadet recently, but mine was barely turning the engine over when I was starting it then eventually wouldn't turn it at all.

Huh ?

• MNGB said thank you

#7 dlang94 OFFLINE  

dlang94
  • Member No: 63471
  • 245 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 12:54 PM

Huh ?

my cub cadet tractor was having trouble starting so i replaced the ignition coil with one from tractor supply.

#8 LA2TN OFFLINE  

LA2TN
  • 23 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 01:25 PM

First of all, I apologize for the bad quality pics.  Must have fuzz or something on my ipad lens.  

Thanks for the help guys.  So to summarize, the problem could be fuel cap not venting, bad coil, bad condenser, dirty cooling fins, plug wire, or another bad wire.  If it ever quits raining here in North Louisiana, I'll start working on it.  I guess the first and easiest remedy is the gas cap?   

Just before it dies, it starts bogging down a little.  This bogging down only occurs for about a minute or so before it dies.  I've never let it idle until it dies, I've always driven it around.  I'll crank it and let it idle and see how long it goes before it dies.  

Thanks guys.    

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#9 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,285 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 01:51 PM

Hi any auto parts store or tractor supply store will have a gas cap, a Stant 10623 fits the PK gas tank and is vented and your saying it bogs down makes me think its the gas tank not venting

https://shop.advance...0623/18481482-P

#10 todapuckett OFFLINE  

todapuckett
  • Member No: 83303
  • 20 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 08:14 PM

Fuel cap and cleaning the fins are cheap and pretty quick.  Electronics like the coil or condensor cool down very quickly and would go back to running in a matter of minutes, so I am leaning more and more towards the fuel cap.

#11 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,392 Thanks
  • 3,018 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 09:46 PM

1st look for symptoms of vapor locking.Take the gas cap off and shine a flashlight in the tank and look for bubbles after it shuts off.

Do you have all of the the heat shields on and around the engine? Do you have an exhaust leak Under the hood? Is your fuel line close to the exhaust? Do you have a mouse nest in the blower housing?

Easy to determine if the gas cap is at fault.Take the cap off and let it run.

How old is the fuel line? Your normal 1/4" fuel line will collapse internally in under 10 years if your running the cheap gas in it with ethanol. The liner in the hose turns into sludge with the consistency of thick cold Tar.

Edited by EricFromPa, June 02, 2017 - 09:46 PM.

• MNGB and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#12 TravelinJavelin OFFLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • Member No: 84768
  • 126 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 10:29 AM

i'm not sure if this will apply too 4 stroke engines or not but when I use to run snowmobiles the 2 strokes the pto side seal if was leaking would rev up by itself for few seconds then die....I was going to say take like some carb and choke and while running spray around the seal if you hear any difference in the motor reving up or down running eratic afterwards then go from there

#13 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,285 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hi Travelin, it does not apply to 4 storke engines, a 2 stroke relies on crankcase vacuum to draw the fuel oil mixture to lube the bearings and them up the intake port to the cylinder so yes if there is a bad seal they don't run well. If a 4 stroke has a bad / leaking PTO seal oil will leak out causing a big mess

#14 LA2TN OFFLINE  

LA2TN
  • 23 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 07:28 PM

Ok, I tinkered around with it this afternoon. I cranked it and noticed some liquid coming from under the air breather. It's been raining so I thought it may be water, however after further investigation in taking off the air breather, it is gasoline pouring from the carb. I think I have a fuel problem because it ran for a while then started to sputter a bit just like its been doing. While idling, gas was dripping pretty good. When I bumped up the throttle the gas stopped dripping. What could be causing this? I attached a video.

Attached Files

#15 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,285 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 08:51 PM

Yep that is a serious gas leak, I advise a new carb the aftermarket carbs are cheaper then a complete overhaul kit and its a new carb I've installed 5 / 6 of them and all made the engine run like new.

http://www.ebay.com/...OoAAOSwZKBZKnx-