• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 toxsin OFFLINE  

toxsin

• Member No: 4165
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 09:29 AM

So let me just start off by saying that I have a bolens riding mower have noooo idea what year or model I got it from the in-laws cause they were going to throw the thing away due to it not running for years.... I adjusted the valves and now it purrs like a kitten but the issue I ran in to is that everytime I run it the drive belt starts smoking due to how old it is I've tried to replace it but there is another belt on top of the gear box that needs to cone off first but I have no idea how to remove it...... I need help O..o

Edited by toxsin, June 17, 2011 - 09:38 AM.

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 10:29 AM

Can you post a pic of the tractor, & if possible, the belt/pulley area in question? We have many Bolens guys here that definitely could help you. And welcome to GTT!

#3 toxsin OFFLINE  

toxsin

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 11:49 AM

I will post a pic as soon as I get off work I just kind stumbled on this forum ill prepared lol and thanks for the welcome

#4 toxsin OFFLINE  

toxsin

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 08:06 PM

[ATTACH]16064[/ATTACH] thats the belt im trying to upload the mower but its giving me trouble

Attached Thumbnails

• mower2.jpg

#5 toxsin OFFLINE  

toxsin

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 08:11 PM

Posted Image the mower

#6 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 08:18 PM

Probably have to take the deck off....at least. That will get that other belt out of the way........From there, Im not sure, but they usually make it so you can fish the new belt through....might have to take off a bracket or two.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 08:26 PM

With it being a newer Bolens it is going to be tougher on them the way the sheet metal attaches and they don't give you as much room. Our Huskee that we have to mow the grass with, the drive belt on it is in bad shape and I was trying to look to see how I could go about changing it and you would literally have to disassemble over half of the tractor to replace that belt. I gave up and figured the day the belt dies is the day the mower dies LOL.

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 08:32 PM

:ditto: those newer models can be a real PITA to change the belt.
Hope you are able to get it off without much difficulty.

#9 toxsin OFFLINE  

toxsin

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 09:30 PM

I've taken the deck and the blade belt off already and even with those off the drive belt comes off half way due to the my inability to take off the belt that over laps it on the gearbox ... I was hoping if some one of a bracket or pulley I'm missing =\

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 09:37 PM

There is a good chance you will have to remove some or a good bit of sheet metal with the way they make the stamped sheet metal tractors.

#11 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 10:22 PM

I just helped a friend replace a belt on an MTD that had that same belt arrangement under the seat. He already had the belts off so I needed to just figure out how to get them on. I ended up using a ratchet tie down and attaching one end to the bracket at the spring in the picture you posted. You will need to run the tie down through the inside of the frame and come out on the left side of the motor and then attach it to something solid near the left front wheel. Before you take up tension on the tie down make sure the belt is off of the pulley on the motor. Tension the tie down and this will collapse the rear pulley and allow you to remove the top belt. If you don't have a tie down you could hook a stiff piece of wire to the end of the spring the protrudes through the frame next to the right rear tire. Make sure the wire is strong enough to release the spring tension and also long enough. After you have changed the belts just reattach the spring using the wire that you used to release the spring tension. All references to right and left are from the drivers seat. I hope this is helpful and be careful if you go the spring route as there is a fair amount of tension on the spring.
Jonathan

#12 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 17, 2011 - 10:25 PM

the problem with me and a regular law mower, i cant weasel my fat ass under them, with my ht20 i can waddle under it without getting stuck, i got stuck under my h14, im claustrophobic i freaked and well it wasnt good. but yeah new tractors need the 26x12-12's so big guys can actually get under them. sorry for the random comment rant. goodluck man.

#13 toxsin OFFLINE  

toxsin

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 09:57 AM

I just helped a friend replace a belt on an MTD that had that same belt arrangement under the seat. He already had the belts off so I needed to just figure out how to get them on. I ended up using a ratchet tie down and attaching one end to the bracket at the spring in the picture you posted. You will need to run the tie down through the inside of the frame and come out on the left side of the motor and then attach it to something solid near the left front wheel. Before you take up tension on the tie down make sure the belt is off of the pulley on the motor. Tension the tie down and this will collapse the rear pulley and allow you to remove the top belt. If you don't have a tie down you could hook a stiff piece of wire to the end of the spring the protrudes through the frame next to the right rear tire. Make sure the wire is strong enough to release the spring tension and also long enough. After you have changed the belts just reattach the spring using the wire that you used to release the spring tension. All references to right and left are from the drivers seat. I hope this is helpful and be careful if you go the spring route as there is a fair amount of tension on the spring.
Jonathan

That might help a lot I have a racket strap just never occurred to me to do something like till let yall know if that works out!!hat w

#14 toxsin OFFLINE  

toxsin

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 09:02 AM

So I got em off Cept the one on top the gearbox just got that one half way off due to the fact that I would have to take off the pulley I think that one will just be replaced when it breaks lol

#15 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted June 21, 2011 - 03:56 PM

If the belt smells hot or still smokes, there is a bushing under that pulley that has seized on people before. Makes for a very tight turning pulley. Also, that pulley is supposed to slide on a bracket (?) groove (?) that moves as you adjust speed.