#1 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 01:30 PM

I an planning on rewiring two JD 140's, and want to do it myself. Most of the wire I find on the market today is copper clad aluminum. I've never used it. Obviously, pure copper is a better conductor, but is there some reason other than price that this stuff is so common? 

#2 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,870 Thanks
  • 1,171 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 02:53 PM

I think you answered your own question- price- . I myself wouldn't use it on it on anything exposed to the elements , they do use miles of it in new cars and transmission power lines , but on a Gt I would stick to pure copper wire , you don't  need much and any good Napa will have what you need.

My concern is where the crimp on ends connect to the wire . I always crimp , solder and shrink wrap.

Copper wire has proven itself for over a hundred years and myself see no good reason to change what has always worked fine for me.      

• Trav1s, SupplySergeant and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 03:02 PM

Pretty much what I thought, Bill 76. It's just difficult to find the many (12! With all the stripes) colors needed for a John Deere harness. I think I'm going to spring for WayTek GPT wire, automotive spec, all copper, PVC jacket.

#4 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,870 Thanks
  • 1,171 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 03:28 PM

Pretty much what I thought, Bill 76. It's just difficult to find the many (12! With all the stripes) colors needed for a John Deere harness. I think I'm going to spring for WayTek GPT wire, automotive spec, all copper, PVC jacket.

I sometimes color code the ends of wires with a wrap of different color electrical tape or shrink wrap . A wrap of red tape on end of a black wire just made it a black wire with a red tracer . It will cut down on how many different color rolls you have to buy . Shrink wrap is more permanent although . 

• SupplySergeant said thank you

#5 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,688 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 06:20 PM

Not a bad idea, thanks. I already have a large selection of adhesive-lined heat shrink, so this will work great. So, any idea where to find the push-on stud connectors they used? I can find the Packard 56 series for most of the other connections, and the bullets for the head and tail lights, but haven't found anything but regular ring terminals for the others.

Edited by SupplySergeant, May 31, 2017 - 06:20 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wiring, electrical, wire