• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 675 Thanks
  • 446 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 01:02 PM

I was led to believe that the S model HT23 had to have speed control, power steering, transmission cooler, and an HT23 decal on the lower right front corner of the hood. My 1987 has all but the trannie cooler, so I figured it was a northern version. Then I got a 2389S owners manual from October of 1986 (FORM 3899-1 (10/86) SUPERSEDES 3899). It shows the speed control and power steering unit, but adds a note on page 12 (under the transmission hot light section) "If the heat indicator light comes on frequently... ...we recommend the installation of a oil cooler kit." So, that makes my '87 a standard 2389S.

Blownhose.jpg IMG_6193.jpg 0531171154-00.jpg 0531171154-02.jpg 0531171155-01.jpg 0531171156-01.jpg

Last summer I picked up my ugly duckling which, surprisingly, runs and drives like a new machine. It has power steering and the oil cooler, but no speed control or front decal. The engine appears to be a dealer replacement and the tractor model is worn off. All I can read is part of the serial #, which is 0200. I assumed it was an upgraded 2389 until the PO found his original paperwork and sent me a package. In it is a 2389S (3899) manual from May of '83. It shows the power steering unit and has the same note about the oil cooler, but the instrument description and dash view doesn't include speed control. So, does that mean I have both early and late versions of the S model HT23?

002.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 0531171158-01.jpg 0531171159-00.jpg 0531171159-01.jpg 0531171159-02.jpg 0531171159-04.jpg 0531171200-00.jpg 0531171200-02.jpg 0531171200-04.jpg

Let the discussion begin.

Paul

Edited by Paulgo, May 31, 2017 - 02:05 PM.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, Austen and 5 others have said thanks

#2 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • Member No: 85357
  • 316 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 01:43 PM

Very interesting Paul. Reason I say that is I purchased an "S" model over the winter and mine also doesn't have the speed control or the decal on the front of the hood either, which made me ask a bunch of questions and try getting to the bottom of things as well. I might add also, mine has the aluminum dash (not plastic). Mine is a very low hour machine so it's in very good shape & in its original paint and I'll say that there are NO holes or scratches where the speed control would have been or any remnants of the missing decal ever being there. I too have the original dealer paperwork on the machine to indicate it is and always was an "S" model (not just an added cooler or power steering to a regular HT23), not to mention it has the correct decals of the "S" model. I too have the manual you refer too. I was never able to definitively find an answer as to why the missing speed control or of the aluminum dash on mine. I recruited some very knowledgeable people from here to try helping me out getting the answers and ended up no positive conclusion why... MAYBE someone here knows the answers or maybe not but, nice to know my tractor isn't the ONLY "S" model equipt this way and it could just be another one of those "THINGS" Bolens did for no apparent rhyme or reason on some of them. One thing that made me wonder about your "ugly duckling" was it has the regular ht23 hood decals not the "S" model decals, maybe that's a regular ht23 and the po just happened to have the manual to include the "S" model?

Edited by kjmweld, May 31, 2017 - 01:52 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Zekkjacen and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • 675 Thanks
  • 446 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 01:55 PM

Very interesting Paul. Reason I say that is I purchased an "S" model over the winter and mine also doesn't have the speed control or the decal on the front of the hood either, which made me ask a bunch of questions and try getting to the bottom of things as well. I might add also, mine has the aluminum dash (not plastic). Mine is a very low hour machine so it's in very good shape & in its original paint and I'll say that there are NO holes or scratches where the speed control would have been or any remnants of the missing decal ever being there. I too have the original dealer paperwork on the machine to indicate it is and always was an "S" model (not just an added cooler or power steering to a regular HT23), not to mention it has the correct decals of the "S" model. I too have the manual you refer too. I was never able to definitively find an answer as to why the missing speed control or of the aluminum dash on mine. I recruited some very knowledgeable people from here to try helping me out getting the answers and ended up no positive conclusion why... MAYBE someone here knows the answers or maybe not but, nice to know my tractor isn't the ONLY "S" model equipt this way and it could just be another one of those "THINGS" Bolens did for no apparent rhyme or reason on some of them. One thing that made me wonder about your "ugly duckling" was it has the regular ht23 hood decals not the "S" model decals, maybe that's a regular ht23 and the po just happened to have the manual to include the "S" model?

Original owner passed away and second owner could only give me the paperwork that came with it. No way to know if that is even the original hood... Would like to see the decals on yours.

Edited by Paulgo, May 31, 2017 - 01:56 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Zekkjacen, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#4 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 316 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 01:58 PM

Original owner passed away and second owner could only give me the paperwork that came with it. No way to know if that is even the original hood... Would like to see the decals on yours.

Very true, with any luck we can get some answers. Thanks for starting this thread.
  • blackjackjakexxix and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#5 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,105 Thanks
  • 2,321 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 04:03 PM

My HT23 is an S by the serial number - has P/S, cruise control but does not have HT23 on front of hood - I believe the hood is still original but who knows.  As stated on many occasions Bolens was notorious for changing things in mid stream production and adding, removing and changing decals and options.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5 Front.jpg
  • 10 Model and Serial Number.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, Zekkjacen, Paulgo and 2 others have said thanks

#6 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 316 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 04:13 PM

My HT23 is an S by the serial number - has P/S, cruise control but does not have HT23 on front of hood - I believe the hood is still original but who knows. As stated on many occasions Bolens was notorious for changing things in mid stream production and adding, removing and changing decals and options.

Nice you also have the factory ROPS as well Stew. I'm going to also throw up some pics of my hood (currently off because of replacing a broken bolster) and data plate (hard to see because it's kind of worn off but did as best as I could to capture it). From my understanding mine is pretty much in the beginning of the run in 1987.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170531_155413.jpg
  • 20170531_155220.jpg
  • 20170531_155050.jpg

Edited by kjmweld, May 31, 2017 - 04:17 PM.

#7 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,105 Thanks
  • 2,321 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 05:08 PM

The ROPS is a unique option but can make it a challenge to go under low hanging branches - did not realize at the time that I bought the tractor that the ROPS was not all that common.  Looks like yours is an earlier version but does not have the HT23 on the hood either - although it would not be the first time a part was sold off of a show room tractor and replaced.  Your left side hood decal does not appear to have much heat damage from the hot exhaust the way most of them usually do.  I see there are differences in the side and headlight decals between the hoods as well - gotta love factory confusion. One thing to keep in mind is that I believe Garden Way was starting to have financial difficulties around this time period and may have sourced items such as decals from two different suppliers if one happened to put them on hold until they paid the supplier - just a thought.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 7 Left Side.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, May 31, 2017 - 05:13 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Paulgo, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#8 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 316 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 05:20 PM

Your left side hood decal does not appear to have much heat damage from the hot exhaust the way most of them usually do. I see there are differences in the side and headlight decals between the hoods as well - gotta love factory confusion.

Nor the speed control, which would be nice to have. I can much easier live with the missing decal than the speed control. Don't NEED either, but would be nice to at least have it and that's the biggest mystery to me is why did this tractor not come with it. As far as the decal on the hood goes, this tractor has rite at about 400 hours on it, so maybe that is partially the reason the decal isn't bad. I'd be interested in purchasing the optional speed control option from someone if anyone reading this has one they'd be willing to sell. What did you mean by the decals on the hood being different? Between my tractor and yours I'm assuming?

Edited by kjmweld, May 31, 2017 - 05:28 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, 29 Chev and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#9 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,105 Thanks
  • 2,321 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 05:49 PM

Paul's first pictures shows the four colour side decal the same as your hood - his second set of pictures for the "ugly duckling" (his words not mine) shows the side decals the same as my hood with a white space and the Bolens in white along with the HT23 at the lower rear but the front headlight decal on his second set has FMC in it and mine does not and mine stops at the centre of the headlights whereas his extends to the outside edge of the headlight.  There may be three different sets of decals they used?? 

• blackjackjakexxix, Paulgo, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#10 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 316 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 06:00 PM

Paul's first pictures shows the four colour side decal the same as your hood - his second set of pictures for the "ugly duckling" (his words not mine) shows the side decals the same as my hood with a white space and the Bolens in white along with the HT23 at the lower rear but the front headlight decal on his second set has FMC in it and mine does not and mine stops at the centre of the headlights whereas his extends to the outside edge of the headlight. There may be three different sets of decals they used??

I didn't catch that & you're exactly correct, must be they did have 3 different sets. I'll have to look on the non "S" model HT23's and see if they used different ones on those as well now. I thought they were all the same with the exception of the newer "S" models.

#11 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,841 Thanks
  • 5,514 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 06:01 PM

1231cxc.jpg

Edited by wilberj, May 31, 2017 - 06:03 PM.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, case442 and 4 others have said thanks

#12 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 316 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 06:53 PM

Jerome, based on that paperwork & if I'm interpreting it correctly, mine doesn't have the speed control because it's not supposed to? (Serial # 0100167) I also wondered why mine didn't have anything after the 2389s like 01, 02, etc. on the data tag... am I to assume it's a 2389s-01? Do you have the drawings that paperwork refers to? & if so could you send me a copy of it? Am i correct in that my 23 is a 1987 or something different?

Edited by kjmweld, May 31, 2017 - 06:58 PM.

#13 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,841 Thanks
  • 5,514 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 07:01 PM

Jerome, based on that paperwork & if I'm interpreting it correctly, mine doesn't have the speed control because it's not supposed to? (Serial # 0100167) I also wondered why mine didn't have anything after the 2389s like 01, 02, etc. on the data tag... am I to assume it's a 2389s-01? Do you have the drawings that paperwork refers to? & if so could you send me a copy of it?

0100167  The red first two numbers of your serial number is the modal run.    The Speed control was added on the 02.  Yours is a 01 it dont have the speed control.      I wish I had the drawings I dont at this time maybe some day.  

Edited by wilberj, May 31, 2017 - 07:01 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix and kjmweld have said thanks

#14 kjmweld ONLINE  

kjmweld
  • 316 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 07:09 PM

0100167 The red first two numbers of your serial number is the modal run. The Speed control was added on the 02. Yours is a 01 it dont have the speed control. I wish I had the drawings I dont at this time maybe some day.

Ok, then it's obviously not an 87, what year did they come out? And are my decals correct for that year? If mine was the first year out and Stews is 2 runs newer it would seem that he'd have the newer style decals possibly and mine should be the older style like his. Maybe you cant answer that based on the information you have, im just curious is all because possibly some day ill clean it up nicer than it is now & repaint/re-decal it, & would be nice to know what it's "supposed" to be.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#15 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • 675 Thanks
  • 446 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 07:18 PM

Jerome, based on that paperwork & if I'm interpreting it correctly, mine doesn't have the speed control because it's not supposed to? (Serial # 0100167) I also wondered why mine didn't have anything after the 2389s like 01, 02, etc. on the data tag... am I to assume it's a 2389s-01? Do you have the drawings that paperwork refers to? & if so could you send me a copy of it? Am i correct in that my 23 is a 1987 or something different?

I thought your tag said Serial # 0400167, which would make it an '87. As an 01, the hood decals are wrong. The model will only say 2389S, without the extra run designation.

Edited by Paulgo, May 31, 2017 - 07:20 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you