Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,437 Thanks
  • 7,241 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 09:07 PM

I tried to make a walk behind cultivator into the Southern Cultivator 917.57555 frame with no sizes to go by just looking at the manual it looks close . I'm not sure on the hole spacing it looks like 6 in the small straight part but can't tell how the do the larger parts of the frame almost look like there's more hole on one side compare to the other If anyone has one to give me some measurements and maybe some pictures it would help .Thanks Al

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0552.JPG

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,437 Thanks
  • 7,241 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 09:20 PM

I left out how I did it . I started out by grinding the welds from the roller brackets and cutting off the sharp curved section wher the hitch pin is . Kind of guessed where the bends should be . Used the HF bender to do all the bends starting with the sharp bend . The short cross piece was from a 4 wheel tractor guide wheel shank , that I had just one of

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,437 Thanks
  • 7,241 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 05:37 AM

I haven't used the bender too many times but quickly found out I need to make an adjustable support to keep the piece being bent 90 degrees to the roller. at least until the piece is pinched tight and bending starts  . When bending the first bend it was about the middle so it was easy to see if it was tilted in the bender but when the second short bend it cocked a little so it was kind of bent up at the end , I got most back using a hammer so I'll need to remember it for next time .  

• KennyP said thank you

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,437 Thanks
  • 7,241 posts

Posted June 01, 2017 - 08:32 PM

After comparing my frame vs the picture I printed out from the manual I made mine longer then the original . I was afraid it would interfee with walking behind it . Laying it on the cultivator it doesnt seem too far back . No one had bolt spacing so I'll just take a guess on them . At work they have a hydraulic that can punch a 1/2" hole in 1/2" plate so my 3/8" holes in 3/8" steel should be no problem
  • Zekkjacen said thank you

#5 Zekkjacen OFFLINE  

Zekkjacen
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 38932
  • 145 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 02:37 AM

Yeah, sorry. I don't have a southern

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,437 Thanks
  • 7,241 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 04:16 AM

No problem , guess there weren't many made . I'm tempted to try making those " wing extenions " next but not sure if the material is something special like some kind of spring steel or not .