• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Heisenberg OFFLINE  

Heisenberg
  • Member No: 86623
  • 4 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 07:25 PM

Looking for an ANALOG tachometer for a single cylinder for my 212 project. I know Kirk's engines used to offer an analog tach for the Kohler K-series. If anyone has one they would be willing sell or possibly know where I can find one I'd love to know.

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,985 Thanks
  • 4,152 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 07:33 AM

I have been doing a fair amount of reading and the options are slim to none outside the Kirk tach.  

#3 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,237 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 09:39 AM

I have been doing a fair amount of reading and the options are slim to none outside the Kirk tach.

Agreed. Everybody in the Cub world wants a tach for their k series but nobody has found one that works properly.

#4 Heisenberg OFFLINE  

Heisenberg
  • 4 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 01:32 PM

I've been in contact with a few different manufacturers looking for one, no luck. I'm amazed that no one offers something like this. It's obviously possible to produce if kirk was selling them. I realize garden tractor guys isn't a huge market, probably why kirk stopped selling them. I know tons of guys from the power sports industry would buy these things up in a heart beat, from race cart guys to sand drag guys. Looks like there's some untapped potential here with the correct advertising.....

#5 Heisenberg OFFLINE  

Heisenberg
  • 4 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 01:45 PM

The tach idea came from a YouTube video of a 212 blowing snow. That 212 had an analog tach on it the same size as the factory voltmeter. I believe it was a 4k RPM tach, which showed the engine running a nice steady 35-3600 RPM while blowing so it appears to be pretty accurate. The video poster posted a part number for the tach which is made by a company called VDO. Unfortunately that particular tach appears to be discontinued or the # posted was incorrect. He said he got a signal right from the ignition and it sounded pretty straight forward. I contacted VDO about this and the only reply I got was we don't have anything like that. So that was pretty much a dead-end answer. The tach sold by kirk looks identical to the VDO tach in the video minus the Kirk's engines marking on the face plate.

#6 4tom OFFLINE  

4tom
  • Member No: 73635
  • 95 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 10:31 AM

I think you could use a 2 cylinder tach, with the understanding that actual RPM's are twice that displayed​?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wanted