• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David Carp OFFLINE  

David Carp
  • Member No: 87129
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 02:05 PM

I very recently purchased a Huskvarna YT42DXLS after 14 years of a sears 18Hp B&S.  I searched this site for recommendations and I ended up with the Husky.

The problem I am having is that my tractor, the limited slip transmission, does not allow me to make sharp turns, not wheel lock but close, even on level dry grass.  On turning the transmission locks causing the front wheels to plow, then it unlocks and the turn starts only to lock again, repeating until I unwind the steering wheel.  This results in a very jerky turn in which I never know where I am going to end up.

I have called Huskvarna and they told me that it was the steering drag links.  The phone person would not go beyond this and started to get a little testy when I pursued another explanation.

I called the local shop where I purchased it and they said there were no service bulletins and that they had no other complaints on these tractors.  They suggest I turned the wheel too sharply.  When I explained that the Husvarna web site specifically advertises the sharp turning of their tractors my local guy said that that was for all tractors and my tractor did not apply.

My questions:

Is something wrong with my specific tractor or is this a result of design?

Can it be fixed?

If it can't be fixed is this locking, unlocking, likely to shorten transmission life?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

David

• MH81 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,835 Thanks
  • 8,675 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 10:31 PM

Welcome to GTT. I am not familiar with your tractor but the dealer's response sounds like B.S.. To me, it sounds like the limited slip doesn't slip enough. That could be an incorrectly adjusted rear. Find a shop manual and read the proceedure for limited slip adjustment. Over the passed 49 years I seen many brand new products that had been incorrectly assembled. Post a video for us to see. Good Luck, Rick 

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,354 Thanks
  • 7,733 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 03:27 AM

There a differential lock that may be on or stuck? One brake dragging and making diff not work? Seems like problem somewhere.

#4 David Carp OFFLINE  

David Carp
  • Member No: 87129
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 05:15 PM

Thank all you that took the time to read my question and especially those that responded.

I got my local dealer to look at the problem and they called me yesterday to tell me that Huskvarna has agreed to replace the transmission.  I tried to find out more, if this was a one off or known problem or what the actual problem was, but he would not elaborate and maybe he didn't really know anyway.  The dealer told me in several conversations that no one else has complained, the factory never heard of this, there are no service bulletins, that there was nothing they could do, etc so I am not surprised that he didn't want to get into why what he told me turned out not to be true.

The Huskvarna help line told me that the problem was the steering drag links and when I pressed further the guy got testy and I let it go.  I went back to my local guy and he agreed to actually look at if only to mollify me.

We all know that the first thing you are going to hear from the dealer or the mfg is essentially "go away'.  This probably saves them all a lot of time listening to some small problem or misunderstanding of what the product is actually capable of.  There was no reason to get into a testy discussion with a guy on the phone that has to answer questions about the entire product line, probably doesn't know very much, and whose real job is to get you to go away.   While I was annoyed with everyone I spoke to that put me off I know from experience that getting testy back will only hurt my case. 

My next step was going to be calling or writing Huskvarna again and skipping the help service line.

Hope that helps anyone with the same problem that stumbles across this post.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 83 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted June 22, 2017 - 05:57 PM

I do not remember where I read the information, however TT's limited slip K46 became a known issue after it was introduced in the Husqvarna YT series. Shortly thereafter the dealers were told to replace the hydros if the customer was insistent enough. The issues you describe are why.
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#6 Chucktin OFFLINE  

Chucktin
  • Member No: 81957
  • 38 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 05:07 AM

Hmm. I bought a Husky that seems to have a LS fitted. I don't like the way it turns for sure. Will have to study this!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk