daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 09:50 PM

Casey. Put on an addition, or thin the herd as others have suggested. Dad just put another addition on the new barn. More room.

Works for us. Good luck.

#32 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 10:22 PM

Casey. Put on an addition, or thin the herd as others have suggested. Dad just put another addition on the new barn. More room.

Works for us. Good luck.

Dad and I build additions all the time, big ones lol, they are full too lol.

#33 greencoach47 OFFLINE  

greencoach47

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3236
  • 8 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 11:06 PM

Well being a new guy to this hobby and the owner of only 1 tractor in the midst of a complete restoration, I can not relate to your delema except to say " remember the enthusiasm of the first day's ". If a hobby is not fun, relaximg and rewarding anymore, why do it! Perhapes a new post should be started asking " why do we do it ".

#34 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 03:16 PM

If you just can't sell anything-trade it for something needed that is at or near the top of your list. Just like the tiller- If George gets the 444 and you sell the 222 why keep a Case tiller when you have no Case tractor to run it? The tillers aren't collectors items, so let it go too and use that money for a weekend getaway to clear your head.As far as making mental mistakes-welcome to the club, it happens to the best of us but thankfully it's generally only temporary. Make your list, prioritize, get some cash in your hand and take a well deserved break. One great thing about where you live- it's not far to some of the country's most beautiful areas know to man.

#35 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 05:43 PM

Well, George can't buy the Case 444 anyway. But the reason to keep a Case tiller when I haven't a Case is I have a hydraulic pump that I can use to drive the tiller, and mount it all on a different tractor. Pretty simple, make what I want out of what I have.

#36 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1546
  • 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 06:21 PM

you sound like me im serious im scraping them i am striping them down like a pole dancer and there geting listed on ebay i got to much Crap in my yard and im tired of the snakes and neighbors staring yea i found a copper head curled up in one of my parts tractors If it aint Aamco keeping me busy trying to Repair automatic transmission all day long i come home and try to get somthing done in my shed ha! i cant even get but maybe 4 of them to start and run the other four are to much to explain I think from now on its just one at a time I got lil bins to keep my small parts in and i am selling most of my Engines and scraping the tractors cause i get better money from them parted out then i can whole unit you think i would be used to it i do this all day long with cars i think i am trying to be a perfectionist and i want my tractors to be perfect rather than just slaped toghter this is me striping a allis chalmers 712 hydro tranny

DSC00350.jpg

#37 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 06:48 PM

I know what it's like to want your tractors looking like new. My advise would be to pick one of them and get rid of as much stuff as you need to in order to give that one tractor your undivided attention. That way you can take the time and money to make it perfect. Otherwise you are dividing your resources (Time, space and money) among many projects and compromising them all. You will get great satisfaction out of that one perfectly restored tractor and learn a lot about yourself in the process. Then move on to the next one.

#38 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 06:51 PM

I can't stand to part out tractors that have potential. Also, what are those 2 Kohlers under the workbench?

#39 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 07:17 PM

Those kohlers are a 10hp off jd 110 complete 12hp off a cubcadet complet and a 14hp off a jd 140 complete and yes there for sale they will be at the show in berryville the end of july and they will be price so i dont have to carry them back and they all ran when i took them off the tractors

#40 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 07:20 PM

yea those tractors did have potential to drain my wallet like the motor i am scraping 2morw it runs fine no knocks or smoke but the tractor eats belts and needs motor mounts and new pulleys i aint sinking any more money in it i am going to sell the motor and fix my jd 110 my cub 107 my allis chalmers 710 and my wheel horse C81 My farmall super A im fed up with it

#41 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Those kohlers are a 10hp off jd 110 complete 12hp off a cubcadet complet and a 14hp off a jd 140 complete and yes there for sale they will be at the show in berryville the end of july and they will be price so i dont have to carry them back and they all ran when i took them off the tractors

Let me know what the price is per, I may want to buy all three. Also, what is the style of all the bases on them?

#42 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 18, 2011 - 07:22 PM

yea those tractors did have potential to drain my wallet like the motor i am scraping 2morw it runs fine no knocks or smoke but the tractor eats belts and needs motor mounts and new pulleys i aint sinking any more money in it i am going to sell the motor and fix my jd 110 my cub 107 my allis chalmers 710 and my wheel horse C81 My farmall super A im fed up with it

What engine are you scraping?

#43 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 19, 2011 - 07:13 AM

How does a thread about an overwhelmed guy with too many tractors, turn into a post by the same guy wanting to buy a few motors? LOL

AS for me, I say cherry pick the best of what you have. Take a nice selection with options and attachments if you can. If there are any serious junk ones, and you have room, tear them down and store the parts. Then scrap what will not be saved from the junk parts tractors.

Then sell off the rest. IMHO 17 tractors is just way too many to have. Unless you plan to put together some sort of display for people to visit, you really can not use that many often enough to justify their keep. I think 5 is a good number (still a bit high) but good if they have a unique purpose. (Plow, blower, mower, tiller, etc...)

Once your main 5 are refurbished and fully up to par, then if you want to work on tractors still, look for a project to work on and sell. This should be something very sell able like an old cub or deere that will go easy, and if you can find it cheap enough.

#44 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 12:15 PM

Sounds to me like Casey should should set up an LLC and do this right :D :bigrofl:

#45 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 20, 2011 - 03:30 PM

...as others said make a list, got one, had it for several weeks now, but it doesn't help cause the what they need list is all in my head...

Take the time to write it down!

...So what am I doing wrong here??

First and foremost, you are too close to the problem and WAY stressed about it. The "What you're doing wrong" is not taking that break and stepping away from it! That is a vital part of the solution!

...I can't stand to part out tractors that have potential...

Any rusty piece of junk has "potential" to someone! If your resources are limited, resurrecting the dead may well be out of your reach! Parting out the roughest ones will enable you to fix the ones that you want to save the most and also to help others fix theirs too! You can't save them all Casey...trust me! If it's a one of a kind or rare, then someone will be interested in it as-is! Take the advice that's offered here in this thread and USE IT! Start by stepping away for a while!!