Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 07:02 AM

start with making a list.
Columns: Model, serial, year, running, what's wrong, what attachments, notes.
Once they are all on paper, order them in priority. No, they cannot all be "1"

You don't have to limit yourself to 5, but set a mental number before you do this. Parts units for the ones you are keeping don't count, but you have to look yourself in the eye and say "This is a parts unit, it will live outside and I have no intention of restoring".

:ditto: then get focused on the top of the list.

I get feeling the same way you are every now and then, and that applies to everyday
life as well. As Daniel said, walk away for a bit too.
Once you stroke a couple things off the list, it's amazing how big the light at the end
of the tunnel looks.
Just make sure you keep your shop door locked, in case Kenny shows up with a truck!!:D

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 07:07 AM

He's probably hiding them all. But he did invite me to come over.

#18 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 07:48 AM

I can't help you with the messy shop problem, I've never been able to keep mine clean for more than one day at a time and then my "stuff" takes over again! As to making a profit from this hobby about the only way I see it is to sell parts. It's hard to break even on complete machines. I see it as more that we are care takers of this old iron and when you pass one along to someone else to enjoy if you can break even is about the best you can do.
Sit down with a list of your inventory and decide what ones you really need and want and have room for and then go from there. I myself am going to have to thin the heard this year by a few tractors. I figure it is time for someone else to enjoy them.

#19 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 10:43 AM

I was in the same boat a year ago. But not with Tractors but older cars. I was up to 14 Cars on my property that were considered "Projects" I did just as posted before I got a notebook went out and made a list of what I got. Then went online and researched what the fair market value was for each in the respective condition. Then made a the list reflect which ones would be kept and what would be sold. I also looked at how easily I could come across that project again. and if it was like a needle in a hay stack then I kept it, but that only happened on one of the cars I kept. Now we are down to 4 project cars and there is one that I will be selling this summer just to get it off the list.

But to come to this conclusion I had to stand back and not think about it for a couple of weeks and then I saw things in a whole new light.

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 11:16 AM

Casey, your problems are already solved. Everything has already been divided amongst us during out private meeting in the chat room a couple minutes ago. You can always count on your friends here at GTtalk :D

#21 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 11:29 AM

Casey, your problems are already solved. Everything has already been divided amongst us during out private meeting in the chat room a couple minutes ago. You can always count on your friends here at GTtalk :D

:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

#22 Ron White OFFLINE  

Ron White

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 267
  • 123 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 02:10 PM

I don't think there are many of us that would get back the money we have into our collections. For me its not about the money, its just something I want to have and have the money for at the time.

Now if I had 17 riders that were mostly inop, I would pick a few I really want to keep, sell the others and put that money into get the kept ones back in running order if not a total restore on some.

I can see where the pick may be hard but in the end I think it would be well worth doing, I would much rather have 5 restored and usable than 17 non runners !!

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 02:49 PM

Going to post now, been reading all day on this thread. Of the 17 I have (can be seen in the registry) the current number that actually work is around 6 or 7. The rest (including those 6 or 7) need work performed to make them function properly. There are ones I bought and never fooled with, and then there are ones I have bought and used and no longer want to mess with. Of the 17 I have I could easily do away with 3 or 4, and 2 other tractors are really parts only (which I have to keep). If I could find buyers for the Case 222 and Gilson 16 HP I would be happy. And if George buys the Case 444 (minus the tiller I want to keep) for a sum I can live with I would do that too. The 4th one I could probably do away with is the MotoMower I am restoring, as it hasn't been touched in well over a year (lost interest). Now, that leaves me short a Case brand tractor but I would have the tiller, so that would probably be enough to make me happy lol. Then my Collection would be limited to primarily Springfield tractors, the Elec-Trak, and the Caterpillar (Craftsman GT18)(At least for a while). I of course would still have the walk behinds but that too is not the main problem. Sadly I would free up just enough space to refill the current area back with the ones outside (that want to come in) but then mabey I could begin to function again.

Then as others said make a list, got one, had it for several weeks now, but it doesn't help cause the what they need list is all in my head. I am more concerned about making errors when Identifying other peoples tractors/equipment (the Springfields). The errors I am making seem monumental to me because it is on the rare components, and I just feel like I should be better about this. Worse than that I have to go update the Springfield article this weekend because I learned so much more it needs partial rewriting.... So what am I doing wrong here??

If anyone has solutions to any of my problems, let me know, I need them...

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 05:17 PM

Casey, I have fooled around in this thread long enough. Time to help. You are to only one to come up with the correct solution. You know which tractors mean the most to you,whether monetarily or otherwise. Take a break from them for a while, get what youwant straight in your head, then make your list of what is most important.

#25 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 05:20 PM

Just like Kenny said, you already know which ones you want to get rid of so go ahead and sell them. I might be able to make a deal with you on the 444 but not if it is close to your numbers LOL.

The only problem is, in the end.. it is just a vicious cycle and you will go through this again. :D

#26 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 06:40 PM

Casey's Elec-trak sat neglected for 8 or so years thinking it was just a matter of a " few " hours to bring back to life. When I started on it again old memories came back easily , but still more than a little time was needed. An old saying in aviation is - if you run out of ideas before elevation bad things happen. I now have 3 or more paths thru my garage after12 yrs of ownership. The thing I miss most is a good cigar but I aint going back. Good fiddle or bagpipe music or piano music pays off . Paying for my daughter's piano lessons I never resented. So my retired telephone friend says he has a mott flail mower for me. I bring home a Wheelhorse Raider 12 and 857 with no decks. For those with dyslexia---- FTW!!!!!!

#27 Encrypt OFFLINE  

Encrypt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 502
  • 9 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 07:26 PM

Casey, it's hard but you will definately need a list of what you want to do with them. Taking a break from them and coming back will help that way you can have a clear decision. But it is a vicious cycle! I myself have a lot of "projects" that I need to get done myself. It's hard for me just do to the time factor. With little ones running around my priorities belong to them first.

#28 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 07:44 PM

Just a thought, but I can see where you're coming from.
You walk into the shop, and see all the projects ahead of you. That's overwelming.
All the lists in the world won't stop that feeling.
Buy a big tarp if you feel it's a must to cover them, but get everything out of the shop that
your not working on.
Leave only the one at the top of the list.

#29 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 07:47 PM

I know exactly what happens to amass my collection, but I don't know how to sell anything, cause I don't think I actually have sold anything LOL. Now I did sell the Tundra, but that was by giving my friend the title and keys and told him, "go ahead and sell it." I think in the end I lost a few hundred bucks on the truck but it's gone lol.

#30 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 08:02 PM

I will tell you what. Load all on a trailer so you can store them here. See not selling them just relocating them. But don't be shocked if you open the mail one day and see a check and a note saying that the tractors are no longer here as i was robbed and that is you part of the insurance money lol.