Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,706 Thanks
  • 1,791 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 12:19 AM

So, in another post I talked about a problem I had with the dash on my recently acquired Dayton 3Z678 (MTD 995) GT. The dash is fiberglass, and it has weathered to the point that the fiberglass has "bloomed". 

MTD Dash Sticker Resized.jpg

Most people recommended sanding it with Scotchbright, then putting resin over it to seal it. 

I went to Home Depot with the intention of doing just that--even picked out the resin and some other things needed for the job.

However, as I was going down the aisle, I noticed cans of a Rust Oleum product--spray-in bedliner in an aerosol can.  Now, it'll take a lot of cans to do your pickup bed, but it occurred to me that bedliner material is pretty durable, weather resistant, and tends to cover a multitude of sins when you cover something with it.

So, I bought a can.  Took it home and tried it on a small spot under the dash... Results were encouraging... it dries to the touch in less than 30 minutes, and can be recoated within one hour or after 24 hours.  Takes 3 days to completely cure, though. It left a covering a with a little less sheen than satin, and also has a kind of mottled texture to it... which isn't half bad.

So, today after I installed a new float to replace the OEM one that was leaking, I changed the oil in the ol' girl, then tackled the prep and coating of the dash.

I sprayed thinks down with brake cleaner to make sure there was no grease or oil on it, then dry sanded with a green Scotchbrite pad.  It knocked a lot of the "whiskers" off, and left a roughened surface that should allow the spray to adhere well. I rinsed it off with water, then let it dry for a couple hours.

MTD Dash Sanded LH.jpg

I then masked things off--no comments from you pros... the last time I did any serious bodywork like this was at least 20 years ago... and I wasn't very good then, either.

MTD Dash Prepped RH.jpg

After taping and masking off, I started spraying the dash.  The stuff goes on runny just like spray paint, though a heavier coat so it's easy to have runs and drips.  I tried to tack coat it first, but got a little too close, and ended up with some runs, but I'm not that concerned... this is to make the tractor usable, not show quality.

I let the first coat dry for about 40 minutes, then applied a second coat... let it dry for 30 minutes or so, and applied a third coat.

Most of the fiberglass strands are no longer noticeable... the few that are are well coated, and shouldn't create a problem in use.

MTD Dash w_Coating.jpg

MTD Dash Prepped LH.jpg MTD Dash Sprayed RH.jpg

So, there it is... time will tell if this was a smart idea or not, but I'm very optimistic about it.

Regards,

Smitty

• Alc, KennyP, gopher and 5 others have said thanks

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,978 Thanks
  • 3,248 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 01:20 AM

Does that stuff set up hard? Or is it more of a rubber?

Looks good. Hey anything is better than it was lol.

• KennyP said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,126 Thanks
  • 46,764 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 06:44 AM

Came out looking good! Got the same questions as Eric above.

#4 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 558 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 07:04 AM

Great idea Smitty, thanks for sharing. I need to fix a couple of cracks on my 999 between the rubber bumpers and will probably use your technique to cover everything up. :thumbs:

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,901 Thanks
  • 6,923 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 07:37 AM

Might try that on my White 1655 and Cub 1512.  Neither have bumpers and the hood rides on the top of the dash.  vibration wears through the dash.  I use news papers all the time for masking off areas like you did.  Not a thing wrong with it.  Body shops can use the fancy stuff as someone else is paying for it.

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,706 Thanks
  • 1,791 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 08:31 AM

Does that stuff set up hard? Or is it more of a rubber?

Looks good. Hey anything is better than it was lol.

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,706 Thanks
  • 1,791 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 08:35 AM

It's not soft like a tire or a rubber ball, but it's softer than paint... It would probably work very well as sound deadening in engine covers, etc.

The thing that remains to be seen is if it picks up a lot of dust and is hard to clean.

Smitty
  • Sawdust said thank you

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6,010 Thanks
  • 3,490 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 09:17 AM

I like the idea & it looks good. I can see several uses for this. One I know for sure is not a good idea is coating a deck...grass just clings to it.lol

Edited by Sawdust, May 30, 2017 - 09:17 AM.

#9 BrokenTractor OFFLINE  

BrokenTractor
  • Member No: 69513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 01:06 PM

Smitty looks great.

I wonder if topping off what you did with 

Rhino Shine Ultra

would add to the shine?

I have never tried it personally but I am going to take your idea and redo the dash on my riding lawn mower with Rust Oleum.

BrokenTractor

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#10 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,706 Thanks
  • 1,791 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 07:24 PM

It might work just fine...I kind of like the matte finish--lessens glare...

Smitty
  • MolonLabe said thank you

#11 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 558 Thanks
  • 321 posts

Posted May 30, 2017 - 07:26 PM

Someone needs to start a thread on the many uses of truck bed liner. I personally have used it on other projects with excellent results.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fiberglass, dash repair, mtd 995, dayton