So, in another post I talked about a problem I had with the dash on my recently acquired Dayton 3Z678 (MTD 995) GT. The dash is fiberglass, and it has weathered to the point that the fiberglass has "bloomed".
Most people recommended sanding it with Scotchbright, then putting resin over it to seal it.
I went to Home Depot with the intention of doing just that--even picked out the resin and some other things needed for the job.
However, as I was going down the aisle, I noticed cans of a Rust Oleum product--spray-in bedliner in an aerosol can. Now, it'll take a lot of cans to do your pickup bed, but it occurred to me that bedliner material is pretty durable, weather resistant, and tends to cover a multitude of sins when you cover something with it.
So, I bought a can. Took it home and tried it on a small spot under the dash... Results were encouraging... it dries to the touch in less than 30 minutes, and can be recoated within one hour or after 24 hours. Takes 3 days to completely cure, though. It left a covering a with a little less sheen than satin, and also has a kind of mottled texture to it... which isn't half bad.
So, today after I installed a new float to replace the OEM one that was leaking, I changed the oil in the ol' girl, then tackled the prep and coating of the dash.
I sprayed thinks down with brake cleaner to make sure there was no grease or oil on it, then dry sanded with a green Scotchbrite pad. It knocked a lot of the "whiskers" off, and left a roughened surface that should allow the spray to adhere well. I rinsed it off with water, then let it dry for a couple hours.
I then masked things off--no comments from you pros... the last time I did any serious bodywork like this was at least 20 years ago... and I wasn't very good then, either.
After taping and masking off, I started spraying the dash. The stuff goes on runny just like spray paint, though a heavier coat so it's easy to have runs and drips. I tried to tack coat it first, but got a little too close, and ended up with some runs, but I'm not that concerned... this is to make the tractor usable, not show quality.
I let the first coat dry for about 40 minutes, then applied a second coat... let it dry for 30 minutes or so, and applied a third coat.
Most of the fiberglass strands are no longer noticeable... the few that are are well coated, and shouldn't create a problem in use.
So, there it is... time will tell if this was a smart idea or not, but I'm very optimistic about it.